Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Monday

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Can you show me where that statistic is detailed?

You think it is insane. That doesn't mean it is.

I hope you get a job that makes 100k.
    https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
      Check at Bernie for America.com I bet those stats are on there:wink: Actual stats have no place on here anyway...you of all people should know that. ( Hows are loan coming for the new Gulfstream? )
      Hey, fly that bird out here and let's sign the loan papers.

Comment

This

Comment

Yes. I typed in teh 100K figure, and it didn't say it was insane. It did say that it was at the 88.2 percentile. That doesn't convince me that the amount is insane.

You need to work on these things before I hire you at 100K/year. I may be able to get over my anti GV bias as well.....

Comment

Yes. I typed in teh 100K figure, and it didn't say it was insane. It did say that it was at the 88.2 percentile. That doesn't convince me that the amount is insane.

You need to work on these things before I hire you at 100K/year. I may be able to get over my anti GV bias as well.....
            Sorry. +100k/year to coach a game to essentially teenagers = insane.

100k/year for anything is insane money. Doesn't mean it isn't worth it. But it is enough money to afford anything and everything you could ever want. It is an amount that the *vast* majority of people will never reach, and will only dream of reaching. To the large majority of people in the country, I guarantee 100k is an insane amount of money to have access to each year. You don't have to agree with it, but I am very confident in my statement.
            Last edited by KleShreen; 11-20-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
              Not really. It's a special skill and should impact the kids far beyond a football skill. I could easily argue that it's more valuable than what many a professor does... and this is coming from someone that places high value on education. And you know that the coaches put in far far more time and effort than the profs.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                Not really. It's a special skill and should impact the kids far beyond a football skill. I could easily argue that it's more valuable than what many a professor does... and this is coming from someone that places high value on education. And you know that the coaches put in far far more time and effort than the profs.
                I don't disagree with the last part. But I disagree with being a football coach being more valuable than a professor. I know what coaches go through and what they commit to their craft. And I know the impact they can have on young lives. But it seems a disservice to professors with masters and doctorates and granting the ability to students for the lifelong ability to open up minds and think critically to say they might be less valuable. If that were the case, athletics wouldn't even be a part of college, and they'd be their own separate entity. But they're not, because the word "student" comes first in student-athlete (or is supposed to, at least).

I'm not some "coach hater" or anything like that. I know exactly what they sacrifice to do their jobs effectively and all the lives impacted when one gets let go. But this "they're gonna lose their livelihood and children are going to be destroyed if they get fired" attitude is a little over-the-top given that the profession works much differently from almost every other, has more connections than almost any other profession to keep people in the field, and given that there's no field of education in school to study that pushes you in to the career. It is an optional choice they make, as they see the benefit to outweigh the risk when they get in to the profession. They all know that. In most cases, especially in college, you've gotta be fired multiple times to eventually be pushed out of the profession. Yea, if some guy is a WR coach and a teacher at a high school in a low-funded area, and he's relying on that supplemental income from being WR coach to support his family because they can't live strictly on his teacher salary, then yea, I'm upset for him when the head coach gets fired and he gets let go as a result. That sucks. But the guys who have worked up to the college level already? They most likely have a college education, and they most likely have a number of connections in a number of places to get another job in coaching. If not, they have their education to lean on and have to go in to the real world like the rest of people. They gambled with their skills and lost. It happens. But they'll be okay.

Comment

I don't disagree with the last part. But I disagree with being a football coach being more valuable than a professor. I know what coaches go through and what they commit to their craft. And I know the impact they can have on young lives. But it seems a disservice to professors with masters and doctorates and granting the ability to students for the lifelong ability to open up minds and think critically to say they might be less valuable. If that were the case, athletics wouldn't even be a part of college, and they'd be their own separate entity. But they're not, because the word "student" comes first in student-athlete (or is supposed to, at least).

