X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Off Season & OT Thread.....everything else

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    Wow. Really?

I am thinking definately in the top tier (top 4) of the LSC. A bounce or two or call or two in WT favor and maybe competing for the LSC title.

At least that's what I got from all the information posted on here over the past 7 months. And the recruiting news & new coach hires. Am I wrong?
    You could be right. You could be wrong. I wan't able to make any spring practices so everything I have is second hand. I just don't have a great feel for where the Buffs are going into the fall. Compared to last year, experience is up. I believe overall depth is up. Overall talent level should be up, if the recruiting classes of 2018 and 2019 pan out. Will the new offensive scheme be more effective and efficient? That's the big question to be answered. If WT can average 10 more points per game, I believe the Buffs will be top 4 in the LSC. Our defense spent so much time on the field in certain games last year. Neither Houghtaling nor Hood are dynamic-style QBs, not the kind of guys that can bring a team back from 14 down in the 4th quarter. Our scheme would prevent that as well. Hopefully, the new scheme will help. All I've heard is that it's going to kinda be like what the new Cowboys OC is doing. Not a complete rework, but a refinement that tries to get the ball out in more space to playmakers. Become less predictable. New looks. New sets. Having watched Houghtaling and Hood last year, and walked away unimpressed, if Tech transfer Gerber get's the nod, I'll be in a much better frame of mind. If Hughes and Brown decide to go with him, it'll be because he's won the job and is an improvement over the other two. Improved QB play will go a long way to getting those extra 10 points per game. If the DL is solid, I believe the D could be one of the best two or three in the league.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 05-04-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
      TAMUK may be the most improved this year.
      I guess hope is always alive and as a Tech fan, you should know how that goes and usually ends up. That's why my hope level is at zero going in this upcoming season.

I know our new AD has been on the job only since November, but I'm kind of disappointed how things have evolved to this point. For one, it you didn't have some sort of direct connection to the school or checked the athletic website, the more engaged fan would've had a hard time knowing spring football was in session a few weeks back, more less the casual fan just stopping by. Our SID does a better job than some we had in the past during this new era of media, but he still doesn't get it that football should be the grease for the wheel. Or maybe I am totally wrong and the worst fears of some of us are confirmed and football is just isn't important down in K-town as it was even less than a decade ago? I don't know? The new President has been on the job a few months, and maybe he's just waiting for the right time? I really want to say "I hope" this is the case, but my hope is very much on the negative side on the hope meter. To me the "right time" should have been tackled by the previous administration, like three or four years ago when we hired Coach Wilk.

But to date noting has been announced regarding any facility improvements as that have been said to be in the pipeline on here. Meanwhile the buzz is high in Canyon, Stephenville, etc about all the great stuff they are doing and we have to attempt to market against that? On top of the on the field success of Midwestern and Commerce. I hate to sound like a broken record with this, but we are at the "break the glass moment" now and if we are really committed to turning this thing around, we need to get on board the train or just mothball the dang thing and be content with being a bottom feeder.

On the field I've only read and seen what is in public (which is limited) about some of the transfers and high school recruits that will be on the squad next fall. With that I guess I feel like what Cleveland Brown's fans have gone through for years now with the enteral feeling of hope and maybe one day it will call come together. But then reality hits and it's back to square one. Too many false starts and crap, so my optimism is just not there and won't be there until we are still playing football in mid November once again. Coming close to beating the top tier teams in the league this fall will not count and ending up one game on either side of .500 shouldn't be acceptable. 6-5? Nope. 7-4? If that counts loses to Commerce, Tarleton and Midwestern it's still not acceptable because it will also include a loss to a mid tier as of late. But then again what would be the option for regime change after next season if the replacement won't have what he needs needs in his tool box to get the job done? It's will be just a rinse and repeat situation.
      Last edited by LSC Fan; 05-04-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
        I guess hope is always alive and as a Tech fan, you should know how that goes and usually ends up. That's why my hope level is at zero going in this upcoming season.

I know our new AD has been on the job only since November, but I'm kind of disappointed how things have evolved to this point. For one, it you didn't have some sort of direct connection to the school or checked the athletic website, the more engaged fan would've had a hard time knowing spring football was in session a few weeks back, more less the casual fan just stopping by. Our SID does a better job than some we had in the past during this new era of media, but he still doesn't get it that football should be the grease for the wheel. Or maybe I am totally wrong and the worst fears of some of us are confirmed and football is just isn't important down in K-town as it was even less than a decade ago? I don't know? The new President has been on the job a few months, and maybe he's just waiting for the right time? I really want to say "I hope" this is the case, but my hope is very much on the negative side on the hope meter. To me the "right time" should have been tackled by the previous administration, like three or four years ago when we hired Coach Wilk.

But to date noting has been announced regarding any facility improvements as that have been said to be in the pipeline on here. Meanwhile the buzz is high in Canyon, Stephenville, etc about all the great stuff they are doing and we have to attempt to market against that? On top of the on the field success of Midwestern and Commerce. I hate to sound like a broken record with this, but we are at the "break the glass moment" now and if we are really committed to turning this thing around, we need to get on board the train or just mothball the dang thing and be content with being a bottom feeder.

