Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post

There are no guarantees, but most likely WT wins the game if they don't take that TD off the board with 30 seconds left. Ridiculous call but it is what it is. I agree on Hughes, one thing I have always appreciated about him is he owns the losses and doesn't look for an out.
    A couple of problems with this:

1. The TD that was taken off with an ineligible lineman downfield was not with 30 seconds left in the game, it was at the around the 4:00 minute mark. That was the first missed FG. The missed FG with 30 seconds left was after being stopped twice from the ASU 5 yard line. No penalties on those plays.

2. I watched the game film on Sunday, and on the ineligible downfield from the ASU 9 yard line there were literally two WT interior lineman that were standing beside the Umpire at the 3 yard line when the ball was thrown; which is 6 yards downfield (the NCAA rule says three yards is max). In their defense, they rode their blocks on the D-Line down there, but they have to realize where the line is and disengage those blocks. After the ball was thrown, one of the lineman even looks around and realizes this and starts to run back to the line of scrimmage. His movement probably caused the Umpire to realize what had happened and throw the flag. Maybe the Umpire is not supposed to throw that flag, but with the two linemen clearly downfield it was the right call.

You also have to remember that ASU had a TD called back for a penalty as well with about 5 minutes to go in the first half. That forced the FG instead of the TD.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

A couple of problems with this:

1. The TD that was taken off with an ineligible lineman downfield was not with 30 seconds left in the game, it was at the around the 4:00 minute mark. That was the first missed FG. The missed FG with 30 seconds left was after being stopped twice from the ASU 5 yard line. No penalties on those plays.

2. I watched the game film on Sunday, and on the ineligible downfield from the ASU 9 yard line there were literally two WT interior lineman that were standing beside the Umpire at the 3 yard line when the ball was thrown; which is 6 yards downfield (the NCAA rule says three yards is max). In their defense, they rode their blocks on the D-Line down there, but they have to realize where the line is and disengage those blocks. After the ball was thrown, one of the lineman even looks around and realizes this and starts to run back to the line of scrimmage. His movement probably caused the Umpire to realize what had happened and throw the flag. Maybe the Umpire is not supposed to throw that flag, but with the two linemen clearly downfield it was the right call.

You also have to remember that ASU had a TD called back for a penalty as well with about 5 minutes to go in the first half. That forced the FG instead of the TD.
      Not correct - the play in question was our last offensive play of the game prior to the 2nd missed FG. ASU took over & game ended. I also watched that clip at least 20 times looking at a different aspect each time. At the exact moment of the pass release (slo-mo) #75 is backside of the 6 yd line, and he continues to the 1 yd line. By rule he may not go more than 3 yards beyond the "neutral zone" prior to the release of a forward pass. The Umpire was not looking at him at this point - I watched this guy frame by frame, his first look was to his left at the ASU players moving hard in that direction, then looked to the middle & on to his right where he saw #75 at the 4-5yd line, but the ball is still visible in the air well past #75. There is no way that the Umpire could have seen the pass release & position spot that player simultaneously. So said the league.

Don't remember the ASU TD/penalty, but it and this particular WT play along with 2 missed FG, etc. etc. are all among the what if's and should have's. WT is 5-2 and ASU is 6-1 but to evaluate that within the LSC there is a great difference in these teams is a mystery to me, but I've only seen ONE game for ASU. I have seen most of the WT games under Hughes & like the direction WT is headed - surely not fast enough for some fans, but I tend to look at longer terms - the quick "fix" cost us 6 years.
      Last edited by ras619; 10-26-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
        I miss both bands making the trip too
        Both bands at Buffalo Stadium next year would be a nice touch - the feel of that place & sound effects there are great.

Comment

Originally posted by ras619 View Post

Both bands at Buffalo Stadium next year would be a nice touch - the feel of that place & sound effects there are great.
          Hoping for a good game, we(hs team) had a bye week this week so Im yearning for some good football.

I Don't want WT to suck, quite the opposite i want to see my Hounds win because they are better not because the other team is not good. Here is to minimal injuries and a good game!!
          I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Not correct - the play in question was our last offensive play prior to the 2nd missed FG. ASU took over & game ended. I also watched that clip at least 20 times looking at a different aspect each time. At the exact moment of the pass release (slo-mo) #75 is backside of the 6 yd line, and he continues to the 1 yd line. By rule he may not go more than 3 yards beyond the "neutral zone" prior to the release of a forward pass. The Umpire was not looking at him at this point - I watched this guy frame by frame, his first look was to his left at the ASU players moving hard in that direction, then looked to the middle & on to his right where he saw #75 at the 4-5yd line, but the ball is still visible in the air well past #75. There is no way that the Umpire could have seen the pass release & position spot that player simultaneously. So said the league.

Don't remember the ASU TD/penalty, but it and this particular WT play along with 2 missed FG, etc. etc. are all among the what if's and should have's. WT is 5-2 and ASU is 6-1 but to evaluate that within the LSC there is a great difference is a mystery to me, but I've only seen ONE game for ASU. I have seen most of the WT games under Hughes & like the direction WT is headed - surely not fast enough for some fans, but I tend to look at longer terms - the quick "fix" cost us 6 years.
            I watched the play numerous times as well on the game film and there are two lineman standing on the large hash mark in the middle of the field at the three yard line when the ball is released.

