Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Texas @ Angelo State

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
    When they play eastern that could be a long game for the Ram defense. Then again Easterns secondary couldn't cover grandma so who knows.
    Our defense isn't the problem. We held one of the best backs in the conference to 60 yards last week and that is with them being on the field for 3/4 of the game almost. The problem is our offense doesn't allow our defense to catch a breath. Yes Eastern will probably put up good numbers and score points, but I think that has more to do with the ineptitude of our offense. We cannot sustain a drive.

I should probably step away from the keyboard for a while though because I haven't been this embarrassed in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
      One of the unsung heroes of yesterday's victory is our excellent punter, John Cummings. He punted 9 times against Angelo, averaging almost 48 yards per punt. 6 of them were inside the 20. One was stopped at the one, and WT got a safety on the next play. 3 of his punts were over 50 yards; the longest was 61.

Cummings has had no blocks and only 3 touchbacks so far this year on 45 punts. He's a heck of a punter!
      If you are going to be punting 9 or more times a game, you better have a really good punter.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
        I have had some time to set and stew on this loss. After the game, me and some friends were discussing that this is the type of loss that gets you fired. ASU should have won that game. WT is on the rebuild (and doing well might I add) but ASU should have won that game. Our coaching staff was not prepared. We had 2 15 yard penalties on our coaching staff (luckily one of them got called off). We had assistants yelling at the head man, we had redshirts screaming at fans encouraging the fans to come "throw hands", and of all of that the thing that pisses me off the most is that we get the ball back with 1:21 on the clock with one timeout (deep in our territory thanks to their punter) and we take a sack on the first snap and none of the play calling goes near the sidelines. We run middle screens and slants to the inside of the field. How can you be that unprepared for that event? Everyone who has been around football at any sort of competitive level knows that you work the 2 minute drill. I'm not convinced we practice anything. In 8 years, we have hit on exactly 1 QB and that was dumb luck because he was actually the backup until the starter got hurt. This season, we didn't sign a QB at all. Picked up a TT cast away. I haven't seen a staff that is as unprepared for an opponent or has the lack of ability to make adjustments on the fly.

I asked our OC what our offensive philosophy was...the answer was "run as many plays as possible". Not we want to run the football and create this or that, Not we want to spread everyone out and make them cover side line to sideline and hit them with quick passing game to lull them to sleep, or any of the other thousands of options that are offensively philosophies, but simply to run as many plays as possible.

I am at an absolute loss. The alum in me wants to see my university do well, but there is a part of me that wants to see us lose every game remaining on the schedule so that change will happen.
        On a semi related note, Mike Jinks is suddenly available!

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
          That is the definition of insanity, isn't it?

Comment

That is the definition of insanity, isn't it?
            You nailed it!!!

Comment

Our defense isn't the problem. We held one of the best backs in the conference to 60 yards last week and that is with them being on the field for 3/4 of the game almost. The problem is our offense doesn't allow our defense to catch a breath. Yes Eastern will probably put up good numbers and score points, but I think that has more to do with the ineptitude of our offense. We cannot sustain a drive.

I should probably step away from the keyboard for a while though because I haven't been this embarrassed in a long time.
              Thats what i was meaning, If Angelo cant keep drives alive their desire to run 90 plays a game is going to gas their defense.

Difference between stopping Easterns run attack and WT is in Easterns you dont always know where it is going, against WT its going to the 1 back in the backfield. Against WT's zone and power run game your d line can focus on engaging the blockers and controling their gap. Against eastern they have to defend their legs and when they come free they have to take the right man or be ready to maintain leverage on the counter.

ASU d line is good enough to do it but if the Offense doesnt score or sustain some momentum the ASU D are going to be the ones gassed from being on the field for 80+ plays.

Add to that when Eastern runs the triple your lbs are having to run sideline to sideline, eventually they get tired.
              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

1000%. Its time to break the paradigm. Time for ASU to be PIONEERS.