On the field I've only read and seen what is in public (which is limited) about some of the transfers and high school recruits that will be on the squad next fall. With that I guess I feel like what Cleveland Brown's fans have gone through for years now with the enteral feeling of hope and maybe one day it will call come together. But then reality hits and it's back to square one. Too many false starts and crap, so my optimism is just not there and won't be there until we are still playing football in mid November once again. Coming close to beating the top tier teams in the league this fall will not count and ending up one game on either side of .500 shouldn't be acceptable. 6-5? Nope. 7-4? If that counts loses to Commerce, Tarleton and Midwestern it's still not acceptable because it will also include a loss to a mid tier as of late. But then again what would be the option for regime change after next season if the replacement won't have what he needs needs in his tool box to get the job done? It's will be just a rinse and repeat situation.
        Wow. Sounds so sad. Chin up buckaroo!!!

What "buzz" are you talking about? A new stadium or stadium improvements? Listen, been there, done that three times. It's like buying a new car....as soon as the newness wears off, you realize it's just another car.

I think places like ASU & TAMUC got it right.....little improvements to facilities each year keeps a steady buzz. Kinda like going drinking. You can drink the bottle in one hour and get trashed or you can take a shot an hour and keep the party going all night.

I think Tarleton's buzz really is how well their team played last year. The stadium improvements are a cherry on the cake.

As far as WT......maybe the new stadium is a shot of life into a not so buzzing program.

Unfortunately, in sports you can go from top to bottom so fast. From hero to zero in a snap. Nature of the beast.

At least in your case it can only get better. Right?

Comment

What "buzz" are you talking about? A new stadium or stadium improvements? Listen, been there, done that three times. It's like buying a new car....as soon as the newness wears off, you realize it's just another car.

I think places like ASU & TAMUC got it right.....little improvements to facilities each year keeps a steady buzz. Kinda like going drinking. You can drink the bottle in one hour and get trashed or you can take a shot an hour and keep the party going all night.

I think Tarleton's buzz really is how well their team played last year. The stadium improvements are a cherry on the cake.

As far as WT......maybe the new stadium is a shot of life into a not so buzzing program.

Unfortunately, in sports you can go from top to bottom so fast. From hero to zero in a snap. Nature of the beast.

Comment

Pops...

I think Techster nailed it. And I think you even conceded the point a few years back when going back and forth with another poster on here that kids nowadays like "bling" and if recruiting strategies don't adapt, then you dig a deep hole for yourself. Part of that bling thanks to millions of dollars being spent at the high school level on facilities requires D2 schools and FCS schools to spend accordingly to upgrade their facilities because nothing says letdown to a potential recruit like facilities that are not even on par to what you might have utilized for four years in high school. I agree with what you said that are plan should have followed something like Angelo's and started a piecemeal approach to getting things up to standards such as building a new locker rooms and training complex. The next would be total refurbishment of the grandstands and new press boxes. The third area would have been an indoor multipurpose facility which could be utilized by other sports for work during inclement weather and an indoor track configuration for that sport. Put a ten year plan on the board with each getting started and completed within a certain timespan (2-3 years), which would include the requisite fundraising and going to kiss the rings of the BOR in College Station to get some of this work financed and paid for by the system via direct funding from A&M or tuition revenue bonds. That's how it's getting done at other system schools in both the A&M and UT systems.

Kingsville has always been a hard place to get kids to come to for the simple reason it's a distance from the big metro areas and their isn't much to do unless you like to hunt and fish or go up to Corpus and be a beach bum. But before the great facilities race and marketing kids with bling, we always had the fact if you wanted to get a chance to play in the NFL and the door had been shut to big boy school, you would get a chance to get that exposure down here. Or if you wanted to keep up your competitive juices from your high school years, you could do so without blinking an eye here. Even more so than SWT, Sam Houston, Rice, SMU and dare I say even a Baylor. Now we don't have that draw as we haven't had a draft pick in something like decade and some change and the awe of being winning NAIA championships back in the 60's and 70's just doesn't ring a bell with anyone but those who were around during that time or appreciate through history what it meant at the time.

Think about if you are potential recruit from somewhere north of a San Antonio to Houston line to the Metroplex and you have TAMUK, Commerce, Tarleton, Angelo, Midwestern, and WTAM knocking on your door. All of them offering you around the same schollie $$$, chances to make an immediate impact, etc. The process of elimination isn't that difficult as the way things stand now.
            Last edited by LSC Fan; 05-04-2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
              Pops...

