Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: West Texas @ Angelo State

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
    You got that right. Even when they have good coverage they do not make plays. How the heck di NWMS ever win a NC with this guy as secondary coach.
    I feel ya AF. Makes no sense, but MANY guys that succeed as position coaches or even coordinators fail as HCs. Being THE leader is much different than being "part" of the staff.

Take what the late great Vince Lombardi said (my ABSOLUTE favorite quote):

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing".

Be it a HC, an AD, Univ. Presdent, to an Executive, business owner, manager, whatever.....you either ARE a WINNER or you are NOT. Either you have "IT" or you don't.

You must not only know HOW to win, you must know how to lead and motivate others to win. THAT makes a true winner year in and year out.

Example, albeit not at a college level, I have had ONE losing season in 28+ years of coaching. Be it youth; middle school; high school; or semi-pro. The age group or league never mattered....it is a mindset....my teams WIN. I do EVERYTHING possible to give my players the advantage. From strict leadership & discipline to all the tools that will propel them to be the BEST they CAN be as individuals. Its an all in mindset of THE leader passed to the players. You become their coach for LIFE.....not just a season or a few years. If they believe in you and that you will ALWAYS be their coach and can call upon you ANYTIME, they WILL win for you. GUARANTEED. It has worked for me.

So, like winning, as Lombardi says....LEADING, COACHING, MOTIVATING "is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing".

While Wag is truly a really great guy and a good coach, he doesnt have "IT". Incorporate someone who does into the program, and Wag will succeed under their leadership. Hence why he did so well under Coach T at NW.

Sorry for the long answer, just trying to explain my point better from all my posts.

Comment

All so very true, Pops. Not everyone is wired to be a Winner or Leader. They are the outliers, not the norms.

Comment

Go Buffs!!!

Comment

Comment

No more excuses! Gets old.

"Hey I am a great coach as long as I have a team full of playmakers". LMAO.

Please!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
              I feel ya AF. Makes no sense, but MANY guys that succeed as position coaches or even coordinators fail as HCs. Being THE leader is much different than being "part" of the staff.

Take what the late great Vince Lombardi said (my ABSOLUTE favorite quote):

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing".

Be it a HC, an AD, Univ. Presdent, to an Executive, business owner, manager, whatever.....you either ARE a WINNER or you are NOT. Either you have "IT" or you don't.

You must not only know HOW to win, you must know how to lead and motivate others to win. THAT makes a true winner year in and year out.

Example, albeit not at a college level, I have had ONE losing season in 28+ years of coaching. Be it youth; middle school; high school; or semi-pro. The age group or league never mattered....it is a mindset....my teams WIN. I do EVERYTHING possible to give my players the advantage. From strict leadership & discipline to all the tools that will propel them to be the BEST they CAN be as individuals. Its an all in mindset of THE leader passed to the players. You become their coach for LIFE.....not just a season or a few years. If they believe in you and that you will ALWAYS be their coach and can call upon you ANYTIME, they WILL win for you. GUARANTEED. It has worked for me.

So, like winning, as Lombardi says....LEADING, COACHING, MOTIVATING "is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing".

While Wag is truly a really great guy and a good coach, he doesnt have "IT". Incorporate someone who does into the program, and Wag will succeed under their leadership. Hence why he did so well under Coach T at NW.

Sorry for the long answer, just trying to explain my point better from all my posts.
              I agree with you 1000% Now define "It" I'll bottle it for you and we will both be rich

Comment

One of the unsung heroes of yesterday's victory is our excellent punter, John Cummings. He punted 9 times against Angelo, averaging almost 48 yards per punt. 6 of them were inside the 20. One was stopped at the one, and WT got a safety on the next play. 3 of his punts were over 50 yards; the longest was 61.

Cummings has had no blocks and only 3 touchbacks so far this year on 45 punts. He's a heck of a punter!

Comment

Originally posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
                  I agree with you 1000% Now define "It" I'll bottle it for you and we will both be rich
                  If only!

I actually did define IT.....but thats the issue...IT cant be taught, bought, or sold.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                    One of the unsung heroes of yesterday's victory is our excellent punter, John Cummings. He punted 9 times against Angelo, averaging almost 48 yards per punt. 6 of them were inside the 20. One was stopped at the one, and WT got a safety on the next play. 3 of his punts were over 50 yards; the longest was 61.

