Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bearcat06 View Post

Thanks for your post. Some of the other's were making me nausea.

Amazing how many Bearcat fan's seem so self entitled that the team should go 15-0 and win a NC every year or its time to run the coach out of town and find a new one.

Any clue if NW is targeting Hair? I hope they are ..
    I know NW, MW, Pitt, UCM, SEMO, Benedictine, SBU have all offered. Older brother starts at Truman St. LePage has to be in a major quandary at Blair Oaks. Next year will be the first year he hasn't had a Hair at starting QB in like 8 years.
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

• Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

You realize we were playing sophomores and RS-Freshman.
      Very aware but just because they were young doesn’t mean they need to be coached up or couldn’t benefit from a veteran transfer being added to the mix. Secondary can’t be what it was this past year.

Comment

• GV played mostly Soph's last year and only lost to the eventual champ - it's paying off this year with Juniors and Soph's primarily on the field - Pitt and NW are good teams and great programs - they will continue to prosper

Comment

• Article by Northwest Missourian Sports Editor Wesley Miller

No. 1 Grand Valley State 13, No. 8 Northwest 8

THE END.

Grand Valley State defeats Northwest football in second round of playoffs to bring an end to Bearcats' season

WESLEY MILLER | Sports Editor | @wesleymiller360

Nov 26, 2022 Updated Nov 26, 2022

Northwest football coach Rich Wright looks at his players during the team's meeting after its 13-8 loss to Grand Valley State in the second round of the Division II playoffs. The Bearcats end the season with a record of 10-3.

ALLENDALE, Mich. — The two ends of Lubbers Stadium told two different stories. One told a story of celebration and excitement, while the other told a tale filled with disappointment and sorrow.

It was there, in the stadium, where one football team got to continue its story, but the other teams’ journey came to an end. Northwest football’s story for the 2022 season is over. There are no more pages to fill after a 13-8 loss to No. 1 Grand Valley State Nov. 26 in the second round of the Division II playoffs marked the conclusion of the Bearcats’ campaign.

Coach Rich Wright met with his players at the north end of Lubbers Stadium. He made sure to turn and look at all the players kneeled down in front of him. However, some eyes were too filled with tears to match his gaze.

“It was a great football game by two really good teams,” Wright said. “I’ve been blessed being at Northwest Missouri for 19 seasons, and I’ve been at a lot of these games. Some we’ve won, and some we’ve lost, and just two good football teams went at it.”

As he looked at the crowd around him on Grand Valley’s field, Wright spoke words of encouragement to his team despite the loss. He said there were mistakes made, but he’s proud of the effort against the No. 1 team in Division II.

Perhaps no one’s eyes were more filled with tears than the 12 seniors whose careers just came to an end nearly 630 miles away from Maryville on the turf of Lubbers Stadium.

“I think that’s one of the toughest things,” Wright said with his own tears beginning to form, moments after his speech to the players. “I think sometimes kids make the mistake of defining their legacy on whether or not they’re playing in the national championship game. To me, with this group, it was about the journey. … I’m disappointed in the outcome today, but I’m in no way disappointed with the journey because they did a remarkable job of leading and showing this younger generation exactly what it takes to have those opportunities moving forward.”

There were five seniors on defense and seven on offense. Sophomore linebacker Andrew Dumas has been able to play and practice alongside all of them in his three years as a Bearcat.

Specifically, Dumas said senior linebacker Sam Phillips helped him grow into the player he is now, and he said he learned a lot from being around Phillips.

“I wouldn’t wanna do it with anyone else,” Dumas said. “I mean, Sam Phillips, from the moment I came into the program, he took me under his wing. I remember like it was yesterday — first day of fall camp — he said, ‘I like you,’ and he stuck with me from then on out.”

Dumas said Phillips always had a great mindset, and will continue to learn from him even after he leaves just from watching film and remembering his style of play. He said all of the seniors were great players and teammates, and he’s glad he got to experience the time with them.

It was a slow start for the Bearcats, as they didn’t pick up a first down until just over 14:30 to go in the second quarter. Northwest had five drives up that point but totaled 21 yards on those five drives combined, even with starting at the Lakers’ 39-yard line for one of them.

When junior quarterback Mike Hohensee came into the game with 14:42 on the clock in the second quarter, the Northwest offense was able to find a groove, picking up a first down in all but two of its drives after that.

Wright said the reason Hohensee didn’t go the entire first quarter, except to punt, was because of the flu, which also kept him out of practice for most of the week.

“All week, I was down pretty bad,” Hohensee said. “So, I just had to watch film from home and just be ready for when I had to go to the game.”

Even when the junior was in the game, the team missed out on some key opportunities. The Bearcats were 2-for-5 in the red zone against the Lakers. Two of their trips inside the 20-yard line ended in a turnover.

“We started moving the ball down the field — we just got to finish when we get in the red zone — is really what it comes down to,” Hohensee said.

Wright said he was impressed with the way Hohensee was able to manufacture big plays, but touchdowns are necessary to beat a team like Grand Valley.

“When you play a quality opponent like that, the margin for error is very small,” Wright said.

Northwest was able to go in front of Grand Valley in the later stages of the game when sophomore kicker Cole Lammel booted in a 25-yard field goal. The Bearcats were up 8-7 and in dire need of a stop from their defense with 3:49 to go in the game.

It didn’t go that way, though. On the following drive, the Lakers traveled 72 yards in five plays, which was capped off by a 6-yard touchdown run from junior running back Tariq Reid. With 1:55 left to play, Grand Valley went up 13-8 — a lead the team kept for the rest of the contest.

