Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Harris

X is saying Harris has committed to Oregon. Here is my take (some of you won’t like it):

The transfer portal is going to have some negative impacts on D2 football. We’d all, especially NW fans, love to see Harris play 2 more years of D2 ball and dominate. We all want to believe that “if you can play, the League will find you”. While that is true to an extent, if Harris goes to the Ducks and puts up 1500 yards over the next 2 years, he will attract more attention than if he put up 3000 over that time at NW. Looking at it from the kid’s perspective, this is a no brainier.

It won’t work out this way for a lot of kids. It may not work out for Harris, but I really hope it does and he goes on to make $$ in the NFL.

Originally posted by ForeverGreen View Post
    X is saying Harris has committed to Oregon. Here is my take (some of you won’t like it):

The transfer portal is going to have some negative impacts on D2 football. We’d all, especially NW fans, love to see Harris play 2 more years of D2 ball and dominate. We all want to believe that “if you can play, the League will find you”. While that is true to an extent, if Harris goes to the Ducks and puts up 1500 yards over the next 2 years, he will attract more attention than if he put up 3000 over that time at NW. Looking at it from the kid’s perspective, this is a no brainier.

It won’t work out this way for a lot of kids. It may not work out for Harris, but I really hope it does and he goes on to make $$ in the NFL.
    Agree 100%.

Comment

This is certainly true. I'm hoping that Harding's offense, culture, and approach insulates us a bit from the effects of the transfer portal. No one is going to go after our offensive lineman, quarterbacks, or receivers any time soon.

Transfer portal has made it a new world. Next to the headline of Harding's national championship in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette sports section, there was the story of KJ Jefferson of the Arkansas Razorbacks entering the portal for his senior season. He's the most prolific quarterback in Razorback history, but won't be back for his final year. Unthinkable a few years ago.
      Passing is a Sin

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBones View Post
        This is certainly true. I'm hoping that Harding's offense, culture, and approach insulates us a bit from the effects of the transfer portal. No one is going to go after our offensive lineman, quarterbacks, or receivers any time soon.

Transfer portal has made it a new world. Next to the headline of Harding's national championship in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette sports section, there was the story of KJ Jefferson of the Arkansas Razorbacks entering the portal for his senior season. He's the most prolific quarterback in Razorback history, but won't be back for his final year. Unthinkable a few years ago.
        You’ve already got a QB in the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
          You’ve already got a QB in the portal.
          Hadn't heard that. I quit twitter/X a bit ago. I hope he does well. The stats for transfers from DII (and really all across the board) haven't been promising.

Can't say I'm completely surprised. Cole Keylon just won a national championship as a sophomore. Using the transfer portal because you're playing behind a sophomore with almost no chance to get the starting job outside of injury is different than being the starter and using the transfer portal to find a bigger pond.
          Passing is a Sin

Comment

Fair point and congrats on the natty.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBones View Post

Hadn't heard that. I quit twitter/X a bit ago. I hope he does well. The stats for transfers from DII (and really all across the board) haven't been promising.

Can't say I'm completely surprised. Cole Keylon just won a national championship as a sophomore. Using the transfer portal because you're playing behind a sophomore with almost no chance to get the starting job outside of injury is different than being the starter and using the transfer portal to find a bigger pond.
              I should clarify. No where was I criticizing the kids decision to enter the portal, just pointing out that no program is immune, and it will likely be cyclical. Last year KState had few portal hits, now they have the most of the big 12, I think.

Comment

no one will be immune but we will see certain coaches over time demonstrate an ability to keep relatively speaking more of the players they want either bc of culture, an ability to recruit their own players well, via identifying fits on the front end, etc and it’ll be a skill that separates.

if one of our (miaa) guys has the opp to go to a place like uo obv wave goodbye
                Go Bearcats!
                M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

It's a catch 22. The players who can actually level up are hard to keep.

Otoh, do you even want to keep those who are going to hit the portal and never play ball again.

Comment

former NWMSU BB player extraordinaire Trevor Hudgins is a rare instance of a player who remained loyal to his teammates, Coach and University despite having plenty of talent to go D1. Sadly his type will be rarer and rarer going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverGreen View Post

It's much more than getting attention from the NFL. The facilities, coaching, atmosphere, scholarship, campus... you name it and it's going to be an incredible upgrade for this young man. What a great opportunity.

Comment

Looks like UO is pretty excited about getting JH. He’ll be their biggest back. Good luck to him in his next step and hope to see him in the NFL some day

Comment

D2 guys looking to level up i get, that makes total sense. one of the things i don't understand are the seeming lateral moves that take place in FBS. is it all nil money? actually education driven? personality conflicts? some of them just seem weird to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                            D2 guys looking to level up i get, that makes total sense. one of the things i don't understand are the seeming lateral moves that take place in FBS. is it all nil money? actually education driven? personality conflicts? some of them just seem weird to me.
                            I suspect playing time/exposure, NIL, and personality are the main drivers with a good bit of thinking that the grass is greener.
                            Passing is a Sin

Comment

NIL, endorsements & sponsorships can really add up in D1. My wife’s great niece is a true freshman playing at U of A and she’s already north of 1/2 million overall

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X