1)
    Two nice stadiums to chose from
    2) Hour from major airport
    3) Major highways
    4) Lots of hotel rooms, restaurants
    5) Total commitment of community
    6) Centrally located in the MIAA
    7) Weather can go either way that time of year, sunny or snowy

To much Meth and Gunfire in the Kansass Capital.

Comment

Comment

Re: F U Sporting

Many of these are feasible, if not great, suggestions. However, in light of Brandon's mentions of the infrastructure that needs to be in place to host a game like this, one thing that none of us are considering enough is the desire of any given community to host the game. If the same folks in Frisco who put together the FCS game want this game and have the capacity to put it together, then in my opinion, it should no question go to Frisco and it could be played at either venue. I'd probably prefer the larger outdoor venue, but I could go either way.

In the event the folks in Frisco do not want it or don't feel as though they have the capacity to do two title games in a span of three (four?) weeks with the holidays in between, then I think the NCAA would be best served by returning the game to a town that has D2 football connections. The game isn't going to be successful in a place that doesn't have deep D2 football roots. Considering that weather rules out the GLIAC and the NSIC, this means the two conferences most readily considered are the MIAA and the GSC, with the LSC as a dark horse of sorts.

So which stadiums/locations in those conferences are contenders?
        MIAA - Pitt State, UCM, UCO - I think UCM and UCO are both the best for a game like this right now, but Pitt State could be right there with just some cosmetic improvements (CSS has not received the amount of maintenance attention it needs over the past 5ish years). Does Warrensburg have sufficient local hotels?
        GSC - I don't actually think anyone does. I know the location is great for UWF, but that stadium isn't feasible.
        LSC - Midwestern State? Not sure on press box. Seemingly no boxes, but not sure that matters much for this game. Also has the same remoteness from commercial airport issue that would plague Pittsburg.

I think Edmond is the best place for this long term.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
          MIAA - Pitt State, UCM, UCO - I think UCM and UCO are both the best for a game like this right now, but Pitt State could be right there with just some cosmetic improvements (CSS has not received the amount of maintenance attention it needs over the past 5ish years). Does Warrensburg have sufficient local hotels?
          GSC - I don't actually think anyone does. I know the location is great for UWF, but that stadium isn't feasible.
          LSC - Midwestern State? Not sure on press box. Seemingly no boxes, but not sure that matters much for this game. Also has the same remoteness from commercial airport issue that would plague Pittsburg.

West Florida didn't even put a bid into to host their own home games in the playoffs last year.

Comment

Great discussion on the video, Brandon! (Might have to send you some Griffon gear for the background, though. :smile-big:)

On Arrowhead - the NCAA wants the facility available for the whole week, which wouldn't be a possibility with home games on Sunday and Thursday night there. That might be something they would be willing to overlook for a one-year deal though.

On Spratt's capacity, temporary bleachers have been used in the past there.

Comment

Many of these are feasible, if not great, suggestions. However, in light of Brandon's mentions of the infrastructure that needs to be in place to host a game like this, one thing that none of us are considering enough is the desire of any given community to host the game. If the same folks in Frisco who put together the FCS game want this game and have the capacity to put it together, then in my opinion, it should no question go to Frisco and it could be played at either venue. I'd probably prefer the larger outdoor venue, but I could go either way.

In the event the folks in Frisco do not want it or don't feel as though they have the capacity to do two title games in a span of three (four?) weeks with the holidays in between, then I think the NCAA would be best served by returning the game to a town that has D2 football connections. The game isn't going to be successful in a place that doesn't have deep D2 football roots. Considering that weather rules out the GLIAC and the NSIC, this means the two conferences most readily considered are the MIAA and the GSC, with the LSC as a dark horse of sorts.

