Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roll call: Who saw the 1999 4 OT title game in person?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the ot's on tv. I don't recall if I watched the entire game or not but the epic ending stands out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
      I want to hear from the Bearcat fans who attended ALL FOUR of the national championship games in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 in Florence, Alabama, where the Bearcats finished as the runner up four years in a row. You will need to prove that you attended all four games.......oh say, something like.........still visible slash mark scars on your wrists, etc.
      I’ve seen all 10 title games in person as well as every semifinal in person except ‘10 freezer bowl in MN. The only good thing about ‘05-‘08 was how good it made ‘09,’13, ‘15 &’16 feel

Comment

I was at The Quaff with 75+ Bearcat fans (from what I remember). So many up and downs that game made the beer flow. I remember the place going crazy and needing a taxi to get home after. :)

Comment

I want to hear from the Bearcat fans who attended ALL FOUR of the national championship games in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 in Florence, Alabama, where the Bearcats finished as the runner up four years in a row. You will need to prove that you attended all four games.......oh say, something like.........still visible slash mark scars on your wrists, etc.
          I don’t qualify...school got in the way of the first three, but my wife and her sister came down in 2008 with me.....other than the game, it was a blast. To this day, that is the only postseason loss I’ve seen in person, although I admit I haven’t been able to go to nearly as many as others on here. I attended 08, 09, 13, 15, and 16.

As far as the first two against CNC, I had several former HS classmates and friends that were in school there at the time, but I didn’t know anything about the team at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post

I’ve seen all 10 title games in person as well as every semifinal in person except ‘10 freezer bowl in MN. The only good thing about ‘05-‘08 was how good it made ‘09,’13, ‘15 &’16 feel
            I watched the 2010 'freezer bowl' on (internet) tv. The game was in Duluth and the students mainly watched the game from their dorm room windows. It was significant for me, because the Bearcats had just defeated the Mules in the quarter finals in Maryville. Then in the semifinals, it didn't make sense why NW and UMD were not only playing in freezing temperatures, but playing at night to make it even worse. The other semi final game was played in warm temperatures that afternoon in the south.......go figure.

As far as the four runner up finishes (in a row), most schools would kill just to achieve one runner up finish. Six national championships and four 2nd place finishes is beyond amazing. One hell of an accomplishment by Northwest Missouri State University. Hats off to Mel, Adam, the assistant coaches, and the players who made it happen.

Comment

Then in the semifinals, it didn't make sense why NW and UMD were not only playing in freezing temperatures, but playing at night to make it even worse. The other semi final game was played in warm temperatures that afternoon in the south......
              I was at the game. That was frustrating. What made it even worse is that there was a weather delay in Mississippi and it cleared up afterward. Would have been so much better to rotate the two start times. It was unbelievably cold. I am able to handle the cold pretty well but that game took the cake.

There was serious talk about moving the game to the Fargo Dome. That was the same weekend the Metrodome ceiling collapsed under the weight of the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I was at the game. That was frustrating. What made it even worse is that there was a weather delay in Mississippi and it cleared up afterward. Would have been so much better to rotate the two start times. It was unbelievably cold. I am able to handle the cold pretty well but that game took the cake.

There was serious talk about moving the game to the Fargo Dome. That was the same weekend the Metrodome ceiling collapsed under the weight of the snow.

I think Mel’s frustration with the NCAA due to that game hastened his decision to retire. I heard he lobbied to change the time, move it or postpone it and was told play or forfeit. The weather, no Baker and a one legged Soy certainly played a factor in the loss.

Comment

I was at the 1998 and 1999 NC games, I was at all four losses from 2005-2008, as well as the semi-final at North Alabama in 2005. We were the Buffalo Bills of D2. I was in Florence for 2009 and 2013 too! I was also at the 2010 debacle in Duluth. As the song goes, "I've been everywhere." Driving to KC for the 2015 game was easy. Driving to the 2016 game was not easy, but I did it.

