Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I'm not referring to this season or next, but 3-4 years down the road. Eliminating those FCS games will be on the table when new TV contracts are negotiated. Big bucks require big audiences. No offense meant, a meangless game between Texas A&M and ACU (or TAMC or an FCS WT) just won't cut the mustard when trying to capture and retain Big Bucks Paid For eyes-on-the-screen. That game brings nothing to the SCREEN.
    Last edited by catatonic; 08-24-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I'm not referring to this season or next, but 3-4 years down the road.

Eliminating those FCS games will be on the table when new TV contracts are negotiated. Big bucks require big audiences. No offense meant, a meaningless game between Texas A&M and ACU (or TAMC or an FCS WT) just won't cut the mustard when trying to capture and retain Big Bucks Paid For eyes-on-the-screen. That game brings little to the screen provider and the advertising buyer.
      Again, most FCS schools are not playing P5s, so their budgets are not dependent on these games. And of the P5-FCS matchups, very few involve upper tier P5 programs. Texas Tech and Vanderbilt are not paying a $ million for ACU to come play. If ACU is playing aTm, then yes, that might be a $ million payday. But those situations would be the exceptions.

I assume the finance model is working fine for ACU. Their enrollment is growing modestly by most accounts, and they certainly market to new students that they are "D1".

There is more than sufficient $$ for West Texas A&M to make the move to D1 any time they want to. From what I understand, the AA baseball team in Amarillo sold out its uber expensive luxury suites before the team was even announced, and sold over 400,000 tickets in one season. Pretty strong demand. And there was a massive waiting list just to buy season tickets. There's plenty of $ support for a D1 program in the Texas panhandle.

Would San Angelo or Commerce have that sort of potential support? Possible. I honestly have no idea of their demographics and sports histories.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Again, most FCS schools are not playing P5s, so their budgets are not dependent on these games. And of the P5-FCS matchups, very few involve upper tier P5 programs. Texas Tech and Vanderbilt are not paying a $ million for ACU to come play. If ACU is playing aTm, then yes, that might be a $ million payday. But those situations would be the exceptions.

I assume the finance model is working fine for ACU. Their enrollment is growing modestly by most accounts, and they certainly market to new students that they are "D1".

There is more than sufficient $$ for West Texas A&M to make the move to D1 any time they want to. From what I understand, the AA baseball team in Amarillo sold out its uber expensive luxury suites before the team was even announced, and sold over 400,000 tickets in one season. Pretty strong demand. And there was a massive waiting list just to buy season tickets. There's plenty of $ support for a D1 program in the Texas panhandle.

Would San Angelo or Commerce have that sort of potential support? Possible. I honestly have no idea of their demographics and sports histories.
        Last edited by catatonic; 08-25-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Generally speaking, P5 schools aren't playing FCS schools unless there is a scheduling issue and they have no other choice. Not saying it never happens because it certainly does, but FCS programs are not being subsidized by playing against P5 programs by any stretch. I believe there were only 40 FCS versus P5 matchups last year. Sounds like a lot, but when you consider there are 127 FCS programs, less than one third had any sort of "money" game.
          Texas Tech plays a southland conference school almost every year in hopes of getting to 6 wins to play in the I dont give a crap bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Texas Tech plays a southland conference school almost every year in hopes of getting to 6 wins to play in the I dont give a crap bowl.
            A lot of P5 teams do the same. Here is a list of teams and payouts originally scheduled for this year. Obviously COVID has changed everything.

https://herosports.com/news/football...-payouts-bzbz/

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post

A lot of P5 teams do the same. Here is a list of teams and payouts originally scheduled for this year. Obviously COVID has changed everything.

https://herosports.com/news/football...-payouts-bzbz/
              I am sure they do. My issue with Tech fans happen on facebook. Every year they schedule and beat teams like Houston Baptist, UTEP, and Arizona State to go 3-0. Guns up baby we are going to win the Big 12. Of course they all disappear by October when they start out 1-3, 0-4, etc. but you get the gist.

Comment

I am sure they do. My issue with Tech fans happen on facebook. Every year they schedule and beat teams like Houston Baptist, UTEP, and Arizona State to go 3-0. Guns up baby we are going to win the Big 12. Of course they all disappear by October when they start out 1-3, 0-4, etc. but you get the gist.

Comment

yup.

Comment

Ummmmm.....I think many programs fanbase can be added to this....I remember talk from WT like this AND my own talk like this with Angelo.

We all buy into the hype at times. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Ummmmm.....I think many programs fanbase can be added to this....I remember talk from WT like this AND my own talk like this with Angelo.

Yes, yes, yes

Comment

WT was going to win it all in 2014 after the addition of the D1 RB transfer according to many Buff fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Being a Longhorns Fan, Cowboys Fan, and Rangers Fan I no longer believe it unitl I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

WT was going to win it all in 2014 after the addition of the D1 RB transfer according to many Buff fans.
                            Not sure which Buffs Fans you were talking about but most of us knew WT's chances of a championship went down the drain when Nesbitt took over.

Comment

Not sure which Buffs Fans you were talking about but most of us knew WT's chances of a championship went down the drain when Nesbitt took over.
                              Several of them, the WT hype used to be over the top each year. There was high hope when that transfer was announced though, he was supposed to come in and dominate. Too bad those threads aren't still around! The point is that every fan base gets excited about what they have on paper, or due to early success, or whatever the reason might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Several of them, the WT hype used to be over the top each year. There was high hope when that transfer was announced though, he was supposed to come in and dominate. Too bad those threads aren't still around! The point is that every fan base gets excited about what they have on paper, or due to early success, or whatever the reason might be.
                                FACTS! Preach Brother!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X