I have to disagree with you throwing out the other areas of the US. You may not like the size of the venues, but Indy and Detroit are fine venues for hosting. Detroit even put a bid in. I hear that issue of stadium size but there's not much difference with +/-10k in a 25 k facility or a 60k one. I've watched HS championships in a large venue, and done right the atmosphere can still be electric. As for how it looks on TV? Meh, it's been an issue for years and really doesn't matter to many. Selfishly I have my bias, but Detroit offers a ton of pluses. Hell they've hosted more championships than any of the others.. cept MAYBE Florence. Yes they do know how to host sporting events.

Comment

That is a professional set up you have there Brandon. That broadcasting school actually did pay off, I guess. Thanks Jerry and Doug!

Comment

I like the Ford Center in Dallas...seems pretty decent, although indoors

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                    I have to disagree with you throwing out the other areas of the US. You may not like the size of the venues, but Indy and Detroit are fine venues for hosting. Detroit even put a bid in. I hear that issue of stadium size but there's not much difference with +/-10k in a 25 k facility or a 60k one. I've watched HS championships in a large venue, and done right the atmosphere can still be electric. As for how it looks on TV? Meh, it's been an issue for years and really doesn't matter to many. Selfishly I have my bias, but Detroit offers a ton of pluses. Hell they've hosted more championships than any of the others.. cept MAYBE Florence. Yes they do know how to host sporting events.
                    Do you mean in Ford Field and Lucas Oil? If so, that's fine, but I'm not anticipating a lot of NFL venues having a ton of interest. If not those stadiums, I'm unaware of what other indoor stadiums are available. It's not the quality or size of the venues that I'm dismissing, it's the weather. This game isn't going north for an outdoor stadium after the weather debacle that KC had in 2016. What are the central-ish dome stadiums available? UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls is interesting, but kind of middle of nowhere.

Comment

Do you mean in Ford Field and Lucas Oil? If so, that's fine, but I'm not anticipating a lot of NFL venues having a ton of interest. If not those stadiums, I'm unaware of what other indoor stadiums are available. It's not the quality or size of the venues that I'm dismissing, it's the weather. This game isn't going north for an outdoor stadium after the weather debacle that KC had in 2016. What are the central-ish dome stadiums available? UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls is interesting, but kind of middle of nowhere.
                      Yes, I'm selling out to the dome world. I do think that place in Chatt. TN would be fun. Central to many and they've hosted FCS before. I just think that having to fly to the game knocks the attendance about as much as anything.

Comment

The Dallas Cowgirls practice facility in Frisco, TX or the Ford Center (Star in Frisco). Looks like a pretty good venue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSr7bobTujA

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                          Yes, I'm selling out to the dome world. I do think that place in Chatt. TN would be fun. Central to many and they've hosted FCS before. I just think that having to fly to the game knocks the attendance about as much as anything.
                          I agree that making it a manageable drive for the teams involved is HUGE. If it's a one overnight trip for both teams or a zero overnight trip for one team, that seems like it ought to do a lot for attendance. If that's the goal, the dome in St. Louis could be an obvious option. I think that's a one overnight drive (or less) for most of the usual suspects. However, I'm not sure who's doing all the hosting work there. That's the rub--finding a decent stadium in a central location isn't going to be tough (for this goal, make a triangle between St. Louis, Indy and Nashville). Finding a community that wants to put in the work to host it that has one of those stadiums is where the trouble is.

Comment

I think between the hotels in Joplin and Pittsburg there would more than enough accommodations. I also guarantee many of the local restaurants would probably love the opportunity to cater these events and could probably handle it. Wheat State in Pitt used to feed the Tim Beck football camp 6 nights of week and that was hundreds of pizzas at once. Plus the regional airport in Joplin could probably accommodate transportation, the NCAA pays a portion of transportation if it is over so many miles right? I would be in favor of it being in the SEK for sure.

Comment

Cedar Falls, IA was where the D2 wrestling championships were held this last winter. UNI-Dome is a nice facility and Cedar Falls itself has a lot of restaurants/hotels/airport. And it's a dome for the weather, capacity 16,000 and fairly centrally located

Comment

Last edited by codeblack; 09-05-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X