• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Re: Old Foes Meet Again - ASU vs ACU Game Thread

For the year, we are completing 55% of the our passes, have thrown more interceptions than touchdowns, and are averaging 230 yards/game through the air. Last year, Charlie completed 57% of his passes with 6 TD's and 5 INT's. I am just not seeing the development.

The play calling has me completely confused as well. Why not, with the defense playing the way it is, try to take more than 6-8 seconds off the play clock before snapping it? Why not try to shorten the game a bit? I'm not saying scrap everything we do, but slowing down a bit would help our defense a ton! Here are the series for the 1st half Saturday:
          1st Quarter:
          3 plays, 2 yards, 45 seconds (punt)
          3 plays, 4 yards, 47 seconds (punt)
          3 plays, 1 yard, 41 seconds (punt)
          3 plays, -3 yards, 1:41 (punt)

2nd Quarter:
          after a KO return for TD, followed by an interception that put the ball on their 30
          3 plays, -3 yards, 41 seconds - 1 run & 2 verts that weren't close (quick kick that ended up going -5 yards)
          8 plays, 89 yards, 2:04 (TD pass to Ayo)
          3 plays, 3 yards, 1:10 (punt)
          6 plays, 24 yards, 1:31 (punt)
          6 plays, 52 yards, :43 (ended with a 42 yard field goal)

You know you are going to have disadvantage on numbers alone that will most likely cause you to get tired, why not try to help out your defense and take more time off the clock. On 9 total possessions in the 1st half, we held the ball for a total of 10:05. Just over 1 minute per possession.

The second half wasn't any better:
          5 plays, 14 yards, 2:23 (punt)
          5 plays, 12 yards, 2:35 (punt)
          3 plays, 0 yards, :33 (INT)
          5 plays, 27 yards, 1:07 (INT)
          2 plays, 0 yards, :19 (Fumble)
          6 plays, 10 yards, 2:11 (punt)
          3 plays, 9 yards, 1:30 (punt)
          2 plays, 20 yards, :52 (end of game)

I haven't gone back and looked at Western Oregon's play calling, but I bet it is along the same lines

Comment

Agree, we need someone who can come in and spell him a bit but actually be a bit productive as well.

Comment

• Comment

Here's to hoping for a good week! Come by the tailgate and grab some food before the game. Our rig will be in the southwest corner of the alumni association parking lot. Can't miss us

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                  Also, not saying that we need to replace Kyle, just saying that we should see marked improvement with QB play with each year and to my untrained eye, we have not done it.
                  Nothing like being at the field to get a real feel for how the game is going. Not sure if it is the play selection or jus t mental issue but IMO Charlie has shown that at certain points of both games that he can be that guy.

I am not sure that any ASU QB would have look good against ACU but at WOU Charlie had his moments where he looked real good. ASU penalties and place kicking had a lot more to do with keeping WO competitive than QB play.

Did I mention penalties. Thought the officials at Oregon were much better than what we have down here. They actually think it is against the rules for a lineman to go downfield when the QB rolls out. MSU and ENM would have had a heck of a time with that crew. R Winston looked good in his one series against WO.
                  Last edited by AngeloFan; 09-10-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I am with you on that. I was expecting to see Tony Jones a lot more. Perhaps he is still not back to 100%..

The transfer, from FL I think, was supposed to bring speed to the RB position but guess he is hanging out behind the bleachers with the high octane WR transfer that has failed to show up so far.

Comment

ACU game was absolutely worthless in helping to determine where we are in the LSC.

The Piggies basically beat the NC and we play them this week.

Again, I think its the most important game of the season. And the Game of the Week.

Reserve opinions until after 9/15.

Comment

It was a lot of fun reading through this thread seeing the old trash talk and former ACU posters come to the board. The glory days of 5-10 years ago. I was surprised ASU play ACU close given that they played respectable against Baylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                          It was a lot of fun reading through this thread seeing the old trash talk and former ACU posters come to the board. The glory days of 5-10 years ago. I was surprised ASU play ACU close given that they played respectable against Baylor.
                          We just ran out of bodies! Our defense was gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter and in the 4th ACU began to have their way with us. Much like the Baylor had with ACU and the coeds (too soon?)

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                            We just ran out of bodies! Our defense was gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter and in the 4th ACU began to have their way with us. Much like the Baylor had with ACU and the coeds (too soon?)
                            Ohhhhhhhhhhh......Hahahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                              ACU game was absolutely worthless in helping to determine where we are in the LSC.

The Piggies basically beat the NC and we play them this week.

Again, I think its the most important game of the season. And the Game of the Week.

Reserve opinions until after 9/15.
                              https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/basically

Comment

I will say, we did have an excellent experience tailgating up at ACU. The police staff and grounds crew were top notch. They both went out of their way to make sure that we were taken care of and had everything that we would need. The new stadium is very nice and well done. It will be even nicer when the new football facility gets built on the south end of the stadium which will close it in and provide another scoreboard (that is my only knock on the stadium). Not having a track is huge! I hadn't ever been to a lower level college game that didn't have a track around the field so it isn't that big of a deal to me at ASU, but having watched a game from that close, if the funds are available that should always be the course of action! Quality in game stuff to keep your attention but not overpowering. The video board quality is so good that I found myself often watching the plays on there when the action was on the other end of the field.

If it weren't for the rain during tailgate and the outcome, it would have been a perfect day.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X