Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NLI-LSC Recruits Central......UP TO THE MOMENT UPDATES

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Good Lord, 63 spots? Can't you only carry 105 total?
    Negative. Football scholarships at a DII can be divided among as many players as a program wishes. There is no max # of players.

And keep in mind....few of these 63 are top players. What was one of the biggest issues at WT? Depth. This has now been addressed.

Isn't this the Carthel recruiting style. Get lots of rocks, find the diamonds. You may find other gems as well. Just polish them. It's one way to do it, and it works if you have the proper system in place.

Plus, WT has had some tough years in retaining recruits.

I spoke out against this when it was announced that they offered 100+ players. Thought it was nuts. But looking at what they grabbed.....good day for the Buffs.
    Last edited by ASUPops; 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I don't think there is a maximum squad #. Maybe suited up for home games, but not squad total. I'm going to a dinner tonight with the coaching staff where they will talk about the new recruits. I'll ask about the numbers.

Comment

Looking at Tarleton. I am surprised at the lack of DFW recruits. *scratching my head*

One player I am excited to see is Burston....a JUCO QB. This guy could be the real deal dual threat. Reminds me a little of ASU's KWash...not as big, but with a better deep ball. Keep an eye on him.

Comment

UTPB picked up 52 recruits I believe. Had a few nice signings....a couple that could make some dents in the LSC. Should be interesting to watch UTPB in 2019. I think you will see some good progress.

Comment

ENMU inked 55 players today....HUGE class for them. With 16 being JUCO's.

I don't know much about their recruits as I don;t follow NM HS FB. But they did get a nice grab in Mazin Richards an Edge out of Burleson. Guys explosive as heck. He is going to bring some serious pressure on QBs in the LSC. I think he plays bigger than he is too. Keep an eye out for him.

Comment

REPOST/EDIT as of 6:21 PM

ASU inks 28.

14 Offense
              14 Defense with 9 DBs (guess the Rams just slammed the door on pass defense issues):good:

Look for several more transfer impact players coming this summer.

Major defensive issues have certainly been addressed.

Grabbed two really good WR. Keeping up the tradition at ASU.....they may break some records!!

All the QBs are duel threat. They are the modern QB style we see out of Oklahoma's Murray. Smaller guys that are just great athletes and can make plays. One such player inked by ASU is Shundarion Ward, starting QB from Desoto. I am interested to see what Girsch or new OC does with these guys.

Some of the DBs we signed are LIGHTS OUT/SHUT DOWN backs. Looking forward to seeing ASU plug the leak....FINALLY. 707

Comment

I like what we had returning in terms of skill guys offensively. We got hit hard on the DL but to my knowledge haven't addressed it as of yet. I'm guessing we go JUCO there very heavy. Would have liked to see at least 1 more RB and a couple WR's due to attrition that is bound to happen.
                Yes, you are right. ASu has lots of returners and a bunch of FR that will get action this year. I don't think WR was a big need...13 returning. Also, have 15 DL returning. Could use a top Edge or two to sure up the defense.

Overall......I think ASU is in good shape. Just need to make sure to develop what they have......AND bring a whole lot of DISCIPLINE to the team.

#GORAMS

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                  ENMU inked 55 players today....HUGE class for them. With 16 being JUCO's.

I don't know much about their recruits as I don;t follow NM HS FB. But they did get a nice grab in Mazin Richards an Edge out of Burleson. Guys explosive as heck. He is going to bring some serious pressure on QBs in the LSC. I think he plays bigger than he is too. Keep an eye out for him.
                  Cleaned house in NM! Oddly enough pulled alot of guys from florida.
                  I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

https://tarletonsports.com/signingda...ing-day/nsd/2/

Comment

105 is the max allowed for D1. D2 has no upper limit. Coach Hughes says he likes to cap it at about 120. He said of the 58 HS kids WT signed, expect some will decide not to play FB in college. Some will not show for various reasons. You always lose a few in D2 between signing and enrollment.

Comment

I just returned from a dinner for WT FB boosters. The coaches went over each recruit. Hughes commented multiple times about kids who but for a couple inches here and there would be FCS or mid-level D1 recruits: OL's that were 6'1 285 or DE's that were 6'2 230 or a 6'0 270 NT. 6'4/6'5 and 290 and they'd be D1's at North Texas or UTEP or Tulane.

They're real high on the QB's. Especially Nick Gerber, RS transfer from Texas Tech, and, freshman Cameron Griffin, Glen Rose.

The WR corps is a big group in number as well as size, 6'0 to 6'5, playmakers that can elevate, run good routes, and go get the ball. Several run track. One is a 6'8 high jumper.

The DL's is a large class. Several kids from big-time programs, like North Shore. The 6'2 220 pound DL from North Shore is the only starting DL from that school not going D1, because of his size. The DL coach says he is the most explosive kid from the North Shore DL.....wrecks havoc in opposing backfields. He is the example of a lot of kids they signed.

I asked Coach Hughes how many kids they lost head-to-head against other LSC schools. He said "not many" Most of the kids they lost out on were kids that went FCS. And a lot of those kids signed with WT. One kid, a 6'4 315 OL had committed to Incarnate Word, but he heard about the new WT Ag business school (he's an ag business major), came up for a visit, and signed with WT.

A lot of good stories like that. They're waiting on a RB this weekend.....WT or Air Force.

Hughes emphasized, they got kids who are "football players" first. From winning programs, second. Good students, third. He said the combined HS GPA of the recruits was a 3.15.

Overall, the coaches seemed very pleased with the signees. Expect maybe 3 more transfer kids as well the summer.

