Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe he does it on mobile, cussing autocorrect all the way and fixing what he can?

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      Maybe he does it on mobile, cussing autocorrect all the way and fixing what he can?
      You are probably on to something. Even if its not a mobile device - most autocorrects would change Mak to Mark. Not sure about the other one, but that is probably correct.

We have to remember - we are familiar with our team and the 100+ players, but there are 12 teams in the league - that's a lot of players for a columnist.
      Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post

Horribly uninformed take. Collegiate athletic media relations directors and sports information directors are hideously overworked and underpaid. To suggest a student could / should do it is stupid, frankly.

This would be an accurate representation of having students do what professionals do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O230Wr9P1U

Regarding the columnist, I suppose you'll take anybody when no one is available. No analysis ... no thought - just regurgitation. Thank goodness for Jesse and MIAA Weekly.
        That video was surprisingly fun to watch.

I definitely agree it should be done by professionals. However, it seems many D2 programs have someone in that role who isn't *quite* what a lot of us think of as professionals. Perhaps most problematic is that it seems as though almost none of them have anything resembling a professional editorial process, which is also what I think would be the biggest help for the issues identified with the original post of this thread and other quibbles with most blogs. Having an English or Communications Dept. GA with some assigned duties in the athletic department to help out the SID seems like a better approach than having a few undergrads do it as a weekly class project.

Comment

Horribly uninformed take. Collegiate athletic media relations directors and sports information directors are hideously overworked and underpaid. To suggest a student could / should do it is stupid, frankly.

This would be an accurate representation of having students do what professionals do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O230Wr9P1U

Regarding the columnist, I suppose you'll take anybody when no one is available. No analysis ... no thought - just regurgitation. Thank goodness for Jesse and MIAA Weekly.
          We have students do medical procedures. Research and design life changing technology. Build entire structures that people live and work in. Entertain 10's of thousands of fans live and in color, for pennies(relatively). I think they could copy and paste a few paragraphs and write a few lines of "right there" information, accurately, like what is published on a weekly basis by many of the programs around here.

Say what you will about being underpaid and overworked. So is the rest of us, and somehow we put out a product that meaningful and largely correct.

It would be great real world writing and communications practice for anyone looking to be in sports media or public relations.

Am I saying take over everything? Not at all, certainly somethings the SIDs can't seem to get right...

Comment

Good God, it's only Tuesday and the hot topic is typos by some kid who does the radio broadcast for 8 man football in NW (no where) Mo. It's going to be a long week.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post

To be fair - at least Pitt has an SID, as do all the MIAA schools that I know of. Most D2 SIDs are way over worked. Last I knew of, UMKC did NOT have an SID - they only used students to fill the role. Talk about a joke of an athletic department.
              I believe the UMKC SID is former Bearcat SID, Chad "The Baller" Waller.

Comment

A.) Yes, he should probably double check names and making those mistakes multiple times with the same names is a bad look.
                B.) He's also being paid a grand total of zero dollars for this and we're paying a grand total of zero dollars for this content, so I'm not insanely worried about it.

Comment

Noted and fixed.

I did think it was Miekus. That is on me. I mistook the L for an i. It is fixed now.

Also, no 8-man slander please. You do not like it when people badmouth Division II Football because it isn't Division I, do not do the same thing for high school football.

Comment

Awww. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
                      Noted and fixed.

Also, no 8-man slander please. You do not like it when people badmouth Division II Football because it isn't Division I, do not do the same thing for high school football.
                      Sorry about the 8 man football crack, that wasn't fair.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
                        Noted and fixed.

I did think it was Miekus. That is on me. I mistook the L for an i. It is fixed now.

8-man is awesome. Harder to play defense, kids still hitting hard and playing fast. Almost everyone plays both sides of the ball. I grew up playing it. A pro right now came from BSU that played 8 man in high school.

Comment

8 man games are definitely not boring.

Comment

I was talking to a guy at the last Mules game that had played 8 man football. I didn't realize that there were some rule differences from 11 man football. I remember him saying that there are no straight hand offs and instead you have to pitch or lateral the ball along with regular passing. A real premium on ball handling skills. Most of the games seem high scoring so I'm sure it's fun to watch.

Comment

Comment

I think mo has 6 man football in some places.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X