Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge Rank: 3 Best Recruiting Situations

Dog days of Summer. I wasn't sure how to title this. Basically which three schools would be most attractive to draw in high school kids. Obviously going to pump our home teams up a bunch. But give equal though to other schools, and list an actual negative if you see it.

1. NW - Winningest tradition in D2. Very good facilities. College town. Ungodly athletic funding for thIs level. Nebraska/Iowa Pipeline. With their success, I don't think they are throwing around big scholarships to incoming kids, and it takes longer to see the field.

2. UCM - Fun offense. Sports sponsor. College town. Pretty solid resume, but not a playoff winner. School size (girls).

3. Hays - Big college town. Recent success as 2x champs.. Few rivals in Western KS colorado area. Benefits most from not having nearby colleges. Negative - can success last after round of graduations
    Last edited by HookemHerd; 07-13-2019, 11:49 PM.

Sent from my GorillaPad

Comment

Re: Challenge Rank: 3 Best Recruiting Situations

I understand your frustration cb. UCM is 10 years in with coach Boda and for whatever reason, the Mules have not reached coach Boda's "promise land" or anything even remotely close. Frustration abounds in Pittsburg and Warrensburg.

Comment

I actually think recruiting has been better under Beck, but player development has been in decline since the last few years of the Broyles era. In his heyday,when Pitt was rolling, Broyles was good at getting the most out of players, but not a great recruiter. Then again, maybe he was succesful because he was recruiting work ethic or some other intangible over raw talent back then, idk?

Comment

MSSU - You can come in and play right away and play a part in building something at MSSU that hasn't happened in 20+ years. You can always be remembered as part of the class that turned Missouri Southern football around, while playing in the best D2 conference in America. Exciting times ahead! #jointhepride

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
            MSSU - You can come in and play right away and play a part in building something at MSSU that hasn't happened in 20+ years. You can always be remembered as part of the class that turned Missouri Southern football around, while playing in the best D2 conference in America. Exciting times ahead! #jointhepride
            In the fine print does it say if the coach will allow water breaks? Scum

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
              Dog days of Summer. I wasn't sure how to title this. Basically which three schools would be most attractive to draw in high school kids. Obviously going to pump our home teams up a bunch. But give equal though to other schools, and list an actual negative if you see it.

1. NW - Winningest tradition in D2. Very good facilities. College town. Ungodly athletic funding for thIs level. Nebraska/Iowa Pipeline. With their success, I don't think they are throwing around big scholarships to incoming kids, and it takes longer to see the field.

2. UCM - Fun offense. Sports sponsor. College town. Pretty solid resume, but not a playoff winner. School size (girls).

3. Hays - Big college town. Recent success as 2x champs.. Few rivals in Western KS colorado area. Benefits most from not having nearby colleges. Negative - can success last after round of graduations
              I don't agree with some of your analysis but this can be an interesting discussion. I would provide a few different descriptions to be more precise. Your analysis is in blue.

Central
              Experienced veteran coach.
              Great stadium.
              Good support.
              5-6, 9-3, 9-3, 8-3 records the last four years with one bowl win.
              0 National Championships.
              2 Program Playoff wins.
              Population 20,168. Rural setting. Estimated 2,022,349 population within a 100 mile radius. Estimated 9,247,610 population within a 200 mile radius.
              Pretty solid resume, but not a playoff winner. School size (girls). Great point on the school size/girls thing.

Fort Hays
              Up and coming coach.
              Decent stadium.
              Decent support.
              9-3, 11-1, 8-4, 8-4 records the last four years with two playoff appearances, two conference championships, and one bowl win
              0 National Championships
              0 Program Playoff Wins
              Population 20,845. Rural/Isolated setting. Estimated 397,351 population within a 100 mile radius. Estimated 2,581,912 population within a 200 mile radius.
              Recent success as 2x champs.. Few rivals in Western KS colorado area.
              I didn't include your question about success sustaining as a negative. I think it's a question asked almost everywhere almost every year.

Northwest
              Up and coming coach
              Great stadium
              Great support
              10-2, 9-3, 15-0, 15-0 record the last four years with two national championships, four playoff appearances, nine playoff wins, and three conference championships.
              6 National Championships
              50 Program Playoff Wins
              Population 11,757. Rural setting. Estimated 2,882,132 population within a 100 mile radius. Estimated 7,270,060 population within a 200 mile radius.
              With their success, I don't think they are throwing around big scholarships to incoming kids, and it takes longer to see the field.

Pittsburg State
              One of the best stadiums
              Great support historically
              8-3, 8-4, 7-4, 6-5 record in the last four years with one bowl win.
              2 National Championships (NCAA)
              25 Program Playoff Wins (NCAA)
              Population 20,216. Rural setting. Estimated 1,839,934 population within a 100 mile radius. Estimated 8,367,771 population within a 200 mile radius.

Comment

Comment

I meant up and coming as in moving on up or desired by higher levels. Jim has already been there.

The reason I addressed the geography was because of your mention of Hays having no one to recruit against. I was trying to kind of look at the local population to get an idea of the density. Back in the day, some folks from Pennsylvania said the only reason the NCC/MIAA teams were good was because there were fewer colleges. It's important to compare population density. No worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                    I meant up and coming as in moving on up or desired by higher levels. Jim has already been there.

The reason I addressed the geography was because of your mention of Hays having no one to recruit against. I was trying to kind of look at the local population to get an idea of the density. Back in the day, some folks from Pennsylvania said the only reason the NCC/MIAA teams were good was because there were fewer colleges. It's important to compare population density. No worries.
                    you can always come up with the "reason" you need if you try hard enough.
                    Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

BFE Western KS could be a minus in some recruits eyes as well, much like used to be the case in Manhattan

Comment

Right. When I did a real study of this in the early 2000's, theoretical California football schools had the fewest competitors in relation to population. West Virginia was the worst. If I remember correctly, it was like a ratio of something like one school to a million people in California and one to 30,000 in West Virginia. Those numbers probably aren't accurate but you get the idea.

Comment

What would you think of this program:

Experienced veteran coach
                            Decent stadium
                            Decent support
                            8-4, 6-5, 11-2, 11-3 record in the last four years with two playoff appearances, three playoff wins, one bowl win.
                            0 National Championships (NCAA)
                            3 Program Playoff Wins (NCAA)
                            Population 24,724. Rural setting. Estimated 2,674,290 population within a 100 mile radius. Estimated 9,000,439 population within a 200 mile radius.
                            Last edited by Hornetfan; 07-15-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                              What would you think of this program:

Experienced veteran coach
                              Decent stadium
                              Decent support
                              8-4, 6-5, 11-2, 11-3 record in the last four years with two playoff appearances, three playoff wins, one bowl win.
                              0 National Championships (NCAA)
                              3 Program Playoff Wins (NCAA)
                              Population 24,724. Rural setting. Estimated 2,674,290 population within a 100 mile radius. Estimated 9,000,439 population within a 200 mile radius.
                              I was thinking they had really turned the corner at ESU, but they kind of backslid the last couple of years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X