I'm not some "coach hater" or anything like that. I know exactly what they sacrifice to do their jobs effectively and all the lives impacted when one gets let go. But this "they're gonna lose their livelihood and children are going to be destroyed if they get fired" attitude is a little over-the-top given that the profession works much differently from almost every other, has more connections than almost any other profession to keep people in the field, and given that there's no field of education in school to study that pushes you in to the career. It is an optional choice they make, as they see the benefit to outweigh the risk when they get in to the profession. They all know that. In most cases, especially in college, you've gotta be fired multiple times to eventually be pushed out of the profession. Yea, if some guy is a WR coach and a teacher at a high school in a low-funded area, and he's relying on that supplemental income from being WR coach to support his family because they can't live strictly on his teacher salary, then yea, I'm upset for him when the head coach gets fired and he gets let go as a result. That sucks. But the guys who have worked up to the college level already? They most likely have a college education, and they most likely have a number of connections in a number of places to get another job in coaching. If not, they have their education to lean on and have to go in to the real world like the rest of people. They gambled with their skills and lost. It happens. But they'll be okay.
                  When was the last time you heard of a prof being fired for doing a lousy job? I have a few in mind that could go and I bet if you are honest you do as well. How many profs make insane money at GVSU? You know that over the 100K mark...100s do...

Comment

When was the last time you heard of a prof being fired for doing a lousy job? I have a few in mind that could go and I bet if you are honest you do as well. How many profs make insane money at GVSU? You know that over the 100K mark...100s do...
                    A bunch of them. Mostly ones who have been there for decades and have tenure. This is from 2011:

There's plenty of professors who should be fired for doing a lousy job. But frequently, those lousy ones do not make it to tenure. Or, the lousy ones are the ones who *do* have tenure, which is what I experienced quite a bit.

I'm guessing a lot of those salaries are almost double the numbers listed here if they are still around.

Comment

A bunch of them. Mostly ones who have been there for decades and have tenure. This is from 2011:

There's plenty of professors who should be fired for doing a lousy job. But frequently, those lousy ones do not make it to tenure. Or, the lousy ones are the ones who *do* have tenure, which is what I experienced quite a bit.

I'm guessing a lot of those salaries are almost double the numbers listed here if they are still around.
                      And yet a coach making 100K is insane,,,,btw the coach probably puts in 3 times the hours...

Comment

And yet a coach making 100K is insane,,,,btw the coach probably puts in 3 times the hours...
                        I am aware.

Tenure and inflated salaries are part of the reason why college has become a crippling, life-long debt for people who go to college. Because the costs are so exorbitant that it is right on the tipping point of not making sense to go to college if you aren't getting a large amount of it discounted via scholarships. But I find coaches making that much money, at educational institutions, to be crazy. But that's how it goes.

And again, anyone on that list can be fired today, and they're all going to be perfectly fine. They would all find jobs within a matter of days for comparable pay. And I would maintain that the coaches would have an easier time than the professors.

All this is irrelevant. You were speaking about the assistants and lower-paid coaches. I still stand by my statement that the vast majority of them will also be just fine if they are let go. Most of them, no matter what school in college, are going to find a number of positions suitable for them with similar pay if they were good coaches and just secondary firings because a head coach got let go. If they were let go on their own skills and merit, then there's probably a reason for it and while it sucks for them, they knew that going in.

Comment

100k/year for anything is insane money. Doesn't mean it isn't worth it. But it is enough money to afford anything and everything you could ever want. It is an amount that the *vast* majority of people will never reach, and will only dream of reaching. To the large majority of people in the country, I guarantee 100k is an insane amount of money to have access to each year. You don't have to agree with it, but I am very confident in my statement.
                          If you say that it is insane to you, that is fine. That is an absolute statement that is neither true or false.

Whether a majority of people will not make that amount has no bearing on the insane nature of making 100k.

And it isn't enough money to afford everything and anything you want. It might make things more comfortable, but it won't buy you everything.

Comment

Sign me up for that insane salary for being the director of sustainability or the curator position. There are some other choice positions on that list!

Comment

Sign me up for that insane salary for being the director of sustainability or the curator position. There are some other choice positions on that list!

Comment

Manager of the Meadows Golf Course seems like a good one. I mean, it's open for like 8 months a year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X