They hire coach after coach following the "tradtional standards". Time to break out and be innovative. If not ASU will remain mediocre regardless of the coaching staff in place.

Comment

Well Carthel is an alum, so there you go. Get out the checkbook and hire him away from Commerce :)

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                    Well Carthel is an alum, so there you go. Get out the checkbook and hire him away from Commerce :)
                    I think Colby is right where he belongs.....and will be there a long time.

Interesting....both Colby & Todd applied for ASU HC position during last search.

Comment

I have had some time to set and stew on this loss. After the game, me and some friends were discussing that this is the type of loss that gets you fired. ASU should have won that game. WT is on the rebuild (and doing well might I add) but ASU should have won that game. Our coaching staff was not prepared. We had 2 15 yard penalties on our coaching staff (luckily one of them got called off). We had assistants yelling at the head man, we had redshirts screaming at fans encouraging the fans to come "throw hands", and of all of that the thing that pisses me off the most is that we get the ball back with 1:21 on the clock with one timeout (deep in our territory thanks to their punter) and we take a sack on the first snap and none of the play calling goes near the sidelines. We run middle screens and slants to the inside of the field. How can you be that unprepared for that event? Everyone who has been around football at any sort of competitive level knows that you work the 2 minute drill. I'm not convinced we practice anything. In 8 years, we have hit on exactly 1 QB and that was dumb luck because he was actually the backup until the starter got hurt. This season, we didn't sign a QB at all. Picked up a TT cast away. I haven't seen a staff that is as unprepared for an opponent or has the lack of ability to make adjustments on the fly.

I asked our OC what our offensive philosophy was...the answer was "run as many plays as possible". Not we want to run the football and create this or that, Not we want to spread everyone out and make them cover side line to sideline and hit them with quick passing game to lull them to sleep, or any of the other thousands of options that are offensively philosophies, but simply to run as many plays as possible.

I am at an absolute loss. The alum in me wants to see my university do well, but there is a part of me that wants to see us lose every game remaining on the schedule so that change will happen.
                      On a semi related note, Mike Jinks is suddenly available!
                      I saw that. Who knows how many college football jobs might be available in Texas by then? I can think of a fewschools right off the top of my head. He might want to go back to the high school ranks. Some at Cibilo Steele would love to have him back.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                        I think Colby is right where he belongs.....and will be there a long time.
                        What about Papa Carthel? Is he retired for good this time around?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                          1000%. Its time to break the paradigm. Time for ASU to be PIONEERS.

They hire coach after coach following the "tradtional standards". Time to break out and be innovative. If not ASU will remain mediocre regardless of the coaching staff in place.
                          I like this thinking. Could use a giant dose of it in Kingsville. We have been too damn reactionary for too long!

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                            What about Papa Carthel? Is he retired for good this time around?
                            I think Jimmy Johnson has a better chance at ASU.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                              I like this thinking. Could use a giant dose of it in Kingsville. We have been too damn reactionary for too long!
                              If you want to be a consistent winner you MUST think outside the box.

Comment

If a coaching change is needed to be made it should always be made on a coaches body of work not one season or one game. This is the awful trend in Athletics that dooms programs. I agree Angelo probably should have won this game, but West Texas is 5-2so they aren't a terrible football team. Also the officiating in this game was very one sided toward West Texas. If the officials keep their flags in their pockets Angelo probably would of had this one wrapped up at halftime. There were some legit call on Angelo but several were blatantly bad and they were only blatantly bad against Angelo..... the same call was going as a No Call for West Texas.

With that said in my opinion ASU has consistently underachieved. Even when they were competing for an LSC title with Kyle Washington at QB all they have to show for it is 1 playoff win. I will be the first to say I don't know the situation well enough to know what the resources and expectations are, but everyone seems to believe that Angelo St. has dumped a lot of money into the football program in Wagners tenure which would leave you to believe they wan't more success than what they are currently seeing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X