Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roll call: Who saw the 1999 4 OT title game in person?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked with Matt Voge and his daughter at Homecoming this year. He was there for the 20th anniversary of the 1999 NC team. Other than a beard, he looked about the same as he did when he played.

One thing I remember about the 4 OT game was the moonlight which cast an eerie glow on the post game celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post
      One of my favorite stories to tell from the 1999 Championship game is the story of Phil Voge. Whether you believe in God/Angels, or just believe there are things that intrinsically linked together that are not coincidences, this story always gives me chills. Phil Voge, a red-shirting freshman, was the younger brother of our senior, starting DT Matt Voge. Probably one of the most genuine and authentic families you will ever meet. Always a kind word, great teammates, and just the kind of football players every team needs. When we made the playoffs, the red shirting freshman often went home for the weekend after the week of practice. Unfortunately, Phil passed away in an auto accident. It was a devastating loss to a team that didn’t just play lip service to family. We were as close as any team I have ever been on. To honor his brother’s memory, Matt decided to change his number and wear his number #57 throughout the rest of the playoffs. When we were playing Carson Newmann, the game was a tough game. They were as talented a group as we have seen as Bearcats. Tremendous running game and I swear every DL was an animal. I think 2 ended up in the NFL. We were down by 8 with just over a minute to go and pretty much seemed as though the game was essentially over as CN was getting their yards on the option. Then the improbable happened. Almost seemed like a throw away moment, but the CN running back (who was an absolute stud) Melvin Oats, got hit and then drifted out of bounds to stop the clock. It was the play that gave us a sliver of hope to come back because it created 4th and 2. Most people think it was a mental error on the RB’s part. Unless, however you believe in something divine or something greater than ourselves. Because the clock stopped at :57 left. To this day, I will swear to anyone that was listening that Phil Voge was looking down on his teammates. Before the next snap, CN false starts and then we make the improbable comeback. That’s my favorite story from that game full of great storylines.
      Who was the team that came to Northwest that year and jumped up and down on the PAW? I want to say it was Central. Who ever, it was a big mistake. Thought we were going to be starting the game in the middle of a brawl.

Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

I remember Texas A&M Kingsville stomping on the Logo at midfield.

Comment

Central Mo jumped on the Paw with Phil’s # written on it. Really pissed off NW and got CMSU curbstomped that day

Comment

I was in the BMB.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
              I was there.
              I had Doc Knapp with me... :D

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                Central Mo jumped on the Paw with Phil’s # written on it. Really pissed off NW and got CMSU curbstomped that day
                Doesn't surprise me. Didn't start following the Mules until '01 but lack of discipline were part of the culture of his teams at UCM and it reared it's ugly head at least a couple of times a year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X