As for when it occurred, it was not on the last series. It was on the next to the last series.

Look at the BOX Score "Play by Play" at this link https://gobuffsgo.com/boxscore.aspx?...otball&id=6678. You will see it is in the next to last drive. It is incorrectly described as an "Illegal Touching" penalty that occurred at 5:39. Here is the play sequence for the last three plays from the box score on the next to the last WT possession:

rd and 8 at ASU09 Nick Gerber pass complete to Jamaal Hamilton for 9 yards to the ASU0, clock 05:39, PENALTY WT illegal touching 6 yards to the ASU15, NO PLAY.
            3rd and 14 at ASU15 Nick Gerber pass incomplete to Jamaal Hamilton, QB hurry by G'Karri McCoy.
            4th and 14 at ASU15 M. Gonzalez field goal attempt from 31 MISSED - wide right, spot at ASU20, clock 05:26.

Besides, why would WT, with their documented kicking woes and using the punter to try this second kick, choose to kick the FG immediately after the penalty since they would have received another third down chance if ASU accepted the penalty? Look at the play sequence from the box score on the last sequence. You can see there are no penalties.

Here is the play sequence on the last drive (no penalties on this drive):
            1st and 10 at WT39 WEST TEXAS A&M drive start at 03:59.
            1st and 10 at WT39 Duke Carter IV rush for 3 yards to the WT42 (Andy Becker).
            2nd and 7 at WT42 Nick Gerber pass complete to Juwan McCall for 6 yards to the WT48 (Devin Washinton).
            3rd and 1 at WT48 Timeout West Texas A&M, clock 02:57.
            3rd and 1 at WT48 Jordan Johnson rush for no gain to the WT48 (Weston Bauer).
            4th and 1 at WT48 Jordan Johnson rush for 3 yards to the ASU49, 1ST DOWN WT (Hunter Kyle;Duran Miller).
            1st and 10 at ASU49 Nick Gerber pass incomplete to Juwan McCall (Devin Washinton).
            2nd and 10 at ASU49 Nick Gerber pass complete to Stephens-Pepper for 5 yards to the ASU44 (Simon Maxey;Darrick Dickers).
            3rd and 5 at ASU44 Duke Carter IV rush for 2 yards to the ASU42 (Hunter Kyle).
            4th and 3 at ASU42 Nick Gerber pass complete to Semaj Mitchell for 8 yards to the ASU34, 1ST DOWN WT (DeShaun Douglas).
            1st and 10 at ASU34 Nick Gerber pass complete to Stephens-Pepper for 17 yards to the ASU17, 1ST DOWN WT (Jac Yoruw).
            1st and 10 at ASU17 Nick Gerber pass complete to Semaj Mitchell for 12 yards to the ASU5, 1ST DOWN WT (Andy Becker).
            1st and GOAL at ASU05 Nick Gerber pass incomplete.
            2nd and GOAL at ASU05 Timeout Angelo State, clock 00:31.
            2nd and GOAL at ASU05 Nick Gerber pass incomplete to Semaj Mitchell, QB hurry by Dagen Dunham.
            3rd and GOAL at ASU05 Nick Gerber pass incomplete to Semaj Mitchell (DeShaun Douglas).
            4th and GOAL at ASU05 Aaron Coash field goal attempt from 22 MISSED - wide right, spot at WT20, clock 00:15.
            Last edited by texcap; 10-26-2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I have seen most of the WT games under Hughes & like the direction WT is headed - surely not fast enough for some fans, but I tend to look at longer terms - the quick "fix" cost us 6 years.
              Despite the disagreement on when and the actual play, I do agree with this that Hughes has WT heading in the right direction.

Comment

Ras - Angelo fans were called "whiny, lil cry babies" when they used to complain about not being able to win close games. ....and put blame on everything BUT being able to WIN the close games.

So, I guess WT fans have earned the right to be "whiny, lil cry babies" now.

Good luck today.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

Despite the disagreement on when and the actual play, I do agree with this that Hughes has WT heading in the right direction.
                  No "disagreement". There is RIGHT and WRONG. You are RIGHT.

NEXT.......

Comment

buffs capatilize on a no call on being offsides, they draw first blood....7-0 buffs.

Comment

Special ed teams are back on the field buffs recover hounds fumble on Ko ugh.

Comment

14-0 buffs 8:22 to go.....ENMU IS A CHEAP HOOKER TO THIS POINT!!!! GRRRRR!

Comment

WOW, the Hounds are being generous. Our kicker actually made the extra point after a holding call.

Gerber is doing a good job passing and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                            14-0 buffs 8:22 to go.....ENMU IS A CHEAP HOOKER TO THIS POINT!!!! GRRRRR!
                            Wow WT season high 14 points in 1st quarter. They impressed me by almost beating ASU.

Boohaha, if Hounds lose this one you can kiss playoffs goodbye.

Comment

hounds look like crap....be lucky to finish 6-5

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Wow WT season high 14 points in 1st quarter. They impressed me by almost beating ASU.

Boohaha, if Hounds lose this one you can kiss playoffs goodbye.
                                yep

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X