X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I agree that never hurts, but Washburn, Fort Hays, UCO, Northwest, etc. can say that as well...and so could Beck.
    For sure.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Not sure what "big name" means, but Wright brought in several coaches who can go talk to HS kids about players they put in the NFL, and I think that might mean a lot to recruits.
    I agree that never hurts, but Washburn, Fort Hays, UCO, Northwest, etc. can say that as well...and so could Beck.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Not sure what "big name" means, but Wright brought in several coaches who can go talk to HS kids about players they put in the NFL, and I think that might mean a lot to recruits.

Leave a comment:

• cbgorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I'm sure people were rolling their eyes when Tjeerdsma, Svoboda, etc. were hired at Northwest. They weren't big names. They became big names. That's what you're hoping in Pittsburg.
    Agree, Brandon.

Leave a comment:

• PSR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by cbgorilla View Post

I totally disagree. The HC on down are great hires. Look at the experience and places these guys have been.
    Now, I am not saying Pitt State will be at the top of D2 in the first couple of years, but I will say, this staff will have Pitt State competing at a higher level than the last regime had us doing.
    I'm sure people were rolling their eyes when Tjeerdsma, Svoboda, etc. were hired at Northwest. They weren't big names. They became big names. That's what you're hoping in Pittsburg.

Leave a comment:

• cbgorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by FormerGorilla View Post

I don't disagree with these viewpoints - I can actually see it from both angles (from cbgorilla and GorillaBred). Everyone will know if Brian Wright succeeds or not will come down to recruiting: "It ain't about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmie's and the Joe's... "my two cents"

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

I don't disagree with these viewpoints - I can actually see it from both angles (from cbgorilla and GorillaBred). Everyone will know if Brian Wright succeeds or not will come down to recruiting: "It ain't about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmie's and the Joe's... "my two cents"
    Unless you rotate 4 QB's and 5 different offenses in every game. Then it's about the X's and O's

Leave a comment:

• FormerGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

I would've been surprised to see any sort of name that I would've described as a "big time hire." Hiring an FCS OC as our HC is about as big of a hire as you're going to see at the D2 level. By and large, it seems like it's a staff made up of FCS guys. I'm really interested to see how that translates.

To me, the success of this entire staff--and accordingly, the Pitt State program in the near to mid future--comes down to the question of will Brian Wright be a good HC? He's never run the show before with the exception of an interim spot. If he has the demeanor and whatever else it takes to be a good HC, the staff doesn't appear to me to be anything that will hold us back. If he doesn't have whatever it takes to be a good HC, the staff doesn't appear to me to have the sort of chops that would prop us up.

We're basically all-in on Brian Wright. I'm fine with that. It's a nice change of pace. The past few years we knew what we had at HC and we hoped that the slight tweaks to the staff were enough to bring it all together the way it did in 2011 and the way it was close to doing in 2014. This isn't like that.

Leave a comment:

• GorillaBred
    replied
    Surprised to not see a big time hire on this staff. With that being said: rather have a hungry staff that will do anything to right the ship... new HC should have got rid of all old coaches too, but hopefully the two left on staff have not been tainted by the previous wrecking crew!
    Originally posted by cbgorilla View Post

I totally disagree. The HC on down are great hires. Look at the experience and places these guys have been.
    Now, I am not saying Pitt State will be at the top of D2 in the first couple of years, but I will say, this staff will have Pitt State competing at a higher level than the last regime had us doing.
    I would've been surprised to see any sort of name that I would've described as a "big time hire." Hiring an FCS OC as our HC is about as big of a hire as you're going to see at the D2 level. By and large, it seems like it's a staff made up of FCS guys. I'm really interested to see how that translates.

To me, the success of this entire staff--and accordingly, the Pitt State program in the near to mid future--comes down to the question of will Brian Wright be a good HC? He's never run the show before with the exception of an interim spot. If he has the demeanor and whatever else it takes to be a good HC, the staff doesn't appear to me to be anything that will hold us back. If he doesn't have whatever it takes to be a good HC, the staff doesn't appear to me to have the sort of chops that would prop us up.

We're basically all-in on Brian Wright. I'm fine with that. It's a nice change of pace. The past few years we knew what we had at HC and we hoped that the slight tweaks to the staff were enough to bring it all together the way it did in 2011 and the way it was close to doing in 2014. This isn't like that.

Leave a comment:

• cbgorilla
    replied
    Surprised to not see a big time hire on this staff. With that being said: rather have a hungry staff that will do anything to right the ship... new HC should have got rid of all old coaches too, but hopefully the two left on staff have not been tainted by the previous wrecking crew!

Leave a comment:

• HookemHerd
    replied
    Any word on if former assistants have landed anywhere yet?

Leave a comment:

• FormerGorilla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cbgorilla
    replied
    Looks like the new coaching staff has taken shape. Hopefully, get some good recruits to sign up, to begin the rebuild of a once proud program.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Originally posted by catbacker07 View Post

All of D2 is down for the most part. The MIAA was less down than other conferences, though.
    I disagree. I think No MIAA team would have made the playoffs in the GSC, and one MIAA team, at best would have made the PO's in the GLIAC.

Now the PO field may have been more down than the MIAA, but that has more to do with the newish conferences that have popped up, and gobbled up PO slots, than overall quality..

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X