Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather currently says thunderstorms on Saturday, so that should be fun.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

That's cute...lol GV has to resort to sending 7 and playing man across the board. That's not being more physical than someone, it's selling out because you know in your base D you can't hold up. If your offense is predicated on a running QB, and your QB has a fractured foot and can't move...not sure running him on power up the gut is a good idea. TA countered your blitzing by going 4-5 wide and throwing the ball.

In the first game Mitchell had absolutely no mobility, he was sacked 5x. Playoff game, he was healthier. Sacked 1x and had 87yds rushing. So TA not even trying to out physical you equals you having a playoff game at home, getting outrushed 142-121 by a team running 4-5 wr and whose tailback was 5'7 and 165 lbs. Like I said, cute.

Gulker was a freshman last year coming out of a wing t offense in high school. He didn't even know how to set his feet. He's a lot better, especially with the deep ball. Guarantee if you blitz seven and man up this game, regardless of who's in there, your student section will be feasting on toast all afternoon.
      What does this even mean lol

Additionally, the student section is going to be empty after halftime, no matter what, so. lol

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

What does this even mean lol

Additionally, the student section is going to be empty after halftime, no matter what, so. lol
        If you don't know..don't worry. It is beyond the reasoning of mere mortals.

Student section gone after halftime of a game against you're arch rivals when they're ranked #1 in the country? Only at Grand Valley...smh

Comment

GLIAC refs and bad ball security weather....sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

That's cute...lol GV has to resort to sending 7 and playing man across the board. That's not being more physical than someone, it's selling out because you know in your base D you can't hold up. If your offense is predicated on a running QB, and your QB has a fractured foot and can't move...not sure running him on power up the gut is a good idea. TA countered your blitzing by going 4-5 wide and throwing the ball.

In the first game Mitchell had absolutely no mobility, he was sacked 5x. Playoff game, he was healthier. Sacked 1x and had 87yds rushing. So TA not even trying to out physical you equals you having a playoff game at home, getting out rushed 142-121 by a team running 4-5 wr and whose tailback was 5'7 and 165 lbs. Like I said, cute.

Gulker was a freshman last year coming out of a wing t offense in high school. He didn't even know how to set his feet. He's a lot better, especially with the deep ball. Guarantee if you blitz seven and man up this game, regardless of who's in there, your student section will be feasting on toast all afternoon.
            Admittedly I wasn't super clear in my original post on meaning the physical running schemes. Rushing yards doesn't necessarily equal being physical and you can still be physical without using a physical running schemes. There are different types of running games, some based on physicality, some based on out-scheming, some based on speed on the edges and some that aren't even technically running the ball. All types can be successful, and TA uses all of them and balances them based on the opponent, that's what makes him so great. TA runs a lot of different schemes, some games QB counter, QB power, RB counter are big parts of the game plan, others they are not and he runs a lot of zone read, option and zoom plays. Since JVL TA has not used much of the prior and instead has used more of the latter against GV, he did some with Jayru but it hasn't been really any part the base game plan vs GV since they changed their defensive scheme a few years ago. And as far as GV blitzing a lot, watch them vs SV, Assumption, NW Mo (last year) just to name a few, that is a big part of how their defense is designed. I'm not saying any of what I have said as a knock against either team, it's just the evidence that has been on the field. And just FYI if you send 7, you can't even possibly play man across the board, sending 7 leaves you too short in coverage to play man, so that defense doesn't exist outside of maybe pop warner football.
            Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 10-11-2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Hopefully no thunderstorms. That could mean lightning delays.

Comment

[QUOTE=KleShreen;n782164

Additionally, the student section is going to be empty after halftime, no matter what, so. lol[/QUOTE]

I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised with the gvsu student section the last year or so. A lot more students have been sticking around to the end, especially during the Ferris game in 2021.

