Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could Tarleton Be Joining Dixie?

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    I mean if you are talking 7-10 years down the line, then yes, strong possiblity.
    Not like conference realignment is going to happen next week. I do think the issues the Big 12 faced recently and in 2010 are going to reappear.

Comment

Originally posted by gruesome View Post
      Pretty much this. Reisman always wanted to be a D1 basketball coach, but the only way that was going to happen is for him to take the entire University D1. Time passed him by there, but it has been vocalized at events, to alumni, and throughout the campus and student media that it is a focus. The task force, consultant group, etc. was all for D1 glory.

To your other point, Dottavio is leaving, and I believe it is in at least some part due to the D1 talk. I also believe there are underlying things that are not and will not be publicly reported (aka rumors). I've said on this board that I think some are growing tired of the D1 talk with no measurable action and desperate pleas to join the likes of the WAC just for the sole sake of being a D1 school. SLC isn't expanding anytime soon and Tarleton isn't getting that invitation until they do.

To another point, Reisman and Dottavio are not exactly best friends. There was certainly some friction between the two and I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the move to D1. It cannot be denied that the $28+ million spent on The Lonn was a major decision based on moving to D1.
      All excellent points. To the bolded point, the Southland chose Corpus and Central Ark over Tarleton in 2004 supposedly because of facilities. Since then the campus master plans have included enhanced facilities and a stated goal of D1. The increased fees and the improvements to the stadium, show that we are willing to put our money where our mouth is. Specifically committing that money to the football stadium over a new arena shows that me (and others) that Tarleton intends to keep football. Likely something the Southland likes to see.

The Southland is based in Dallas, they know who/what Tarleton is, and older news pieces point to the commissioner saying that we would be a good fit for their conference. We've played games against Sam, SFA, Northwestern State, McNeese, and a neutral site game against ACU in Frisco (a few miles from the SLC headquarters).
      With that said, the commissioner serves at the whim of the university presidents and who knows where we sit with them. Reading on AnyGivenSaturday (the FCS board) The league's perception took a hit with the recent D2 move ups. The Eastern schools may not want another Texas school. The Texas Schools may see themselves better than Tarleton.

Dottavio talks about potential D1 move in this piece from a year ago. It didn't age well since he adamantly denies retirement
      http://texannews.net/dl-study-points...vio-stays-put/
      Tarleton State Texan
      Texas State Bobcat

Comment

Originally posted by chrisattsu View Post
        All excellent points. To the bolded point, the Southland chose Corpus and Central Ark over Tarleton in 2004 supposedly because of facilities. Since then the campus master plans have included enhanced facilities and a stated goal of D1. The increased fees and the improvements to the stadium, show that we are willing to put our money where our mouth is. Specifically committing that money to the football stadium over a new arena shows that me (and others) that Tarleton intends to keep football. Likely something the Southland likes to see.

The Southland is based in Dallas, they know who/what Tarleton is, and older news pieces point to the commissioner saying that we would be a good fit for their conference. We've played games against Sam, SFA, Northwestern State, McNeese, and a neutral site game against ACU in Frisco (a few miles from the SLC headquarters).
        With that said, the commissioner serves at the whim of the university presidents and who knows where we sit with them. Reading on AnyGivenSaturday (the FCS board) The league's perception took a hit with the recent D2 move ups. The Eastern schools may not want another Texas school. The Texas Schools may see themselves better than Tarleton.

Dottavio talks about potential D1 move in this piece from a year ago. It didn't age well since he adamantly denies retirement
        http://texannews.net/dl-study-points...vio-stays-put/
        Tarleton, with continued facilities improvements, would certainly be the logical choice for the Southland's next round of expansion. As many have said on this forum, Stephenville (with the addition of the Fort Worth campus) would give the SLC a DFW presence that was lost with UTA (if anything was really lost there at all). Dottavio played it well during his tenure here tempering Reisman who would have jumped at the first D1 offer just for his own sake.

From a facilities standpoint, there is still a great deal of work to do to get the rest of the facilities, sans The Lonn and Wisdom, up to D1 standards. Wisdom isn't bad but won't be the shining star of the SLC, Cecil Ballew would easily be one of if not the worst baseball stadium in the conference, and the softball stadium would need some upgrades to increase capacity at the very least. I know those things are in the 2020 plan, but they're still a long ways off in terms of funding. The AD put all of its money for the last 10 years into Wisdom upgrades and all of Mike Myers' money into The Lonn. The result is success on the basketball court, volleyball court, and football field and mediocrity in softball, baseball, track and field, tennis, and golf (with the loss of Jerry Don Doyle). (Doyle's tenure as golf coach will likely be unrivaled to any of his future successors.)

Conger, Doyle, Ponder, and Lance Drake were/are, in my opinion, exceptional coaches to be able to succeed where and how they did with the budgets they've had. Imagine if Conger's squad would have had twice the budget it did and the same with the other guys!