I was very impressed with both the new DC, Joe Morris, and especially the new OC, Jake Brown. I had a long, long chat with Brown. He'll be implementing a whole new offense. New terminology, new system, etc. Expect a 50/50 run to pass offense. He'll run some 22, spread it out, up tempo, some QB RPO, some under center play action, motion, and above all try to get players in space and the ball into the hands of playmakers. His QB must have enough mobility to be able to get out of trouble, extend a play, and create something down the field. He's watched last year's film and just shook his head back and forth when I asked him his opinion of the 2018 offense. He said the Buffs only have one way to go on offense........up. This is a great opportunity for him to succeed and move on up the ladder. I hope he's ready to move up in a couple years. :victory:

DC Morris said he was elated to be at a school that appreciated their FB program. There were about 50 fans/boosters invited to the dinner. A lot of maroon blazers. Morris said he'd have been lucky to have 2 people show up at Ft. Lewis. He told me it was depressing to look up into the stands and see 1,000 fans at a game. His goal he said was to take the WT D from a good defense to a great defense. These coaches would be fun to play for.

It's going to be interesting (and I hope a lot of fun) to watch them put their product on the field.

I'll be accused of sunshine pumping/wearing maroon-tinted glasses, but I'm as enthused about the WT recruiting class as the coaches were.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-06-2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                          Miklo is a Bailiff guy, freshman starter for Rice in 2017, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting here next season. Also our AD confirmed that the LSC and GNAC will have a scheduling agreement moving forward from 2020. Supposed to be officially announced in the next 2 weeks.
                          Finally got a chance to see who signed with TAMUC today. First thing that jumped out at me was 12 WRs and I believe 9 or 10 DBs and Safeties. This tended to make for a small in size recruiting class with about only 10 players weighing at least 230lbs. With only 3 DLs and 4 LBs signed I assume HC has depth already at these positions.

Also, looked at Tarleton, and noticed they signed 28 which is about average for Whitten. Once again they loaded up with guys who will play on the line. 17 of their 28 recruits will play on the OL or DL.

Hope to get a chance tomorrow to look at Midwestern and Angelo. Later in the week I will checkout how WT did.

Tech did not fair well, dead last in the Big 12 according to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                            I just returned from a dinner for WT FB boosters. The coaches went over each recruit. Hughes commented multiple times about kids who but for a couple inches here and there would be FCS or mid-level D1 recruits: OL's that were 6'1 285 or DE's that were 6'2 230 or a 6'0 270 NT. 6'4/6'5 and 290 and they'd be D1's at North Texas or UTEP or Tulane.

They're real high on the QB's. Especially Nick Gerber, RS transfer from Texas Tech, and, freshman Cameron Griffin, Glen Rose.

The WR corps is a big group in number as well as size, 6'0 to 6'5, playmakers that can elevate, run good routes, and go get the ball. Several run track. One is a 6'8 high jumper.

The DL's is a large class. Several kids from big-time programs, like North Shore. The 6'2 220 pound DL from North Shore is the only starting DL from that school not going D1, because of his size. The DL coach says he is the most explosive kid from the North Shore DL.....wrecks havoc in opposing backfields. He is the example of a lot of kids they signed.

I asked Coach Hughes how many kids they lost head-to-head against other LSC schools. He said "not many" Most of the kids they lost out on were kids that went FCS. And a lot of those kids signed with WT. One kid, a 6'4 315 OL had committed to Incarnate Word, but he heard about the new WT Ag business school (he's an ag business major), came up for a visit, and signed with WT.

A lot of good stories like that. They're waiting on a RB this weekend.....WT or Air Force.

Hughes emphasized, they got kids who are "football players" first. From winning programs, second. Good students, third. He said the combined HS GPA of the recruits was a 3.15.

Overall, the coaches seemed very pleased with the signees. Expect maybe 3 more transfer kids as well the summer.

I was very impressed with both the new DC, Joe Morris, and especially the new OC, Jake Brown. I had a long, long chat with Brown. He'll be implementing a whole new offense. New terminology, new system, etc. Expect a 50/50 run to pass offense. He'll run some 22, spread it out, up tempo, some QB RPO, some under center play action, motion, and above all try to get players in space and the ball into the hands of playmakers. His QB must have enough mobility to be able to get out of trouble, extend a play, and create something down the field. He's watched last year's film and just shook his head back and forth when I asked him his opinion of the 2018 offense. He said the Buffs only have one way to go on offense........up. This is a great opportunity for him to succeed and move on up the ladder. I hope he's ready to move up in a couple years. :victory:

DC Morris said he was elated to be at a school that appreciated their FB program. There were about 50 fans/boosters invited to the dinner. A lot of maroon blazers. Morris said he'd have been lucky to have 2 people show up at Ft. Lewis. He told me it was depressing to look up into the stands and see 1,000 fans at a game. His goal he said was to take the WT D from a good defense to a great defense. These coaches would be fun to play for.

It's going to be interesting (and I hope a lot of fun) to watch them put their product on the field.

I'll be accused of sunshine pumping/wearing maroon-tinted glasses, but I'm as enthused about the WT recruiting class as the coaches were.
                            Nah....enjoy your day. Life's too short.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I always felt there wasn't much separating me from an NFL athlete. If I was 1/3 my age and half my weight, twice my strength, triple my speed and 4 inches taller I could really make some noise professionally.

Comment

All in all and considering the circumstances TAMUK finds themselves in, at least on paper I think they did well. And really that's about the only thing most of us can judge recruiting against.

We got some big bodies which we've been thin with for both sides of the line. I'd like to see us bring in a few more who could provide immediate help from the JUCO ranks.

We got a PK from CC Veterans Memorial who can absolutely nail it from long distance and against good winds too. I was surprised he didn't get snatched up by a FCS or even FBS school.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X