The play that set the Lakers up to take the lead was a 52-yard bomb from junior quarterback Cade Peterson to sophomore wide receiver Jahdae Walker. Two plays later, Reid ran in the go-ahead touchdown.

“We came up on the short end of the stick,” Wright said. “Kudos to (the Lakers), they executed down the stretch, and they needed to hit us with the big explosive over the top and that was the difference. There were a lot of momentum shifts in the game. I felt like we were in it. Felt like, if we got to the fourth quarter, we were going to have an opportunity and just ended up coming up short.”

The Bearcats’ season comes to a close after the game with the most rushing yards their defense has given up all season. Going into the second round of the playoffs, Northwest boasted the No. 1 rush defense, giving up 52.8 yards per contest. However, Grand Valley ran for 200 rushing yards during the playoff win.

Northwest football sophomore defensive backs Rhett Jordon and Josh Turner attempt to tackle Grand Valley State junior running back Tariq Reid. The Lakers totaled 200 rushing yards against the Bearcats, which is the most rushing yards Northwest has given up in a game during the 2022 season.

The final record for the Bearcats is 10-3, and Northwest now looks to the offseason and preparation for the 2023 season, while Grand Valley advances to the Super Region Three title game against Ferris State Dec. 3.

Lakers’ coach Matt Mitchell said he was impressed with the Bearcats’ season and how they played against his team. Wright said he will cherish the work ethic the departing seniors displayed all year.

“They just kept getting better, and we knew this was gonna be a tough test for us,” Mitchell said.

“What those guys did for throughout this football season — what we had to battle back from — the fact they were able to get us into the national playoffs, create an opportunity for us to play in this game today and play at the level in which they played, I can’t be disappointed,” Wright said. “I’ll be forever appreciative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Half the MIAA is after him along with some glvc teams.
            Suspected as much. I'm not local anymore but know that family has been a PITA to the Spoofhounds for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
              LePage has to be in a major quandary at Blair Oaks. Next year will be the first year he hasn't had a Hair at starting QB in like 8 years.
              8 years of off and on misery for the Hounds.

Comment

• Unfortunately for me I missed the entire NW vs GV game due to our family Thanksgiving on Saturday. I was able to listen to just a brief segment of the pre-game, but enough to hear QB Braden Wright was starting due to Hohensee's illness and mentioned the Northwest team had been fighting the flu all week. Was there any other mention during the pre-game or the post-game the extent of the flu for the NW team? Not looking for excuses. Just curious. And, if your believe that ... Anyway, it was a huge family gathering and mom is 94 so I respectfully stayed away from the game. Tormenting. I did catch the KXCV broadcast in the last minutes of the game just in time to hear the Bearcats get themselves in postion for Lammel's FG to put us up 8-7. Stunned by that score, but at that point I was feeling pretty comfortable I wasn't the only Bearcat fan who thought the NW defense was going to hold that score. Well, crud. About that time, I was pulled away and by the time I was able to get back to the game GV had already completed the 52-yd pass play downfield. Curious who was covering that pass? Hell of a game by both teams. Heartbreaking loss for this Bearcat team. Again, wondering if anyone had heard the extent of the flu bug that hit this NW team as mentioned during the brief pre-game I was able to catch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I’ll feel like we accomplished something if we’re still in it and have a chance in the 4th quarter.
                  I can't be disappointed.... we had a chance in the fourth quarter and even had a lead with under 4 minutes to play. NW's limitations have been well documented in this forum, but as bad as "we" like to think we are at times, we're not that far away. Turn the page.

Comment

• I was listening on KXCV and checking on comments on MB when I noticed someone posted a link to the GV TV station; thus, I was able to watch the last half. For me the turning point of the game was the last time NW had the ball in the red zone and came away with only a FG. They called three run plays up the middle to make one yard instead of trying to throw the ball. The miserable spots did not help, as the O-linemen were arguing with the officials instead of focusing on the next play. In such a close game it's the little things that loom large. The GV lineman who tapped the fumble out of the back of the end zone resulting in a safety instead of a NW TD saved the day for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I can't be disappointed.... we had a chance in the fourth quarter and even had a lead with under 4 minutes to play. NW's limitations have been well documented in this forum, but as bad as "we" like to think we are at times, we're not that far away. Turn the page.
                      This

We complained about this team all year and yet they just took the #1 team in the country to the wire. Offensive woes have to be addressed, but this team is program is still elite. Given all the youth that stepped up this year, expectations will be through the roof next year. No offense to Mikey Ho, who may still be the guy next year, but I agree with others that there needs to be a clear competition for QB1.

Comment

• Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                        ….”The GV lineman who tapped the fumble out of the back of the end zone resulting in a safety instead of a NW TD saved the day for them.”
                        I agree. That heads up play cost NW 4-5 pts

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat06 View Post

Thanks for your post. Some of the other's were making me nausea.

Amazing how many Bearcat fan's seem so self entitled that the team should go 15-0 and win a NC every year or its time to run the coach out of town and find a new one.

Any clue if NW is targeting Hair? I hope they are ..
                          Just watched this kid’s highlight video. We’ll be lucky if he sticks to D2 football. What a lively arm and quick legs. Reminds me of that lacrosse QB from Ferris State.

BEARCAT FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

Comment

• After 3 pt wins against PSU and GVSU, Ferris State advances to the National Championship with a 21 point win over West Florida proving once again what we already knew to be true about this region.

Comment

• Yep. FSU over Pitt & GV by 3, GV over NW by 5, FS over GV by 3 for a total point spread of 14 vs FS over WF by 21…hmm

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X