Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GAC

The schools of the old OIC and the AIC have had a long history of playing each other. (Nsu played 3or4 a year) Most of schools were if equalivant size and support.
    When AIC broke up in mid 90s and followed uca into D2 OIC followed. Because there was just no big schools left in naia and they still had 2divisions. Nsu went ncaa first after winning it's title in 94 ecu and
    rest went soon after.
    They all joined lsc with ouchita Baptist and Harding to make lsc north and only had 3 football cross overs. But it was long before gsc pulled obu and hu. Lsc now has north doing 4crossovers while south did only 3. Eventually they put tamuc and then enmu in North. Now I don't know about rest but nsu was getting killed by travel to south. It's a haul from tahlequah to enmu, Angelo,Kingsville, and Amarillo.

There had been talk for a while for a ok and ark conference. Lsc was uping dues so whether nsu and uco went or the GAC met first I don't know 100%( been a point of discussion between me and someone else). But all the north was out quick.

Nsu is just as close to most miaa as the lsc.

Now from my source in ark the travel is better for some in GAC and not others. But from my perspective life in GAC is better for ark school. They came in stronger and it shows in their dominance in most sports.

GAC started with 9. They went silo after miaa did. Not sure why. From my source the gsc were very generous in thier offers for non conf games for those first few years in getting games scheduled. I thought they were going to split into divisions but never did. My source said it would take 14 schools to make that an economic advantage.

But imo both gsc and lsc didn't do as well for a few years after the schools left.
    Last edited by the Northeasterner; 12-04-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
      The schools of the old OIC and the AIC have had a long history of playing each other. (Nsu played 3or4 a year) Most of schools were if equalivant size and support.
      When AIC broke up in mid 90s and followed uca into D2 OIC followed. Because there was just no big schools left in naia and they still had 2divisions. Nsu went ncaa first after winning it's title in 94 ecu and
      rest went soon after.
      They all joined lsc with ouchita Baptist and Harding to make lsc north and only had 3 football cross overs. But it was long before gsc pulled obu and hu. Lsc now has north doing 4crossovers while south did only 3. Eventually they put tamuc and then enmu in North. Now I don't know about rest but nsu was getting killed by travel to south. It's a haul from tahlequah to enmu, Angelo,Kingsville, and Amarillo.

There had been talk for a while for a ok and ark conference. Lsc was uping dues so whether nsu and uco went or the GAC met first I don't know 100%( been a point of discussion between me and someone else). But all the north was out quick.

Nsu is just as close to most miaa as the lsc.

Now from my source in ark the travel is better for some in GAC and not others. But from my perspective life in GAC is better for ark school. They came in stronger and it shows in their dominance in most sports.

GAC started with 9. They went silo after miaa did. Not sure why. From my source the gsc were very generous in thier offers for non conf games for those first few years in getting games scheduled. I thought they were going to split into divisions but never did. My source said it would take 14 schools to make that an economic advantage.

But imo both gsc and lsc didn't do as well for a few years after the schools left.

Comment

Here is what I know and some opinion.

1. I am not sure nsu admin wanted out of miaa. But I know some boosters do. (And now that Rogers is in I don't see nsu bailing and leaving higher conf and leaving Rogers in) I think that meeting was to get funds to up commitment to athletics and it turned to area they didn't like and haven't revisted a meeting since. But I wasn't at meeting so it's a bit if speculation on my part

2. No women's volleyball. It's a "core sport" according to Gac rules. Nsu would have to add it and drop something else like it's women soccer or women's tennis.

3 loss of uco rivalry. Trust me it matters to people and uco is not going to be in same conf as other regional schools if the leave miaa it would be to go up a division.

4. Nsu would need a partner school that plays football and it's not uco. Now if moso would jump you could see it happen.

Comment

With the current GAC having 12 teams already how do recommend it work? Two divisions (North: Harding, Ouachita, Henderson State, UAM, SAU, Tech, NSU and South: SEOSU, ECOSU, OK Baptist, Nazarene, NWOSU, SWOSU, UCO)?

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
            With the current GAC having 12 teams already how do recommend it work? Two divisions (North: Harding, Ouachita, Henderson State, UAM, SAU, Tech, NSU and South: SEOSU, ECOSU, OK Baptist, Nazarene, NWOSU, SWOSU, UCO)?
            I said North and South. It probably should be East (Ark schools plus NSU) and West (Okla schools).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X