Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. A number of them did and never came back. A few with fat checking accounts who have probably passed on who might have left some legacy money behind too for both the academic and athletic programs.

I think we are stuck in the early 2ks when the last elements of the Harms/Cundiff era both in the form of coaches and players left the program as they graduated or moved on to other jobs.

People back then were warning our administration to prepare for the future because the new powers in LSC were making their moves and the advice was ignored. But the common thing that was repeated is our history would get us through dips like it did before. It might have before facilities and bling became a major selling point for an athletic program.

We have an enrollment getting close to the 10k mark. There is absolutely no reason to delay what needs to be done.

And yes Tarleton and Midwestern could of dumped 84 on us this year. They must of felt sorry for us.

Comment

Re: TAMUK- Where do we go from here?

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
      If the pay is good and the conditions are ideal, then why not? It could possibly be a faster track to build up the resume for a big and better gig at the FCS level either as a coordinator or HC at a lower level FCS school.

You all have a more ideal situation vs what we have down here at TAMUK for such an individual if you were in the coaching market. You all dropped off, but not down to bottomless hole depth like we have. Plus you got the stadium project rocking and rolling and any coach looking for a job worth his pay would love to be in that situation.
      I just dont see it. How often do you see a HC at the D2 level make the jump to HC at the FCS level? Not very often... It's like any level of football. You coach A-AAAA football, you are labeled as a small school HS football coach. Hard to break out of that mold. You coach D2 or D3 football. You are labeled as a small school college football coach.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
        I just dont see it. How often do you see a HC at the D2 level make the jump to HC at the FCS level? Not very often... It's like any level of football. You coach A-AAAA football, you are labeled as a small school HS football coach. Hard to break out of that mold. You coach D2 or D3 football. You are labeled as a small school college football coach.
        Not everyday, but it does happen. In my posting I meant to say from D2 to the FBS level as a coordinator or HC at an FCS (D1-AA) school.

We seen a number as finallist over the years, but never given the keys to a FCS school. I think Don was a finallist at some FCS school while he was WTAM if I recall. The legendary Mel T from NWMSU was a finalist at Texas State back a few years ago. I think it was Texas State?

Comment

Not everyday, but it does happen. In my posting I meant to say from D2 to the FBS level as a coordinator or HC at an FCS (D1-AA) school.

We seen a number as finallist over the years, but never given the keys to a FCS school. I think Don was a finallist at some FCS school while he was WTAM if I recall. The legendary Mel T from NWMSU was a finalist at Texas State back a few years ago. I think it was Texas State?

Comment

a few others, I am sure there are more.

Willie Fritz from Central Missouri to Sam Houston.
            Todd Whitten from Tarleton to Sam Houston also, but he had been the OC there before re-joining Tarleton for the first time.
            Chris Hatcher from Valdosta State to Georgia Southern.
            Dale Lennon from North Dakota (when they were D2) to Southern Illinois.
            Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Here we are at the same spot we've pretty much been in for the balance of this decade turning in equipment after another letdown of a season. We are damn lucky we are not a one win team as we tried hard to give away three of the four wins. Questions have to be asked and answered. And they have to be answered soon.

We have a new AD and soon to be installed new President. Both come from backgrounds where football is a key part of their athletic programs. I've always held out for hope, but I find myself at a point where I want to just throw in the towel on the whole thing and not spend anymore time and effort trying to save a sinking ship. I take that back, the ship is sunk. So it becomes a question if the wreckage can be salvaged and brought back to life. Evidence suggests we are not at this point because one can look at the lip service the program got the past few years and the lack of a meaningful statement from the current leadership that this is unacceptable. My gosh look at the attendance for one were we averaged maybe 3,500 to 4,000 this year and a decade ago, that would of never been even thought of. Even in bad weather we'd have half the stadium full. Shouldn't that be enough visible evidence that something stinks?

I don't know if a wholesale replacement of the coaching staff is in order? I think Coach Wilk has a good football mind. I do think we need to refocus where we recruit and put more emphasis towards the Houston areas and the JUCO's. In other words, skip trying to take in All District players from the Corpus region and RGV players because you are not getting the best bang for the scholarship bucks. And it pains me to say that as a resident of the Corpus area and native of the RGV, but it's just a fact the talent pools are much, much, deeper elsewhere. We need people on our recruiting staff who REALLY know Texas and that is the danger when you bring in coaches from outside the state who are unfamiliar with the terrain and don't get off on the right foot in this critical part of the college football business in Texas.

