Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GNAC Future

The idea of UBC going NCAA is ridiculous. They aren't the most competitive program in U Sport, and the added cost of having to compete in the US is a deterrent. From speaking to a few colleagues who work in the athletics department, they are currently trying to bolster facilities, staff, alumni relationships, etc. just to continue improving at the U Sport level. Furthermore, from recent donations made to their football program by David Sidoo - That program isn't going anywhere.

SFU on the other hand would be well served to cut their football program - It is a huge burden on the department in terms of human and financial resources, and in my opinion, is at least a decade from getting back to what it was. My impression is that in the next few years, SFU will follow WWU's example, cut football, and re-invest money into their other programs where they can remain more competitive. I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board, and certainly not the option I would have hoped for, but I think it makes the most sense in terms of finances and athletic success.

Comment

Originally posted by 110proof View Post
      The idea of UBC going NCAA is ridiculous. They aren't the most competitive program in U Sport, and the added cost of having to compete in the US is a deterrent. From speaking to a few colleagues who work in the athletics department, they are currently trying to bolster facilities, staff, alumni relationships, etc. just to continue improving at the U Sport level. Furthermore, from recent donations made to their football program by David Sidoo - That program isn't going anywhere.

SFU on the other hand would be well served to cut their football program - It is a huge burden on the department in terms of human and financial resources, and in my opinion, is at least a decade from getting back to what it was. My impression is that in the next few years, SFU will follow WWU's example, cut football, and re-invest money into their other programs where they can remain more competitive. I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board, and certainly not the option I would have hoped for, but I think it makes the most sense in terms of finances and athletic success.
      I think the University before what happened and Humboldt State was all in with making the football program a success. They brought in a outstanding coach that tore everything down. Coach Ford is building the program his way and is a tireless recruiter and such a positive influence on the athletes.

Believe me after what happened at Humboldt State I understand your opinion. I've been thinking the same thing. I don't believe there is a stable program in the conference to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway Grill View Post
        I think the University before what happened and Humboldt State was all in with making the football program a success. They brought in a outstanding coach that tore everything down. Coach Ford is building the program his way and is a tireless recruiter and such a positive influence on the athletes.

Believe me after what happened at Humboldt State I understand your opinion. I've been thinking the same thing. I don't believe there is a stable program in the conference to be honest.
        CWU is stable. I think APU is as well. WOU is the very definition of stability, as they've had basically the same record every year I've been watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
          CWU is stable. I think APU is as well. WOU is the very definition of stability, as they've had basically the same record every year I've been watching them.
          Negotiations with the Athletic Director will need to be creative with making a schedule. Hope he read the Art of the Deal. The RMAC, LSC, and NSIC etc... will be asking for all home games. They don't have to do home and away future scheduling when a Program/Conference is a needle away from Dr. Kevokian. It's going to be $$$$$$$ in travel.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post
            Negotiations with the Athletic Director will need to be creative with making a schedule. Hope he read the Art of the Deal. The RMAC, LSC, and NSIC etc... will be asking for all home games. They don't have to do home and away future scheduling when a Program/Conference is a needle away from Dr. Kevokian. It's going to be $$$$$$$ in travel.
            Tim has heard there's a scheduling agreement with the LSC for 2 road, 1 home game with their teams. They still need to find a couple more games per year, but I think that's doable. Probably 1 FCS game to defray costs some.

Comment

Tim has heard there's a scheduling agreement with the LSC for 2 road, 1 home game with their teams. They still need to find a couple more games per year, but I think that's doable. Probably 1 FCS game to defray costs some.
              I have heard this as well from a CWU source.

