X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    A local external name to consider...Pete Stuursma. Right down the road at Hope College where he's 46-15. Long time East Grand Rapids head coach where he went 162-34 and won 7 state championships.
    This is a name I really like for an external candidate.

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

What is happening right now lol
    Quite the turnaround in less than 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
    Please stop the nonsense about GV going to D1, they don't have the sports facilities, fan base , recruiting, size of school or budget, it just doesn't make any sense. A Lefty president who was a Dean at Ferris, probably not on her list of priorites anyways. M.M. skipping town. For Pete's sake, FCS?
    ​​​​Stay focused here, and concentrate on steamrolling that team up North. FCS, really?
    ​​​​​
    Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
    Ferris and Grand Valley would likely compete playing FCS teams now, the only difference being that Grand Valley has the facilities, fan base, and maybe the money. Ferris and GV both have been recruiting good enough athletes and players for FCS football. Ferris doesn't have the facilities or the fan base, and likely not the money for FCS Football. Its FCS and considerable travelling. I can't imagine that FCS schools are going out of their way to play many of the championship level D2 teams either.

Ferris does have high profile D1 experience in another sport, since the 1970s, and have even played in a Natl Championship game ( 2012 ) at the highest level in that D1 sport. With that D1 experience in that sport, and all the travelling , I don't think it's likely Ferris would pursue FCS level football. NMU, the only other Gliac school that might be somewhat attractive for FCS , has a nice domed football stadium facility, but that's about it.

The other problem is all the FCS teams in the Midwest are in Illinois, Iowa ,Indiana, Missouri, Youngstown State in Ohio, and a few in North and South Dakota . Otherwise lots of travel out East, down South, or farther West. There are no FCS teams in Michigan, it goes from five FBS teams, and jumps right down to the D2 level. Conference affiliation would be big, not sure how many teams would play independents. GV going to FCS football may be
    viable
    What is happening right now lol

Leave a comment:

• GliacRules!
    replied
    Ferris and Grand Valley would likely compete playing FCS teams now, the only difference being that Grand Valley has the facilities, fan base, and maybe the money. Ferris and GV both have been recruiting good enough athletes and players for FCS football. Ferris doesn't have the facilities or the fan base, and likely not the money for FCS Football. Its FCS and considerable travelling. I can't imagine that FCS schools are going out of their way to play many of the championship level D2 teams either.

Ferris does have high profile D1 experience in another sport, since the 1970s, and have even played in a Natl Championship game ( 2012 ) at the highest level in that D1 sport. With that D1 experience in that sport, and all the travelling , I don't think it's likely Ferris would pursue FCS level football. NMU, the only other Gliac school that might be somewhat attractive for FCS , has a nice domed football stadium facility, but that's about it.

The other problem is all the FCS teams in the Midwest are in Illinois, Iowa ,Indiana, Missouri, Youngstown State in Ohio, and a few in North and South Dakota . Otherwise lots of travel out East, down South, or farther West. There are no FCS teams in Michigan, it goes from five FBS teams, and jumps right down to the D2 level. Conference affiliation would be big, not sure how many teams would play independents. GV going to FCS football may be
    viable

​​​​

Leave a comment:

• GV Retired Bum
    replied
    Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

If this were the case, do you think that all of the coaches and recruits would keep this quiet?
    Would be best case scenario... But not what happened. The guys had no idea until a day or two ago when they heard some rumors.

Leave a comment:

• GV Retired Bum
    replied
    From what I am hearing... Alot of the current GV players are saying Wooster needs to be the next head coach. I think its a smart hire, keep recruiting class intact, current players happy, and he has only been there for a couple years so he has a different perspective on things compared to other guys.

Still hope they make him earn it against external candidates though. The job is too highly sought after to just give it to someone. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen
    Best case scenario is that everyone at GV has known about this since shortly after Fickell got hired in November, and all the recruits knew about it already. If that's the case, then any option should be on the table.
    If this were the case, do you think that all of the coaches and recruits would keep this quiet?

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    A local external name to consider...Pete Stuursma. Right down the road at Hope College where he's 46-15. Long time East Grand Rapids head coach where he went 162-34 and won 7 state championships.

Leave a comment:

• mtsax305
    replied
    I hear 2010 GLIAC South Division Champion, 2011 National Runner Up, 2019 Wooden Shoes Winner, and 3-time GLIAC Coach of the Year Paul Winters is available! /s

Though that would be the darkest timeline for WSU if he went to GV and won a championship...

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied
    Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Good to know you never met Koehler. That dude is a nut job. Great coach, but insane lol
    Only know Koehler from time at GV. Maybe he’s changed. But in terms of insane and fire, nothing like Martin.

Final hypothetical list for me:
    1) Brechin
    2) Ryan Brady
    3) Postma

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Trust me on random google numbers...LOL...they aint that close anymore...and just because someone was a good position coach years ago, factor in the academic side and can he actually be a head coach? Lots of moving pieces.
    Who are you referring to? The internal hires that have been proposed are only position coaches right now. Brechin and Koehler are at least DC and OC respectively in D1. Honestly though, they're just names thrown out that are external but have ties to the school. I'm not hung up on either of them. I just hope that we get some quality external candidates and don't make a rash move due to timing. If an internal guy is the best option for the program with all candidates considered, then great.

Leave a comment:

• yote_7
    replied
    Ouch, this is gonna be bad for GV in the short term. We'll see what happens after that

Leave a comment:

• SVSUAlum
    replied
    I think there are many different outcomes to the coaching search at GVSU. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the top few choices come from other GLIAC schools. 1. Ryan Brady at SVSU. Has brought back SVSU to the top tier of the league and is one of the few teams that should have beat Ferris the last 2 years and actually seemed to out coach them. He is also a former Laker who played on national championship GVSU teams.
    2. Sparky McEwen at Davenport. Incredible success this last season and built the Panthers into contenders very quickly.
    3. Postma or Wooster at GVSU. This is an easy route to go and try to keep the recruits you have but also probably the riskiest of all options. No proven success as a head coach for either. They could be great but they also could get passed by SVSU and Davenport in the next few years. Could Laker nation handle being 4th in the GLIAC?

Seems to be a lot on the line for the administration at GVSU. Seems nearly everyone wanted MM gone so I hope you have a good plan moving forward.

Leave a comment:

• GV Retired Bum
    replied
    Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

I know it’s just hypothetical anyways, but I’d choose Brechin over Koehler any day. Koehler was a nice guy and a good coach,
    but he doesn’t command the room. Brechin was baptized by Kelly and Martin. Again, I know it won’t happen, but that he would be my choice.
    Good to know you never met Koehler. That dude is a nut job. Great coach, but insane lol

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied
    Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Trust me on random google numbers...LOL...they aint that close anymore...and just because someone was a good position coach years ago, factor in the academic side and can he actually be a head coach? Lots of moving pieces.
    I know it’s just hypothetical anyways, but I’d choose Brechin over Koehler any day. Koehler was a nice guy and a good coach,
    but he doesn’t command the room. Brechin was baptized by Kelly and Martin. Again, I know it won’t happen, but that he would be my choice.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X