• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland to the GMAC

For 2021-22.

https://goashlandeagles.com/general/...20200518e5pdhh
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

So this leaves the GLIAC with 8 football members right? So we'd need three OOC games to qualify for the postseason?

Comment

What's the next steps for the GLIAC? As far as football schools, does the GLIAC look at schools in the GLVC? A joint football conference again? What does everyone think?

Comment

I am sad to see Ashland leave for a number of reasons...one of course is that they always bring a great team to play to the game...I know finances are bad in Ashland right now so this does make sense in a way. Ashland will be the favorite in the GMAC I would think so its probably a good move for them. Hate to see ya leave guys but the GLIAC will survive to fight another day. I am sure some fans will be happy at Ashland...enjoy the new conference kids.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
          I am sad to see Ashland leave for a number of reasons...one of course is that they always bring a great team to play to the game...I know finances are bad in Ashland right now so this does make sense in a way. Ashland will be the favorite in the GMAC I would think so its probably a good move for them. Hate to see ya leave guys but the GLIAC will survive to fight another day. I am sure some fans will be happy at Ashland...enjoy the new conference kids.
          They might not lose a conference athletic contest in any sport for a while...lol.
          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Tough loss for the GLIAC but geographically I understand it.. Where do you guys go next? Do you think Madonna or Tech make the move over from NAIA? I remember a couple years ago there was discussion about Windsor, a Canadian school correct? I am not to familiar with the geography in your neck of the woods. Not sure if there are close GLVC schools that you can grab? Are there any other members that don't offer football that may look to start?

Comment

First I will say I will miss the GLIAC, it was a great conference and I know Ashland was a proud member. That being said, this has been in the works for awhile, and the latest developments with the Corona Virus just pushed it through. With the strain on the economics for higher education cuts were needed, and the GMAC offers a huge advantage with sports travel budgets. Its probably the difference in having to cut a program or reducing programs money and not having too. I know there are still many people in Ashland that never wanted to see this happen, but it just made to much sense not to. Getting to play 5 or 6 teams within an hour drive compared to none is a huge cost saver. While I believe that Ashland wanted to stay in the GLIAC I think they felt the conference was moving farther away from them with every team they added. I'm sure Ashland will still be prominent on many GLIAC schedules, but at the end of the day if this helps strengthen AU's athletics program then it was the right move.

Comment

I completely understand the financial reasons, especially with the budget cuts our governor has made. Smaller footprint, hopefully the Eagles can keep some ooc games with some rivals in the Gliac.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                  Tough loss for the GLIAC but geographically I understand it.. Where do you guys go next? Do you think Madonna or Tech make the move over from NAIA? I remember a couple years ago there was discussion about Windsor, a Canadian school correct? I am not to familiar with the geography in your neck of the woods. Not sure if there are close GLVC schools that you can grab? Are there any other members that don't offer football that may look to start?
                  Not sure many NAIA schools would want to make a move to NCAA until the economy and enrollment return to somewhat normal post-pandemic. One school that's been talked about before on the GLVC board for possible expansion is Indiana Wesleyan. A university that's had a strong history at the NAIA level, definitely has some good D2 level facilities, including a nice new football stadium, and they sponsor all of the GLIAC sports. They have about 3,500 on-campus enrollment and another 10,500 of online distance site students so IWU would give the GLIAC a stronger footprint in Indiana and Indianapolis area where IWU has a few extension sites.

Comment

Ashland will be the favorite in the GMAC I would think so its probably a good move for them.
                    I'm confused. Is this the same ASHLAND that got crushed 53-18 by 7-4 FINDLAY who finished in third place in the GMAC ?

Comment

Tough call to make right now. With the pandemic right now, it might be really hard to know what's going to happen the next couple of months. And I think that small private schools are going to feel it worse than the public schools. Even if there's classes in the fall this year, I could see a lot of kids electing to take a gap year or just not go to an on campus school for now. Drop the enrollment and the budgets are going to be looking bad. Urbana ain't going to be the last school to close because of the Corona.

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post
                        First I will say I will miss the GLIAC, it was a great conference and I know Ashland was a proud member. That being said, this has been in the works for awhile, and the latest developments with the Corona Virus just pushed it through. With the strain on the economics for higher education cuts were needed, and the GMAC offers a huge advantage with sports travel budgets. Its probably the difference in having to cut a program or reducing programs money and not having too. I know there are still many people in Ashland that never wanted to see this happen, but it just made to much sense not to. Getting to play 5 or 6 teams within an hour drive compared to none is a huge cost saver. While I believe that Ashland wanted to stay in the GLIAC I think they felt the conference was moving farther away from them with every team they added. I'm sure Ashland will still be prominent on many GLIAC schedules, but at the end of the day if this helps strengthen AU's athletics program then it was the right move.
                        That and I'm going to miss getting to call you bums the Nick Strance Brigade. ;-)

Comment

I'm officially worried about GLIAC football now. 16 football-playing teams in 2012 down to just 8 in 2021. The number is shocking, but maybe this is how conferences are supposed to be? I myself am not sure. I highly doubt Lake Superior will bring back football and I'm not sure that Parkside and PNW would start a team now.
                          Last edited by mtsax305; 05-21-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I don't see the issue beyond an extra OOC game. Solid 8 teams, GMAC & GLVC relatively close for OCC. Northwood is the only private, in the middle of the geo footprint. None of the 8 should be going anywhere, right? Unless you expect NW or Tech to stop football due to current economic conditions?

Comment

I haven't heard anything to that effect, so hopefully not. The entire time I've followed the GLIAC, it's been a massive conference. Looking at other conferences, 10-12 football teams seems to be the norm, though 8 wouldn't be unheard of. I guess it was shocking to me. Scheduling that OOC game may have been a problem for Ferris this past season, they only played 10 games (or they wanted to play only 10, not sure if that's normal).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X