The other thing that has to immediately get put in motion is the grand plans for our athletic facilities. I know other Javelina fans on here have suggested plans are in the works, but they can't be disclosed at this time. I think whomever is in charge of this needs to realize we are at a "break the glass and sound the alarm" moment here and the cat needs to be let out of the bag. Folks, we have kids that we are trying to recruit from 4A to 6A schools who have better high school athletic facilities than we do. This makes recruiting so much harder already and then you throw in just about every other D2 and above school in this state who have done or doing something about their athethic facilities, and Houston....... we have a HUGE Problem. And those who have already improved their facilities to today's standards and market demands are already planning for the next phase and you can bet your bottom dollar on that. We need to put the same emphasis in improving our athletic facilites as we have on many of our academic facilities which overall are on par or better with other comparable schools.

Like I said, I'm to the point where I want to say the heck with it and move on. It's been hard to see this program crash the way it has and nothing in sight to suggest a plan is place to reverse course.
              I hear your frustration. And in all honesty, you should be frustrated.

I get exactly what you are saying. And this is TEXAS!!! Football reins supreme in TEXAS, above each and every other sport. No one really cares about your baseball, basketball, volleyball, apple dunking, or any other sports team. If its TEXAS, its FOOTBALL. Heck....its even nationwide.....EVERYONE knows Alabama, Penn, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc....(fill in the school) because of FOOTBALL, not wrestling, shot put, or water polo.

I am afraid that until you new admin takes hold nothing will change. Also not sure if you have the right coaching staff.

100% with you on recruiting.

As far as facilities....you do need to "keep it fresh". I am not sure you need a WT stadium to win, but updating and constant improvement keeps the excitement up.

As far as attendance.....I was in Commerce Saturday. If you take away students and the band, I am not sure you had 1,000 people on the home side (I was on home side for 1st, 3rd, and 4th qtr). It felt like more until I went to the visitor side and saw all the empty seats. I am NOT KNOCKING TAMUC..... EVERYONE is suffering in attendance, even the 2017 NC who ARE winning and heading to the PO.

This entire chapter to say you are not as far behind as you think. If new admin gets behind football, you guys can be back competing for the top in a few years.

Hang in there brother!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
                Why would a DC from an FCS conference champion go back down to D2? Makes no sense....
                Exactly.

Some people have the RIGHT SOUNDING answers....problem is the answers they give are not reality.

I can solve US National Debt in one day. Borrow every last dime, pay off the National Debt, then file national bankruptcy the next day. SOLVED. Man am I a genius or what!!!

To fix TAMUK, just hire Joe Lombardi (Vince's grandson) away from New Orleans.....he will get EVERY blue chip recruit in Texas.....he will draw the biggest crowd....and he will get $$ pouring in. SOLVED. Oh and if Joe is not available, drive to Houston, get on 10 to 12 split....drive east to 59 then go north until you hit 20 east. Take to 359 north. Then exit 215, turn right (east). Turn left (north) on Hackenberry. Then hire Nick Saban. He should do fine recruiting in Texas, be able to turn the Hoggies around. SOLVED. BOOM. I am a Mensa mind-blower!

Remember "I pointed out" the solutions. Everything can be solved, "like I said".

Hahaha ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                  I hear your frustration. And in all honesty, you should be frustrated.

I get exactly what you are saying. And this is TEXAS!!! Football reins supreme in TEXAS, above each and every other sport. No one really cares about your baseball, basketball, volleyball, apple dunking, or any other sports team. If its TEXAS, its FOOTBALL. Heck....its even nationwide.....EVERYONE knows Alabama, Penn, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc....(fill in the school) because of FOOTBALL, not wrestling, shot put, or water polo.

I am afraid that until you new admin takes hold nothing will change. Also not sure if you have the right coaching staff.

100% with you on recruiting.

As far as facilities....you do need to "keep it fresh". I am not sure you need a WT stadium to win, but updating and constant improvement keeps the excitement up.

As far as attendance.....I was in Commerce Saturday. If you take away students and the band, I am not sure you had 1,000 people on the home side (I was on home side for 1st, 3rd, and 4th qtr). It felt like more until I went to the visitor side and saw all the empty seats. I am NOT KNOCKING TAMUC..... EVERYONE is suffering in attendance, even the 2017 NC who ARE winning and heading to the PO.

This entire chapter to say you are not as far behind as you think. If new admin gets behind football, you guys can be back competing for the top in a few years.

Hang in there brother!!!
                  I think Javelina Stadium needs some significant upgrades in the form of a new Press Box, a total replacement of the west grandstand and other fan amenities like concession and common areas, maybe some suites. You are correct, that doesn't require a brand new facility. The east side is a solid concrete structure and can be completely refurbished. The west stand is a steel/aluminum structure that needs to be replaced. In fact since it's technically the home side because it's the Javs side of the stadium. The Press Box and goodies for the home fans along with some of the reserved seating needs to be moved to that side of the stadium.