Really hoping the weather shifts and we don’t have a terrible crowd and an asterisk game because of crazy rain or thunderstorms.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

Admittedly I wasn't super clear in my original post on meaning the physical running schemes. Rushing yards doesn't necessarily equal being physical and you can still be physical without using a physical running schemes. There are different types of running games, some based on physicality, some based on out-scheming, some based on speed on the edges and some that aren't even technically running the ball. All types can be successful, and TA uses all of them and balances them based on the opponent, that's what makes him so great. TA runs a lot of different schemes, some games QB counter, QB power, RB counter are big parts of the game plan, others they are not and he runs a lot of zone read, option and zoom plays. Since JVL TA has not used much of the prior and instead has used more of the latter against GV, he did some with Jayru but it hasn't been really any part the base game plan vs GV since they changed their defensive scheme a few years ago. And as far as GV blitzing a lot, watch them vs SV, Assumption, NW Mo (last year) just to name a few, that is a big part of how their defense is designed. I'm not saying any of what I have said as a knock against either team, it's just the evidence that has been on the field. And just FYI if you send 7, you can't even possibly play man across the board, sending 7 leaves you too short in coverage to play man, so that defense doesn't exist outside of maybe pop warner football.
                  FYI...Plenty of teams send 7, either outright or indirectly. That's why you see backs out in the flats uncovered on blitzes or if a LB assigned to a back sees him staying into block, he will automatically trigger into a blitzer. Happens every weekend, so not sure how that doesn't exist. When Don Brown was at Michigan he routinely would blitz 6-7 guys and make the qb have 1-2 sec to figure out his hot read. Not a new philosophy.

As far as the physicality clarification, I agree with most of what you stated. The reality is since Jayru, every QB we've had was coming off either a leg or foot injury when playing GV. Bernhardt (knee) in 2021, Mitchell (foot) 2022 and Gulker (foot/ankle/knee?)2023. Mitchell should be good so should play the whole game, but that in itself limits what kind of offense we're running. Not sure what it will look like this weekend. Offense scored on long pass plays on 2 of the first 3 plays vs SV so we'll see if GV still wants to crowd the LOS.

Comment

Oof. It is gonna be a messy one. Would almost be better off if it was actually at 7 PM instead of 3 PM.

Comment

Oof. It is gonna be a messy one. Would almost be better off if it was actually at 7 PM instead of 3 PM.
                      you are right - current forecast shows no rain at 7pm but lots of rain between 3 and 6pm

Comment

If I recall correctly, this game was originally scheduled for 7 PM.

Comment

I get why many rank Xerris as #1. But based upon THIS season's resume, the product on the field shows a pretty even matchup. GV, had a slow start. GV certainly has tightened up. Xerris got by late at Ash and although the NMU game was a blowout, Saggy(weak this year) basically got beat on bombs. As for the Griz game, this season, they'd likely be a top 10 in D2, maybe 5, but they wouldn't run away with it. And CURRENT SOS (no FCS teams included)... GV 24th, XSU 123. 0.625 vs 0.400

Wade can be a difference maker.. especially with GV's inconsistent but improving secondary. GV is figuring out the QB runners at XSU and IMO XSU, still doesn't have an above avg RB. Cade is running better and GV's RB stable is effective. The GV Oline has had some changes, but should hold up well vs XSU's 24 version of their Dline The officiating and 4th Q will be interesting. GV did wear down XSU's dline last season. I suspect that's probable again. As for the refs, the GLIAC refs have different emphasis this season. Not sure who this helps the most.

Slight homer pick, but GV.... by some odd play or turnover. It's time.
                          Last edited by Redwing; 10-12-2023, 12:39 PM.

Comment

So there's always trick plays run in this game. My guess is Brady Rose doing something as the holder on a kick at some point.

Comment

I also have a conspiracy theory as it comes to Ferris in this game.

Do we maybe think Ferris wants to be a 2/3/4 seed in this year's playoff instead of the #1, in order to avoid having TA's suspended game be against GV/Pitt/UCM in the 2nd round, and instead have it be against like Ouachita/Harding/UIndy/Truman?
                              Last edited by KleShreen; 10-12-2023, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                                How is that screwing you? its on FloSports also. Log in from anywhere.
                                Because it used to be free, and I will be eternally grumpy it isn't anymore

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X