Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Project

Still waiting for MIAA Weekly account activation. But, here is the link for episode two.

Season preview for MSSU. Click and enjoy!

https://anchor.fm/dashboard/episode/e4t96h

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
      20ish years I suppose - really interested starting in 2001 when they had a running back Jason Broom who was running all over people and setting records; and just as quick as he came on the scene he was prone to injury/trouble and was just as quickly gone.
      No worries. Your wording made me wonder. You had said "if we finally break into non-con" and I inferred that you hadn't been a fan long enough to know that there were non conference games at one point. It was just a curiosity on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
        Still waiting for MIAA Weekly account activation. https://anchor.fm/dashboard/episode/e4t96h
        On here?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          No worries. Your wording made me wonder. You had said "if we finally break into non-con" and I inferred that you hadn't been a fan long enough to know that there were non conference games at one point. It was just a curiosity on my part.
          Oh, i know there where non-con games but not under the current structure of 12 teams. The conference hasn't played outside in regular season since 2013 when it was 14 teams. Listening to the commissioner and coaches sounds like for the next few years at least unless the conference changes in actual number of football members the silo schedule will remain. That's what I meant by "if" - other than fans on a message board there doesnt seem to be any outside pressure to make the conference change their strategy unless the conference changes in makeup.

Comment

Ease of scheduling.

I wish they'd get rid of the regional criteria anyway.

You don't think playing Minnesota State or Sioux Falls would raise the profile of a team instead of playing Lincoln/Missouri Southern/Northeastern State? And really it's not about perception - it's about numbers. But the fact that it's about numbers actually helps your point about playing Indianapolis or Saginaw over Minnesota State or Sioux Falls.
            I believe it should raise the profile of an individual team - but if you're casting lots then it's just as likely if a team puts MN St., or Sioux Falls, or Commerce, or Pueblo - that the team you end up replacing isn't Lincoln or Southern or Northeastern; you end up replacing Northwestern or Pittsburg or Fort Hays. So if you end up playing outside the regional in non-con and say beat MN St. but didn't play Northwestern I don't see how that raises a teams standing when it comes to current Regional settings.

But if say FHSU played Indy non-con but didn't play UCM. However UCM plays Grand Valley. With Indy playing teams already in the GLVC then we can get a better approximation when it comes to regional teams who is 'better' because of the intra-regional games.

I think there's a balance between playing only conference games and playing a full dispersion of any conference. That balance being playing non-con games within the regional conferences. And I don't like the idea of conferences aligning the 'good' teams. If that's the case you handicap further the middle and 'bad' teams from ever getting their chance. If assigning good teams to play each other were the case 5 years ago FHSU wouldn't be in the running to play MN St. or Ferris. And teams like NW Mo five years ago would have been glad to schedule somebody 'good' non-con and replaced FHSU.

With that being said I agree with you that I think playoffs should get rid of strict regionalization. Protect 1 or 2 teams but the rest get allocated. I think FHSU (and their fans) would much rather have gone to Mines or Pueblo last year than UIndy. Not due to outcome but simple ease of travel. NW likely probably would have preferred one game slightly closer and gone to UIndy first. And likely it would have still been MN St. v Ferris in the semi's but a whole lot less travel was needed to get there by everybody else.
            Last edited by EveryCatAWildman; 08-09-2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
              Now Ft Hays and Kearney present more of a challenge for the arguements mentioned. And it would be best for a lsc conference agreement to benefit them.
              If they could, I think they'd certainly play RMAC teams (Chadron, Mines, Pueblo; maybe Adams and Highland). They play those teams regularly in all other sports, fairly easy travel to get to those places using I-70 and I-80. Still some rivalries and decent alumni bases that way due to previous affiliation.

Comment

Yessir

Comment

On here?
                  As of last night.

Comment

I believe it should raise the profile of an individual team - but if you're casting lots then it's just as likely if a team puts MN St., or Sioux Falls, or Commerce, or Pueblo - that the team you end up replacing isn't Lincoln or Southern or Northeastern; you end up replacing Northwestern or Pittsburg or Fort Hays. So if you end up playing outside the regional in non-con and say beat MN St. but didn't play Northwestern I don't see how that raises a teams standing when it comes to current Regional settings.
                    Oh I agree that if Hays lost Northwest from the schedule but gained Grand Valley, it's essentially a wash. What would be gained, however, would be the theoretical wins of Nebraska-Kearney over Michigan Tech and Missouri Western over Henderson State. Those add up. In 2007, Northwest hosted Grand Valley in the semis because of the strength of schedule. Grand Valley was on a 40-game winning streak and obviously was undefeated. Northwest had one loss, but hosted because their strength of schedule was so much better.

Non-Conference MIAA games that year:

Minnesota State 23, Central Missouri 14
                    Central Missouri 56, Concordia-St. Paul 24
                    Emporia State 7, Western State 3
                    Emporia State 17, Central Oklahoma 7
                    Fort Hays 55, Western State 3
                    Fort Hays 34, Colorado Mines 10
                    Missouri Southern 51, Haskell (NAIA) 0
                    Missouri Southern 48, Harding 20
                    Missouri Western 42, Baker (NAIA) 24
                    Missouri Western 45, Minnesota Duluth 27
                    Nebraska-Omaha 25, Northwest Missouri 21
                    Pittsburg State 28, Texas A&M-Commerce 14
                    Pittsburg State 41, East Central 15
                    Harding 43, Southwest Baptist 40
                    Southeast Missouri (FCS) 38, Southwest Baptist 17
                    Truman State 38, Missouri S&T 31
                    Truman State 55, Upper Iowa 31
                    Chadron State 34, Washburn 24
                    Washburn 27, Colorado Mines 7

16 Countable Opponents
                    12-4 OOC Record

So Northwest was 0-1 in non-conference play (lightning game with ATU cancelled), but still benefited from all the games the MIAA played outside of conference.

Comment

You cover all the teams that well I'm going to call the conference a 12 way tie for the title. That was well laid out and got me thinking Mo So may have some pieces to make some noise. I'm still picking them 12th but that was a great preview and certainly reason to watch on some of their players this year.

Comment

You cover all the teams that well I'm going to call the conference a 12 way tie for the title. That was well laid out and got me thinking Mo So may have some pieces to make some noise. I'm still picking them 12th but that was a great preview and certainly reason to watch on some of their players this year.
                        I really appreciate the kind words... Hoping to finish the UCO preview this weekend.

*disclaimer* the remaining preview episodes will likely be shorter since I caught the other coaches and/or players at MIAA Media Day in KC and so I only had 5-10 minutes to talk with them as opposed to the 45 minutes I had with Sims in his office.

Comment

This is awesome. I've already followed on spotify. I'm just jealous I didn't have the drive or ambition to start this.

Keep it up, good sir.
                          Roll Chos!

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

Two for two quality pod casts. Good job.

Comment

Wow!...Those podcasts were terrific! Thanks, and I am subscribed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X