Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You’re the new NW Head Coach: tell us how you rebuild

Putting this out as a thought exercise for the armchair coaches among us:

You’ve been hired as the new NW FB coach, tasked with restoring the program’s winning ways. How do you rebuild the program? What choices do you make (offensive and defensive philosophy), where do you recruit, and who do you hire for staff (assuming that NW actually gives you a budget to hire coaches instead of GAs)?

Originally posted by lleachieshusband View Post
    Putting this out as a thought exercise for the armchair coaches among us:

You’ve been hired as the new NW FB coach, tasked with restoring the program’s winning ways. How do you rebuild the program? What choices do you make (offensive and defensive philosophy), where do you recruit, and who do you hire for staff (assuming that NW actually gives you a budget to hire coaches instead of GAs)?
    You do realize that if your team finishes 6-5, they're a winning team?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

You do realize that if your team finishes 6-5, they're a winning team?
      ...and how many years have they missed the playoffs?

Comment

Guys, guys, before you flame me, let’s assume this is a “down the road” thought exercise? Like maybe after RW retires? And by “return to winning ways”, read that as a return to being a regular title contender”?

Comment

Originally posted by lleachieshusband View Post
          Guys, guys, before you flame me, let’s assume this is a “down the road” thought exercise? Like maybe after RW retires? And by “return to winning ways”, read that as a return to being a regular title contender”?
          Great. Then be specific. I knew what you meant, but the wording was sloppy. I don't think it's fair to call for jobs or criticize players and coaches that know thousands times more about football when the criticism by word jockeys isn't precise itself.

Comment

Originally posted by MuleBall View Post

...and how many years have they missed the playoffs?

Comment

I would cancel practices and tell the players to just show up on game days. We would kneel on every offensive possession, and let the other team score in 1 play every time.

We would still beat Lincoln, but that can't be helped.

I would also have the players wear Mickey mouse ears and perform an acapella version of "Kung Fu fighting" while eating peanut butter and live stream it.

I would hire one assistant. His job would be to wash my car and do odd jobs around my house.

Comment

Just run the veer

Comment

*going as anticipated*
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Geez, coaches (and officials) are humans too!

Comment

Since the waterboy is from 1998 I would see if Bobby Boucher has any sons.

Comment

the first thing you are going to have to do is tune out the white noise of all the experts that aren't in the field.

Comment

SMFH.... Let's run the entire staff out of town for one lousy year.

Some of us remember the pre-Mel days when barely anyone showed up and a suspect team was brought in for Homecoming so the crowd was there by day and the bars filled by night....

Comment

Why did Dorrel leave in the first place???

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat06 View Post
                              SMFH.... Let's run the entire staff out of town for one lousy year.

Some of us remember the pre-Mel days when barely anyone showed up and a suspect team was brought in for Homecoming so the crowd was there by day and the bars filled by night....
                              I recall those days. You forgot to add that NW was a "preferred" homecoming opponent for many a school. Many forget, or have no clue, that Rolla and Northeast were conference contenders and the only game that mattered at NW was the game for the "Hickory Stick"!. Of course most of this is before Pitt joined the league in 1989 and upped the ante for everyone. Then "Along Came Mel" and football was invented.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X