We do need a new football complex like facility with lockers, weight and training rooms, offices, meeting/film rooms etc. That's the "bling" that gets much of the attention from potential recruits. Some space could be used also for other outdoor sports like T&F and baseball in this complex.

The whole athletic program could us a large multipurpose indoor practice facility for football,baseball and softball practices during inclement weather and it could also be utilized for indoor track.

All of these are what I would call immediate needs.

Further down the road we will need to replace the Gym/Field house or what we know as the SPEC to something that is more arena like in scale for a school our size vs the high school gym feel it has now.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                    Exactly.

Some people have the RIGHT SOUNDING answers....problem is the answers they give are not reality.

I can solve US National Debt in one day. Borrow every last dime, pay off the National Debt, then file national bankruptcy the next day. SOLVED. Man am I a genius or what!!!

To fix TAMUK, just hire Joe Lombardi (Vince's grandson) away from New Orleans.....he will get EVERY blue chip recruit in Texas.....he will draw the biggest crowd....and he will get $$ pouring in. SOLVED. Oh and if Joe is not available, drive to Houston, get on 10 to 12 split....drive east to 59 then go north until you hit 20 east. Take to 359 north. Then exit 215, turn right (east). Turn left (north) on Hackenberry. Then hire Nick Saban. He should do fine recruiting in Texas, be able to turn the Hoggies around. SOLVED. BOOM. I am a Mensa mind-blower!

Remember "I pointed out" the solutions. Everything can be solved, "like I said".

Hahaha ;)
                    Well thanks.

Can you order me a #1 from Whataburger while you are at. Cheese please. :laugh:

Comment

Well thanks.

Can you order me a #1 from Whataburger while you are at. Cheese please. :laugh:
                      Hahahahaha

Comment

Is Wilkinson going to be fired?

He'd be a good OC for WT.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                          Is Wilkinson going to be fired?

He'd be a good OC for WT.
                          All is quiet down this way. Either calm before the storm or nothing is planned.

Comment

All is quiet down this way. Either calm before the storm or nothing is planned.
                            TAMUK has had four coaches since 2000. I think this somewhat revolving door has hurt the program. It looks like the trigger is pulled too soon. Atterberry got the Hogs into the playoffs in successive years. Two years later he was canned. Did he suddenly get "not smart"? I am not advocating for Atterberry, but it just seemed like it was too quick. I think the Hogs lost some momentum after that and are still paying the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                              TAMUK has had four coaches since 2000. I think this somewhat revolving door has hurt the program. It looks like the trigger is pulled too soon. Atterberry got the Hogs into the playoffs in successive years. Two years later he was canned. Did he suddenly get "not smart"? I am not advocating for Atterberry, but it just seemed like it was too quick. I think the Hogs lost some momentum after that and are still paying the price.
                              Cundiff left in 2006 on his own. He was darn good coach, but it's a long story why he left. None of it had to do with his ability to coach.

And his boss then hired Ken Baxter who was the coach at Southeastern Oklahoma who's family wanted to move back to Okieland and he didn't coach anything but the Spring Game. Atterberry took over for him and did a good job.

He left in 2012 abruptly and was replaced by Calloway who only lasted a season and a half. Atterberry wasn't fired and it came to a surprise to many of us. Most of this time frame was occupied by an AD who really didn't have to the short, medium and long term interests of the football program at heart.

Coach Wilk is a good football coach and individual. Like I've said a few times, if he were to get all of the tools he needs and maybe tweaks his recruiting strategy thanks to having those tools available , he could turn this thing around. I really hope our new AD and President bring a much different approach to want has become the norm. But I am not holding my breath.

Comment

Cundiff left in 2006 on his own. He was darn good coach, but it's a long story why he left. None of it had to do with his ability to coach.

And his boss then hired Ken Baxter who was the coach at Southeastern Oklahoma who's family wanted to move back to Okieland and he didn't coach anything but the Spring Game. Atterberry took over for him and did a good job.

He left in 2012 abruptly and was replaced by Calloway who only lasted a season and a half. Atterberry wasn't fired and it came to a surprise to many of us. Most of this time frame was occupied by an AD who really didn't have to the short, medium and long term interests of the football program at heart.

Coach Wilk is a good football coach and individual. Like I've said a few times, if he were to get all of the tools he needs and maybe tweaks his recruiting strategy thanks to having those tools available , he could turn this thing around. I really hope our new AD and President bring a much different approach to want has become the norm. But I am not holding my breath.
                                Thanks for the further edification.

My larger point is that the turnover, however it happened, has led to the situation today. Wilkinson is a good coach. He knows what he needs to do, and I am sure he will plan for that change.

Get the right coach, and practice continuity.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X