Comment

One of my favorite stories to tell from the 1999 Championship game is the story of Phil Voge. Whether you believe in God/Angels, or just believe there are things that intrinsically linked together that are not coincidences, this story always gives me chills. Phil Voge, a red-shirting freshman, was the younger brother of our senior, starting DT Matt Voge. Probably one of the most genuine and authentic families you will ever meet. Always a kind word, great teammates, and just the kind of football players every team needs. When we made the playoffs, the red shirting freshman often went home for the weekend after the week of practice. Unfortunately, Phil passed away in an auto accident. It was a devastating loss to a team that didn’t just play lip service to family. We were as close as any team I have ever been on. To honor his brother’s memory, Matt decided to change his number and wear his number #57 throughout the rest of the playoffs. When we were playing Carson Newmann, the game was a tough game. They were as talented a group as we have seen as Bearcats. Tremendous running game and I swear every DL was an animal. I think 2 ended up in the NFL. We were down by 8 with just over a minute to go and pretty much seemed as though the game was essentially over as CN was getting their yards on the option. Then the improbable happened. Almost seemed like a throw away moment, but the CN running back (who was an absolute stud) Melvin Oats, got hit and then drifted out of bounds to stop the clock. It was the play that gave us a sliver of hope to come back because it created 4th and 2. Most people think it was a mental error on the RB’s part. Unless, however you believe in something divine or something greater than ourselves. Because the clock stopped at :57 left. To this day, I will swear to anyone that was listening that Phil Voge was looking down on his teammates. Before the next snap, CN false starts and then we make the improbable comeback. That’s my favorite story from that game full of great storylines.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post
                      One of my favorite stories to tell from the 1999 Championship game is the story of Phil Voge. Whether you believe in God/Angels, or just believe there are things that intrinsically linked together that are not coincidences, this story always gives me chills. Phil Voge, a red-shirting freshman, was the younger brother of our senior, starting DT Matt Voge. Probably one of the most genuine and authentic families you will ever meet. Always a kind word, great teammates, and just the kind of football players every team needs. When we made the playoffs, the red shirting freshman often went home for the weekend after the week of practice. Unfortunately, Phil passed away in an auto accident. It was a devastating loss to a team that didn’t just play lip service to family. We were as close as any team I have ever been on. To honor his brother’s memory, Matt decided to change his number and wear his number #57 throughout the rest of the playoffs. When we were playing Carson Newmann, the game was a tough game. They were as talented a group as we have seen as Bearcats. Tremendous running game and I swear every DL was an animal. I think 2 ended up in the NFL. We were down by 8 with just over a minute to go and pretty much seemed as though the game was essentially over as CN was getting their yards on the option. Then the improbable happened. Almost seemed like a throw away moment, but the CN running back (who was an absolute stud) Melvin Oats, got hit and then drifted out of bounds to stop the clock. It was the play that gave us a sliver of hope to come back because it created 4th and 2. Most people think it was a mental error on the RB’s part. Unless, however you believe in something divine or something greater than ourselves. Because the clock stopped at :57 left. To this day, I will swear to anyone that was listening that Phil Voge was looking down on his teammates. Before the next snap, CN false starts and then we make the improbable comeback. That’s my favorite story from that game full of great storylines.
                      I remember all the players had ‘57’ on the back of their helmets as well as written on the paw and midfield at Bearcat stadium. I still recall Mel turning to us, waving him arms and exhorting us to yell our loudest just before the CNC R tackle jumped offside

Comment

only 2008 for me. the onside kick at the end was right in front of me and i had a clear view of one of our guys jump on the ball. or that’s how it looked but it happens so fast and then in the blink of an eye it’s a pileup with guys fighting for it. never watched a replay so to this day idk if my eyes saw it accurately and we got a bad break or if i missed something.

we deserved to lose regardless so whatev.

2005 i was at home and didn’t have $ for a trip

2006 i was working in washington

2007 i was working in oregon

all the ones we won i have been fortunate enough to attend in person
                        Go Bearcats!
                        M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

I was there! Was my SR. year in High school what a great day!

Comment

good story thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your perspective from the front lines on that game. I remember just before Oates went out of bounds on that play, Bill Curry was almost crowning CN as the National Champions. Then, on that 4th and 2, the RT flinches so quickly and gets back in his stance so fast that if you blink, you miss it. You and your teammates overcame so much adversity on and off the field that year that the NC was a fitting ending to a team that left it all out on the field.

Comment

Catz -just being there is my favorite sports memory. I can’t imagine what it must feel like to have played in it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X