Cummings has had no blocks and only 3 touchbacks so far this year on 45 punts. He's a heck of a punter!
                    An AMAZING Punter.

Comment

• Re: West Texas @ Angelo State

Originally posted by TexanFan View Post
                      From what I saw in the two games against these teams, Angelo has more talent and athletes. WT has a better offensive scheme.
                      Our scheme sucks! We have no direction as to what we want to accomplish outside of seeing how many plays we can run.

Comment

I have had some time to set and stew on this loss. After the game, me and some friends were discussing that this is the type of loss that gets you fired. ASU should have won that game. WT is on the rebuild (and doing well might I add) but ASU should have won that game. Our coaching staff was not prepared. We had 2 15 yard penalties on our coaching staff (luckily one of them got called off). We had assistants yelling at the head man, we had redshirts screaming at fans encouraging the fans to come "throw hands", and of all of that the thing that pisses me off the most is that we get the ball back with 1:21 on the clock with one timeout (deep in our territory thanks to their punter) and we take a sack on the first snap and none of the play calling goes near the sidelines. We run middle screens and slants to the inside of the field. How can you be that unprepared for that event? Everyone who has been around football at any sort of competitive level knows that you work the 2 minute drill. I'm not convinced we practice anything. In 8 years, we have hit on exactly 1 QB and that was dumb luck because he was actually the backup until the starter got hurt. This season, we didn't sign a QB at all. Picked up a TT cast away. I haven't seen a staff that is as unprepared for an opponent or has the lack of ability to make adjustments on the fly.

I asked our OC what our offensive philosophy was...the answer was "run as many plays as possible". Not we want to run the football and create this or that, Not we want to spread everyone out and make them cover side line to sideline and hit them with quick passing game to lull them to sleep, or any of the other thousands of options that are offensively philosophies, but simply to run as many plays as possible.

I am at an absolute loss. The alum in me wants to see my university do well, but there is a part of me that wants to see us lose every game remaining on the schedule so that change will happen.
                        On a semi related note, Mike Jinks is suddenly available!

Comment

Win or lose....this is EMBARRASSING for Dr. May.

Pisses me off.
                          Can't like this enough!

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                            ASU needs to fire their webcast director. Showing replays and sideline interviews during live action is unacceptable. Also, give it up with all the sideline cams. It's hard to see what the hell is going on.
                            Agreed the director of this program has lots of TV experience but has zero sports experience. They have media timeouts for a reason. UGH so frustrated with everything related to this program at the moment.

Comment

ASU weakness: DBs

You would think with a former DB as HC that would be the strong point.
                              And coaching! Now I know how WT fans felt with Nesbitt calling plays. Just don't have a clue

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                                I have had some time to set and stew on this loss. After the game, me and some friends were discussing that this is the type of loss that gets you fired. ASU should have won that game. WT is on the rebuild (and doing well might I add) but ASU should have won that game. Our coaching staff was not prepared. We had 2 15 yard penalties on our coaching staff (luckily one of them got called off). We had assistants yelling at the head man, we had redshirts screaming at fans encouraging the fans to come "throw hands", and of all of that the thing that pisses me off the most is that we get the ball back with 1:21 on the clock with one timeout (deep in our territory thanks to their punter) and we take a sack on the first snap and none of the play calling goes near the sidelines. We run middle screens and slants to the inside of the field. How can you be that unprepared for that event? Everyone who has been around football at any sort of competitive level knows that you work the 2 minute drill. I'm not convinced we practice anything. In 8 years, we have hit on exactly 1 QB and that was dumb luck because he was actually the backup until the starter got hurt. This season, we didn't sign a QB at all. Picked up a TT cast away. I haven't seen a staff that is as unprepared for an opponent or has the lack of ability to make adjustments on the fly.

I asked our OC what our offensive philosophy was...the answer was "run as many plays as possible". Not we want to run the football and create this or that, Not we want to spread everyone out and make them cover side line to sideline and hit them with quick passing game to lull them to sleep, or any of the other thousands of options that are offensively philosophies, but simply to run as many plays as possible.

I am at an absolute loss. The alum in me wants to see my university do well, but there is a part of me that wants to see us lose every game remaining on the schedule so that change will happen.
                                On a semi related note, Mike Jinks is suddenly available!
                                When they play eastern that could be a long game for the Ram defense. Then again Easterns secondary couldn't cover grandma so who knows.
                                I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X