• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High School State Champion?

[QUOTE=BuffaloChip;2330205]
    Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
    As in the world famous Mexican Buffets?

Now that place had a purpose when I was in high school. Medicore food, but it was affordable and you got enough quantity for sure and a couple trips to the bathroom when you got home where you could read the entire newpaper twice! :smile-big:[/QUOTE

I can remember eating at Pancho's Buffet when my dad was stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso, circa, 1961-62. It was a revelation to an 8 year old kid whose mom could cook frozen fish sticks and hot dogs but not much else!

Funny, what you remember years and years later. I remember most every Sunday afternoon. We'd (my parents, little sis, and I) drive across to Juarez and pick up a wooden crate of bottled Cokes and stop at a roadside stand where we'd buy fresh-made tamales. Here it is 58 years later and I've yet to find a tamale that compared to those. They had the finest blend of spicy-hot shredded pork you could imagine. 58 years ago and I still lust after those tamales!
    Good stuff, BC. I can relate growing up in the RGV as far as trying to find the real deal in regards to Mexican food in another part of the state. There are only a small handful of places here in the Coastal Bend which I can find what is genuine Tex Mex or what have you. Austin probably has more choice to get it than here.

BTW. If you want some good Tamales, there is a place in the RGV who might be that find for you and they ship nation wide. Too late for Christmas, but give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

https://deliastamales.com

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
      If you are in Corpus and not eating seafood, you are doing it wrong.
      Last edited by Techster88; 12-15-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=LSC Fan;2330298]
        Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Good stuff, BC. I can relate growing up in the RGV as far as trying to find the real deal in regards to Mexican food in another part of the state. There are only a small handful of places here in the Coastal Bend which I can find what is genuine Tex Mex or what have you. Austin probably has more choice to get it than here.

BTW. If you want some good Tamales, there is a place in the RGV who might be that find for you and they ship nation wide. Too late for Christmas, but give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Meanwhile I'm in the middle of nowhere. At least the BBQ is good.

Comment

Kikos and Dos Comales are pretty darn good. There is also a local chain if you will called La Playa and depending on the location, it fills the need.

Seafood... Water Street, Doc's on the Island, Railroad Station. Rockport up the coast has some good places too. Now if you want to get you want to take a road trip from Corpus and get some good stuff and quantity, the Kings Inn which is south of Kingsville on Baffin Bay is legendary. It's a drive but worth it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vulpes88;2330307]

Pinkerton bbq in Houston is pretty awesome.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vulpes88;2330307]

Where is that at? My goal is to take a BBQ road trip here one day. So spill the beans.

Comment

[QUOTE=LSC Fan;2330311]
                Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

Where is that at? My goal is to take a BBQ road trip here one day. So spill the beans.
                Well I'm biased on BBQ. Restaurant style always comes in overrated. However, imho the best BBQ in Albany is Wounded Owl.

Comment

[QUOTE=Techster88;2330309]

Pinkerton bbq in Houston is pretty awesome.
                  When I get enough courage to drive in Houston, I'll remember that. Also an excuse to make that trip

Comment

Well I'm biased on BBQ. Restaurant style always comes in overrated. However, imho the best BBQ in Albany is Wounded Owl.

Yes! The hole in the wall places are the best. You know the ones that have decades of smoke on the walls!

Comment

Yes! The hole in the wall places are the best. You know the ones that have decades of smoke on the walls!
                      Well it's a food truck but yeah, started out as a hole in the wall.

Comment

[QUOTE=LSC Fan;2330298]
                        Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

7 or 8 years ago, we bought several dozen tamales online from a vendor in the Valley. They were pretty good, red chile pork, green chile chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                          New mexican is where its at! Chile not chili!
                          Without doubt. Good NM food is the best. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Espanola, Las Cruces, all have unbelievable great NM style restaurants. You can't beat a great flavorful medium/hot NM green chile based sauce. I also love great carne adovada. My son buys his chile thru the reliable Chile Connection in Santa Fe. He makes a fantastic carne adovada.

In fact we're doing a NM Christmas dinner this year. Carne adovada, green chile chicken enchiladas, spicy red chile pork tamales, posole, roasted corn, NM style green chile potatoes au gratin, fruit empanadas, refritos, freshmade thick flour tortillas right off of our cast iron platter, big thick fluffy sopapillas with honey for dessert, and several sublime salsas. Margaritas, cerveza! Mmmm!

The great thing is that much of this can easily be prepared a day or two ahead of time.
                          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-15-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

TOO funny.

One of the best Tex Mex I had in my life is a place called El Rio Grande on E. 38th in Manhattan. Thats a little north & east of North Texas.

Comment

Kikos and Dos Comales are pretty darn good. There is also a local chain if you will called La Playa and depending on the location, it fills the need.

Seafood... Water Street, Doc's on the Island, Railroad Station. Rockport up the coast has some good places too. Now if you want to get you want to take a road trip from Corpus and get some good stuff and quantity, the Kings Inn which is south of Kingsville on Baffin Bay is legendary. It's a drive but worth it.

Comment

I'm surprised about Dos Comales. I haven't been in a few months, but in past it's been good.

You hit the nail on the head about Frank's. It's in an older, more industrial part of the city but they've made it through the years. Another place that is close by if you like good home style cooking as far a diner type food is Snapkas. It's a former 50's style drive in style place that still has car hops, but has a dining area too. They have good Mexican food too along with great burgers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X