I think Techster nailed it. And I think you even conceded the point a few years back when going back and forth with another poster on here that kids nowadays like "bling" and if recruiting strategies don't adapt, then you dig a deep hole for yourself. Part of that bling thanks to millions of dollars being spent at the high school level on facilities requires D2 schools and FCS schools to spend accordingly to upgrade their facilities because nothing says letdown to a potential recruit like facilities that are not even on par to what you might have utilized for four years in high school. I agree with what you said that are plan should have followed something like Angelo's and started a piecemeal approach to getting things up to standards such as building a new locker rooms and training complex. The next would be total refurbishment of the grandstands and new press boxes. The third area would have been an indoor multipurpose facility which could be utilized by other sports for work during inclement weather and an indoor track configuration for that sport. Put a ten year plan on the board with each getting started and completed within a certain timespan (2-3 years), which would include the requisite fundraising and going to kiss the rings of the BOR in College Station to get some of this work financed and paid for by the system via direct funding from A&M or tuition revenue bonds. That's how it's getting done at other system schools in both the A&M and UT systems.

Kingsville has always been a hard place to get kids to come to for the simple reason it's a distance from the big metro areas and their isn't much to do unless you like to hunt and fish or go up to Corpus and be a beach bum. But before the great facilities race and marketing kids with bling, we always had the fact if you wanted to get a chance to play in the NFL and the door had been shut to big boy school, you would get a chance to get that exposure down here. Or if you wanted to keep up your competitive juices from your high school years, you could do so without blinking an eye here. Even more so than SWT, Sam Houston, Rice, SMU and dare I say even a Baylor. Now we don't have that draw as we haven't had a draft pick in something like decade and some change and the awe of being winning NAIA championships back in the 60's and 70's just doesn't ring a bell with anyone but those who were around during that time or appreciate through history what it meant at the time.

Think about if you are potential recruit from somewhere north of a San Antonio to Houston line to the Metroplex and you have TAMUK, Commerce, Tarleton, Angelo, Midwestern, and WTAM knocking on your door. All of them offering you around the same schollie $$$, chances to make an immediate impact, etc. The process of elimination isn't that difficult as the way things stand now.
              I hear ya. All excellent.points.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                  Anything less than a playoff season this year will be a step in the wrong direction.
                  Ya think? Haha.

They are LOADED & DEEP with talent. Of course they make the play-offs. If they don't, the ONLY reason is coaching. They should clearly win the LSC. I compare the next two seasons to the Cowboys.....Barry taking over for Jimmy Johnson. You have a Championship level team handed to you.

Comment

Ya think? Haha.

They are LOADED & DEEP with talent. Of course they make the play-offs. If they don't, the ONLY reason is coaching. They should clearly win the LSC. I compare the next two seasons to the Cowboys.....Barry taking over for Jimmy Johnson. You have a Championship level team handed to you.
                    But unlike Barry, Bailiff didn't get to keep the entire coaching staff.

Switzer will retain every coach on Johnson's staff, including offensive coordinator Ernie Zampese and defensive coordinator Butch Davis.

"There won't be any changes," Switzer said. "I hope the Cowboys don't change. Jimmy and I are a lot alike. We've always been motivated and able to communicate to our teams. I just hope I can be compared to what Jimmy did." :laugh:

And this is where Lion fans should be concerned as to who is calling the offensive plays. One year of experience at Bridgewater College. Hmmmm not exactly what I would have hoped for.

Comment

Ya think? Haha.

Exactly. If we arent a force going into the playoffs next year, its coaching. If we regress over the next 2 or 3 seasons, we are back to square one and in trouble. Mediocrity sucks, even if the WT fans think it doesnt. Lol. I'm a realist. Wont see me blowing sunshine and Roses no matter how average we might become. And I wont support a new stadium at 600 bucks a year for my seats for an also ran.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                        Exactly. If we arent a force going into the playoffs next year, its coaching. If we regress over the next 2 or 3 seasons, we are back to square one and in trouble. Mediocrity sucks, even if the WT fans think it doesnt. Lol. I'm a realist. Wont see me blowing sunshine and Roses no matter how average we might become. And I wont support a new stadium at 600 bucks a year for my seats for an also ran.
                        Last edited by Techster88; 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I personally have to chuckle everytime I get on here and someone is bit**ing about WT again. I get the same feeling when I get on Twitter to read people bit** about Trump!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                            I personally have to chuckle everytime I get on here and someone is bit**ing about WT again. I get the same feeling when I get on Twitter to read people bit** about Trump!
                            So, do you equate WT with President Donald Trump?

(Some friendly advice, stay off Twitter. It poisons the mind with negativity) :bulgy-eyes:

Comment

So, do you equate WT with President Donald Trump?

(Some friendly advice, stay off Twitter. It poisons the mind with negativity) :bulgy-eyes:
                              No correlation in the two lol. Just get the same laugh when people go off on him 24/7 on Twitter.

Obviously on here it's only every once in a while you guys like to bash good ole WT

I'll admit Twitter is very negative and probably bad for my mind

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                                No correlation in the two lol. Just get the same laugh when people go off on him 24/7 on Twitter.

Obviously on here it's only every once in a while you guys like to bash good ole WT

I'll admit Twitter is very negative and probably bad for my mind
                                Could be like WNMU, with posters not talking about them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X