CWU has Idaho in week 2 next year. I think that has the potential for a W. I do not like that the AD is scheduling FCS. It might cost us a playoff berth this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

CWU has Idaho in week 2 next year. I think that has the potential for a W. I do not like that the AD is scheduling FCS. It might cost us a playoff berth this year.
                It's the same agreement that got shot down a few year's ago when the LSC and GNAC needed help in scheduling. Even with this in place you still need to fill out the rest of the schedule. And those are going to be road games if the AD doesn't get creative in negotiations with the other Athletic Director. Have no problem with one FCS team, but you better still play 11 D2 games on the schedule.
                Last edited by the tav; 11-05-2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

If CWU had beaten WTAMU, they'd be in the playoffs for sure. The FCS game just makes it so a loss hurts more. Though, if we play 3 LSC games, that's going to increase SOS significantly. So maybe it's not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway Grill View Post

Milton Richards (former SFU AD) can be credited with tearing down that program. Got rid of Dave Johnson during an off-year (even though they started 2-0 and even got some top-25 votes that year, and had improved every year but that one), hired Chapdelaine (he should've known he was using it as a stop-gap), and hired Kelly Bates (very unqualified, and from what I heard, not great with the athletes).

I haven't heard much about Coach Ford (aside from him having committed a few NCAA violations early on), but he has a tough road ahead. One thing Dave Johnson did well (from the outside looking in) was build relationships with local programs and talent, and sell the dream of building something at SFU. He did that on the back of getting rid of a 3-year losing streak, and then did it again on the back of going NCAA. Now, there's only so many multi-year losing streaks you can sell, and the novelty of the NCAA is running its course, so I'm genuinely curious as to what Ford can do. I can't say I envy his job one minute.

Comment

Originally posted by 110proof View Post
                      Milton Richards (former SFU AD) can be credited with tearing down that program. Got rid of Dave Johnson during an off-year (even though they started 2-0 and even got some top-25 votes that year, and had improved every year but that one), hired Chapdelaine (he should've known he was using it as a stop-gap), and hired Kelly Bates (very unqualified, and from what I heard, not great with the athletes).

I haven't heard much about Coach Ford (aside from him having committed a few NCAA violations early on), but he has a tough road ahead. One thing Dave Johnson did well (from the outside looking in) was build relationships with local programs and talent, and sell the dream of building something at SFU. He did that on the back of getting rid of a 3-year losing streak, and then did it again on the back of going NCAA. Now, there's only so many multi-year losing streaks you can sell, and the novelty of the NCAA is running its course, so I'm genuinely curious as to what Ford can do. I can't say I envy his job one minute.
                      He has the team playing harder than they did last year, that's for sure. Though it is kind of amazing how they can keep finding new ways to shoot themselves in the foot when the game's close.

Comment

I heard SW Baptist is also traveling to Ellensburg next year on their broadcast. I hope they can find it and not try going 30 miles south of Seattle.

Comment

He has the team playing harder than they did last year, that's for sure. Though it is kind of amazing how they can keep finding new ways to shoot themselves in the foot when the game's close.
                          Very true, taking APU to the limit was very, very impressive and a sure sign of growth as a program. With it being HSU's last game Saturday, they may play hard or they may just want to get it over. Depending on that, SFU could easily pick up bookend wins this year as they had a chance down in Arcata to beat them if not for turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
                            Very true, taking APU to the limit was very, very impressive and a sure sign of growth as a program. With it being HSU's last game Saturday, they may play hard or they may just want to get it over. Depending on that, SFU could easily pick up bookend wins this year as they had a chance down in Arcata to beat them if not for turnovers.
                            I like what the Clan has done this year. Give Thomas Ford 3 recruiting classes and conference stability and I bet they're nipping at CWU heel's in a few year's. Seattle and South Sound coaches love the guy. And his brother's gym Ford Sports and Performance is going to help in local recruiting.

Comment

https://cwuobserver.com/12487/sports...eave-the-gnac/

I wrote to the writer of this piece basically saying, "dude...... WTH are you taking about? Do a little research." Of course, being a former college student thinking I was king sh*t, it took a few "come to Jesus" moments before I realized that maybe I wasn't the world's greatest reporter after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
                                https://cwuobserver.com/12487/sports...eave-the-gnac/

I wrote to the writer of this piece basically saying, "dude...... WTH are you taking about? Do a little research." Of course, being a former college student thinking I was king sh*t, it took a few "come to Jesus" moments before I realized that maybe I wasn't the world's greatest reporter after all.
                                There are adults on this board that don't realize what it takes to get to D1. People are absolutely clueless.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X