All of that to say, I think Dottavio likely saw that building on the education side would bring in more students, increase the AD's coffers, and give the university a greater opportunity to move to D1 within a decade. Unfortunately, that is far beyond Reisman's timeline. He wants a D1 athletic program yesterday. If TSU had been where they are now 10 years ago when the SLC was courting UIW, ACU, HBU, etc. then Tarleton would likely be competing regularly in the SLC today. The cards didn't fall right, and that's where the university remains. D1 will happen because the AD wants it to happen, but a lot of the timing may very well depend on his new boss.

Comment

Tarleton, with continued facilities improvements, would certainly be the logical choice for the Southland's next round of expansion. As many have said on this forum, Stephenville (with the addition of the Fort Worth campus) would give the SLC a DFW presence that was lost with UTA (if anything was really lost there at all). Dottavio played it well during his tenure here tempering Reisman who would have jumped at the first D1 offer just for his own sake.

From a facilities standpoint, there is still a great deal of work to do to get the rest of the facilities, sans The Lonn and Wisdom, up to D1 standards. Wisdom isn't bad but won't be the shining star of the SLC, Cecil Ballew would easily be one of if not the worst baseball stadium in the conference, and the softball stadium would need some upgrades to increase capacity at the very least. I know those things are in the 2020 plan, but they're still a long ways off in terms of funding. The AD put all of its money for the last 10 years into Wisdom upgrades and all of Mike Myers' money into The Lonn. The result is success on the basketball court, volleyball court, and football field and mediocrity in softball, baseball, track and field, tennis, and golf (with the loss of Jerry Don Doyle). (Doyle's tenure as golf coach will likely be unrivaled to any of his future successors.)

Conger, Doyle, Ponder, and Lance Drake were/are, in my opinion, exceptional coaches to be able to succeed where and how they did with the budgets they've had. Imagine if Conger's squad would have had twice the budget it did and the same with the other guys!

All of that to say, I think Dottavio likely saw that building on the education side would bring in more students, increase the AD's coffers, and give the university a greater opportunity to move to D1 within a decade. Unfortunately, that is far beyond Reisman's timeline. He wants a D1 athletic program yesterday. If TSU had been where they are now 10 years ago when the SLC was courting UIW, ACU, HBU, etc. then Tarleton would likely be competing regularly in the SLC today. The cards didn't fall right, and that's where the university remains. D1 will happen because the AD wants it to happen, but a lot of the timing may very well depend on his new boss.
          If Reisman truly would jump at any D1 offer still, he's a dang shortsighted fool and I'm concerned about the future of Tarleton athletics

Comment

Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post
            If Reisman truly would jump at any D1 offer still, he's a dang shortsighted fool and I'm concerned about the future of Tarleton athletics
            Accurate description!

Comment

Accurate description!
              I thought so. A D1 move must be carefully thought out. Don't just jump at the first offer, that's how you wind up in the WAC without a home for football.

Comment

Josh Criswell published this for the Huntsville Item after the SLC Media Day: https://www.itemonline.com/sports/co...466c83322.html Looks like the SLC isn't interested in expanding any time soon. No surprise there.

Comment

Josh Criswell published this for the Huntsville Item after the SLC Media Day: https://www.itemonline.com/sports/co...466c83322.html Looks like the SLC isn't interested in expanding any time soon. No surprise there.
                  As I already stated. *door closed*

Next topic.

Comment

Translation: "We aren't interested in expanding until we are, and we won't expand until we do."

Comment

In other news, Texas Summers are hot and water is wet

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                        Translation: "We aren't interested in expanding until we are, and we won't expand until we do."
                        Tarleton State Texan
                        Texas State Bobcat

Comment

Guys do this all the time.....
                          Right now Tarleton is the chubby pretty faced girl that gets booty called at 2am after the dudee strike out at the club with the really hot chicks.
                          I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                            Guys do this all the time.....
                            Right now Tarleton is the chubby pretty faced girl that gets booty called at 2am after the dudee strike out at the club with the really hot chicks.
                            Remember Boohaha we are talking about the Southland Conference. Not exactly the stud in D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                              Remember Boohaha we are talking about the Southland Conference. Not exactly the stud in D1.
                              Yeah but this is Tarletons crush man. I mean the WAC is ok but there's a reason they're always dining alone.

Comment

You are spot on in your assessment of the secondary sports at Tarleton. Recent history shows that the AD is NOT looking for qualified candidates with experience that may require a larger salary. It appears to me lets see who I can get and cut costs at the same time.

Baseball hires an assistant. Softball hires assistant at Tarleton. Golf hires an assistant at Tarleton. Tennis hires an assistant at Tarleton. If I was a qualified coach in these sports why would even bother putting in my resume there.

So, I'm left with giving the AD a C- as far as overall performance even though FB VB and BB are competitive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X