Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving on up to D1

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
    We need facility improvements just to remain competitive in the LSC and Division II before we jump into Division I.

We are WAYYYYYYY behind our counterparts in the LSC. Look at what WTAM is building and that is what we would need to get noticed down here in D1 or the FCS division. We need a major renovation or a totally new stadium which include all the bells and whistles you see with the WTAM stadium. Tarleton is doing some good things too and it won't be too long before Midwestern gets into the new/renovation thing too.

Our "arena", AKA the Spec is also dated and needs a replacement. And the baseball program deserves some love too. They need their own locker facilities and indoor batting cages and it would be nice to get a real material type netting around the backstops and baselines so you can watch a game through it vs the chain link fencing.

BUT it's going to take an AD with a vision and willingness to engage the community, alumni, business, and current students to get this done. We have lacked that type of person in that position. We've had one that thought spending athletic fees on intramural fields and for fancy beach volleyball courts was priority vs the bread and butter sports. Our counterparts such as Angelo, WTAM, Tarleton, Commerce, and even Eastern New Mexico have managed to find that person who has either started the ball rolling or completed the job for another person who started the process. I hear about capital campaigns for this and that at the school, but yet they don't exclusively focus on the athletic program.

So until we bring that type of person in, we will not be able to give every tool to our coaches need to recruit and bring the best student athletes down here to play those bread and butter sports. And it's a shame because I feel right now we have some good coaches in those particular programs. Thanks to the world we live in (social media driven), in order to recruit you have to have bling whether you like or not. The NAIA championship banners from 40 years ago displayed on the stadium walls are irrelevant to most kids today. The first question from them is " What the heck is the NAIA?" Kind of like them looking a rotary telephone or type writer. Many have never, ever seen one.
    It's been 20 years since I've been to Piggie Stadium, but I had to go down there for work a few months back.. Did a workout at the football stadium, and it hasn't changed a bit since I last went down there.. Serious upgrades are needed to that facility.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
      HAHAHA...."What do you want me to do? Dress in drag and do the hula"?

https://youtu.be/Etkws_5mexg
      Na. The dude was wanting to know what the mascot would be for TAMUCC+kv. They need something with pigs and islanders. I just thought this would be a great mix

Comment

Originally posted by gruesome View Post
        It's been 20 years since I've been to Piggie Stadium, but I had to go down there for work a few months back.. Did a workout at the football stadium, and it hasn't changed a bit since I last went down there.. Serious upgrades are needed to that facility.
        We've installed turf and a new track and added some restrooms (which are far removed from the stadium) and ticket booths and that's about it. The press box hasn't been touched for a half century or more.

The big mistake is not taking a piecemeal approach to doing renovations if they are not going to be on board to a massive rebuild. One year the press boxes should be the focus on both sides of the stadium with the goal of adding some suites along with grandstand refurbishment . The west stands need to be replaced in total. A few years ago during a high school football playoff game I attended, a fan fell through the stands on that side of the stadium. Good thing ( and that is just a figure of speech), he/she was only six or seven rows up and managed to only have minor injuries. Then the next goal would be to refurbish the locker rooms, common areas like concession stands , training and related facilities in and around the stadium.

Comment

We've installed turf and a new track and added some restrooms (which are far removed from the stadium) and ticket booths and that's about it. The press box hasn't been touched for a half century or more.

The big mistake is not taking a piecemeal approach to doing renovations if they are not going to be on board to a massive rebuild. One year the press boxes should be the focus on both sides of the stadium with the goal of adding some suites along with grandstand refurbishment . The west stands need to be replaced in total. A few years ago during a high school football playoff game I attended, a fan fell through the stands on that side of the stadium. Good thing ( and that is just a figure of speech), he/she was only six or seven rows up and managed to only have minor injuries. Then the next goal would be to refurbish the locker rooms, common areas like concession stands , training and related facilities in and around the stadium.

Comment

I'm sure they made a quick agreement to compensate him. Especially with the number of Sharks.... err Trial Lawyers, who were in attendance that night who saw it first hand.

Comment

I'm sure they made a quick agreement to compensate him. Especially with the number of Sharks.... err Trial Lawyers, who were in attendance that night who saw it first hand.
              Considering that public entities such as school districts and public universities are immune to such law suits, I'd actually be surprised if he was compensated at all.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
                Considering that public entities such as school districts and public universities are immune to such law suits, I'd actually be surprised if he was compensated at all.
                http://www.kingsvillerecord.com/news...64fd73729.html

By compensation, I meant TAMUK paid his medical bills. At least, this is what I was told. Instead of identifying Dennis, University needs to identify the needs of an aging stadium.

Comment

HA! Dressing in drag is reserved for ASU Ram fans from Allen and Wall, Texas. Along with ACU fans from around the globe.
                  HEY NOW!!!! I resemble that remark!

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
                    Na. The dude was wanting to know what the mascot would be for TAMUCC+kv. They need something with pigs and islanders. I just thought this would be a great mix
                    Yes, I know. Thought it was hilarious. It just reminded me of that scene of Pumbaa & Timon from The Lion King.

Comment

Looks like another exciting D1 season for Incarnate Word!

Comment

Originally posted by El-Hoggie View Post
                        I have read all the threads here about LSC schools moving on up to D1. Tarleton State, TAMUC, WTAM etc. The only LSC school not talking about it is Texas A&M Kingsville. This is a University that would probably benefit the most in moving to D1. The Javelinas have been in the top of all D2 schools when it comes to attendance. The Javs have a great history, save for the last 5 or 6 years. I ask the powers that be, what gives? There has already been talk about merging Texas A&M Kingsville with Texas A&M Corpus Christi but went array due to talk behind closed doors. The Islanders already have a D1 program but no football. The Javelinas have all the sports but are in D2 with many players from the Corpus Christi High Schools. If they merge, the football team would not have to wait to compete in the playoffs due to TAMUCC being already in D1. UTRGV is about to start football and UTSA just started their football program a few years ago and they are encroaching on the two Universities in the Coastal Bend. If the A&Ms merge the student body will be about 22k and growing! This needs to happen! Now, what to do about the mascot? The colors can be blue, green and gold. Your thoughts?
                        Sounds reasonable to me. The Islanders/Javelinas would seem to be a natural fit in the Southland Conf in event the SLC wanted to expand.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Pops says they are awash with cash. Obviously, they DO NOT spend it on recruiting talent. They are not competitive in nearly every sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                            Pops says they are awash with cash. Obviously, they DO NOT spend it on recruiting talent. They are not competitive in nearly every sport.
                            I think the Benson tap was cut off.
                            Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

If nothing else, there appears to be some exciting road trips for the players at least. Maybe be lucky enough to be the visiting team at their opponents 'Homecoming' games.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                                If nothing else, there appears to be some exciting road trips for the players at least. Maybe be lucky enough to be the visiting team at their opponents 'Homecoming' games.

How come they aren't playing Houston Baptist?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X