Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 6 gives you 2 for the price of 1... We look at the Emporia State Hornets as they look to replace a star QB, a 1,000-yard rusher, and about 95% of their WR production. Then, we travel to Kearney, NE to see if the Lopers (best rushing attack in the MIAA, very underrated defense) can turn some close losses into wins and make a push for the postseason in 2019.

https://anchor.fm/miaa-weekly/episod...Preview-e55j7o

Comment

Originally posted by MIAAWeekly View Post
      Episode 6 gives you 2 for the price of 1... We look at the Emporia State Hornets as they look to replace a star QB, a 1,000-yard rusher, and about 95% of their WR production. Then, we travel to Kearney, NE to see if the Lopers (best rushing attack in the MIAA, very underrated defense) can turn some close losses into wins and make a push for the postseason in 2019.

https://anchor.fm/miaa-weekly/episod...Preview-e55j7o
      Sweet. Something for the drive home tonight.

Comment

Curious who you think has the hardest time 'replacing' their QB this year as half the teams look to 'new' signal callers

Pitt St. - John Roderique - 31 career games - 5,698 passing yards for 39 TDs, 1,281 yards rushing for 19 TDs and also had a receiving TD in his career
        FHSU - Jacob Mezera - 37 career games - 7,392 passing yards for 57 TDs, and 3 rushing TDs
        ESU - Braxton Marstall - 37 career games - 8,981 passing yards for 75 TDs, 1,125 rushing yards for 16 TDs
        UCM - Jeremy Hunt - 10 career games - 2,281 passing yards for 19 TDs, 214 rushing yards for 3 TDs
        MWSU - Dom Marino - 18 career games - 2,163 passing yards for 16 TDs, 1,067 rushing yards for 11 TDs
        LU - Henry Ogala - 12 career games - 1,857 passing yards for 10 TDs, 70 rushing yards for 2 TDs

Considering UCM is silly I guess, but I have heard a small rumor that Bolles may be taking some time in practice at wide receiver. Pitt St. and FHSU also have experienced guys to step into the starting roles this year.

Lincoln I don't think it matters, Ogala transferred I think, so they'd probably prefer him back for another year but again, does it matter, no.

Dom Marino was kind of a gritty QB that got them to their first post season since 2012 but production wise I think MO West can find a similar replacement.

Leaves ESU for me as the most difficult to replace - I assume it's Cowan who last year had 7 attempts all year and 1 of those was picked off

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
          Curious who you think has the hardest time 'replacing' their QB this year as half the teams look to 'new' signal callers

Leaves ESU for me as the most difficult to replace - I assume it's Cowan who last year had 7 attempts all year and 1 of those was picked off
          You must have over looked Cowan 54 yard touchdown pass verses FH when Marstall had to come out of the game. He could struggle early but he has a very bright future!

Comment

Pitt St. - John Roderique - 31 career games - 5,698 passing yards for 39 TDs, 1,281 yards rushing for 19 TDs and also had a receiving TD in his career
            FHSU - Jacob Mezera - 37 career games - 7,392 passing yards for 57 TDs, and 3 rushing TDs
            ESU - Braxton Marstall - 37 career games - 8,981 passing yards for 75 TDs, 1,125 rushing yards for 16 TDs
            UCM - Jeremy Hunt - 10 career games - 2,281 passing yards for 19 TDs, 214 rushing yards for 3 TDs
            MWSU - Dom Marino - 18 career games - 2,163 passing yards for 16 TDs, 1,067 rushing yards for 11 TDs
            LU - Henry Ogala - 12 career games - 1,857 passing yards for 10 TDs, 70 rushing yards for 2 TDs

Considering UCM is silly I guess, but I have heard a small rumor that Bolles may be taking some time in practice at wide receiver. Pitt St. and FHSU also have experienced guys to step into the starting roles this year.

Lincoln I don't think it matters, Ogala transferred I think, so they'd probably prefer him back for another year but again, does it matter, no.

Dom Marino was kind of a gritty QB that got them to their first post season since 2012 but production wise I think MO West can find a similar replacement.

I'm going to agree that on paper Marstall would be the most difficult to replace...just like Tyler Eckenrode (3742 yards and 29 TD in 12 games as ESU went 10-2) was the most difficult to replace after 2012 (Brent Wilson only threw for 2985 yards and 33 TDs in 10 games as ESU went 9-2 and made playoffs in 2013) and Brent Wilson (4244 yards and 40 TD in 14 games as ESU went 11-3) was the most difficult to replace after 2015 (Braxton Marstall only threw for 3599 yards and 31 TD in 13 games as ESU went 11-2 and made the playoffs).
            It would be a good bet that Dalton Cowan will not have the numbers this season that Marstall had last year. Marstall was a senior and the Offensive MVP in the league. Cowan will be a sophomore.
            One thing to remember is that Brent Wilson was seven for 21 for 112 yards with two INT and one TD as a freshman.
            I think Higgins has shown over the years that he can develop QBs. Heck Ty Reasno won MIAA Offensive Player of the Week in the first game after Wilson was hurt in 2014.

Comment

I agree with the sentiments above that Cowan is likely going to be just fine... But to answer the question, I think that I think the team with the hardest time is going to be Lincoln.

Western is a run dominant offense that doesn't really ask a whole lot out of it's passing game, Pitt State has four solid choices and two of them played in meaningful spots last year, ESU has a proven track record of getting production out of the QB position, UCM has one of the better situations in the QB position in the MIAA, and FHSU got a couple of really good showings from Chance Fuller last year and I think he's going to be really good.

Lincoln on the other hand is going to have an unproven guy playing against superior talent than they did all last season and they are going to have to do it without a proven running game.

Comment

https://anchor.fm/miaa-weekly/episod...Preview-e5698i

Episode 7 is here as I scramble to finish the team previews before kickoff on Thursday! This time, we talk Washburn and Northwest Missouri State...

Click and listen because it's my birthday and it would make for a great (and cheap!) gift.

Thanks for all the support I've been given already!

Comment

Episode 8 is a marathon, not a sprint (relatively speaking). In this episode we look at MWSU, FHSU, and NSU heading into 2019.

I hope you enjoy it!

https://anchor.fm/miaa-weekly/episod...Preview-e57hp6

Comment

JRod missed a ton of PT in his 4 years and played hurt for most of what he did play. Having a healthy, young QB in there full time might be a good thing. Unfortunately it seems that Beck plans to do QB by committee.

Comment

It may be committee until someone separates themselves on the field. Maybe that hasn't happened in practice yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
                        It may be committee until someone separates themselves on the field. Maybe that hasn't happened in practice yet.
                        That's possible. I actually think the 3 have vastly different skillsets, and can see some cases where they could compliment each other. I just don't like what that does to consistency.

Comment

Mlekus= speedy, bad passer.
                          Harman= power runner, decent passer
                          Sexton= Good passer, unproven runner.

Comment

Comment

A Pitt QB has to have that "because eff them that's why" attitude. Dickey had it in 2011.

I think it is Harman who will bring it, though.

Comment

Sexton broke his femur halfway through his Sr season or he might not have ended up at Pitt. The "Hey he just threw it 70 yards in the air" arm talent is kind of rare..

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X