Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Not sure I would use HBU as my benchmark. They have no business in D1 period. Southland must have been desperate when they signed them up, I have always read about the so called guidelines for facilities to be D1 and HBU facilities are no where near that. Nevertheless WT is positioned to make the move and they will have A&M backing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
      Who is MY school???? This is a PUBLIC messageboard. I say what I want, when I want!!! I am NOT a Democrat Liberal. I BELIEVE in freedom of speech!!!

Why don't you come TRY and shut me up NANCY!!!!! OLD AZZ KEYBOARD WARRIOR! LMAO 7070707
      Hey, Pops! Looks like you're fully recovered!! Excellent!!!

As a 52 year WT game-watcher, and as this IS a FB forum, I am anxiously looking forward to watching some Buff football this fall. I'm sure we'll get our butts kicked in proper order at Nacgdoches and Abilene. It'll be good game experience that will pay future dividends.

It'll also be great to watch several Buff seniors, who are moving on with their lives in Dec. We have 5 or 6 guys (a few who will leave with Master's degrees), who have looked forward to their last year of a lifetime of competition. Hurrah for them! Hurrah for the youngsters who get a chance to play without losing a year! Hurrah for the coaches who get to Coach! Hurrah for the students who get to experience a couple of game days! Hurrah for a return to a sense of normalcy!

Hey, man, I'm still looking forward to meeting you someday!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

As a 52 year WT game-watcher, and as this IS a FB forum, I am anxiously looking forward to watching some Buff football this fall. I'm sure we'll get our butts kicked in proper order at Nacgdoches and Abilene. It'll be good game experience that will pay future dividends.

It'll also be great to watch several Buff seniors, who are moving on with their lives in Dec. We have 5 or 6 guys (a few who will leave with Master's degrees), who have looked forward to their last year of a lifetime of competition. Hurrah for them! Hurrah for the youngsters who get a chance to play without losing a year! Hurrah for the coaches who get to Coach! Hurrah for the students who get to experience a couple of game days! Hurrah for a return to a sense of normalcy!

I agree. Maybe North American and Panhandle State will feel that way too.

From what I can tell, North American's first game ever will be in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

If Houston Baptist can play FCS then WT most certainly can. WT's football stadium has higher capacity and more attendance and Houston Baptist's basketball gym is smaller than my junior high gym in the 80s.
          I apologize to WT fans....that last line "Maybe one day WT can be reincarnated as a D1A....LMAO DYING 7070707070707" Really had NOTHING to do with WT, it was an inside joke directed at my buddy and sparring partner Techstar88 regarding a DM he sent me. You could replace WT with any team. It just fit the moment.

IMO, WT SHOULD move up to D1 AA (FCS), just not to the WAC.

Comment

I apologize to WT fans....that last line "Maybe one day WT can be reincarnated as a D1A....LMAO DYING 7070707070707" Really had NOTHING to do with WT, it was an inside joke directed at my buddy and sparring partner Techstar88 regarding a DM he sent me. You could replace WT with any team. It just fit the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Yes Sir!!

Listen, as a football lover, I'm MORE than ready to watch football. More so, I am MORE than ready for people to be able to visit their Dr or go to the hospital when needed and not be put at HUGE risk of contracting a deadly infectious disease. I am MORE than ready for people to get back to work, school, church, without the real threat of contracting a novel virus that we have NO real treatment for. I am MOST ready to stop seeing young adults lives altered forever or seeing people dying that would be alive but not for this novel virus.

It's one thing fighting cancer or ANY disease when we, as a medical army, have the weapons and can use or give these weapons to FIGHT the disease. It is entirely another when we don't. It's like we are fighting a well equipped army with sticks and stones.

So, whereas I WANT to watch football along with doing everything else......I, personally, am not willing to sacrifice ONE young players life...that could be forever changed or worse yet cost a life or lives (his/hers or anyone else they would infect....be it friends, family, teammates, coaches, medical staff) for the sake of a game. Sorry, I will never feel different about this.

And as far as meeting.....I would love that as well. We have talked, sparred, spatted, and laughed for 11 years now on this message-board. I have been to WT numerous times...especially a few years back when my niece played and my neighbor's kid played for WT. I can't believe I didn't look you up. I met a couple of posters that were VERY friendly. WT is a really good place!

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

WAC,, I like the last scenario. Chicago St is barely hanging on to sports. low low attendance. Im in Arizona now and Grand Canyon is loaded with $$.. fine facilities built of the back or a huge online college and the campus is building non stop. There was talk adding football, they have done well in BB and Baseball, and there is room to build a football stadium. ASU though is only 15 miles away or less but Grand Canyon fills its 9 K seat BB stadium pretty much every game. Football would get support as well. Could be a good rivalry. Other schools listed NAU , Northern Colo are close enough to be good rivials as well. NAU right down I 40 from Amarillo. Would be fun to see this happen and to see Buffs play D1 BB, they recruited well under Ron Eker they could do it again. Football did well in D1 under Kerbal and played some big schools. Would enjoy it much more then seeing some of these d2 schools. Even Dixie St has moved up.

Comment

Originally posted by bufffan78 View Post
                    WAC,, I like the last scenario. Chicago St is barely hanging on to sports. low low attendance. Im in Arizona now and Grand Canyon is loaded with $$.. fine facilities built of the back or a huge online college and the campus is building non stop. There was talk adding football, they have done well in BB and Baseball, and there is room to build a football stadium. ASU though is only 15 miles away or less but Grand Canyon fills its 9 K seat BB stadium pretty much every game. Football would get support as well. Could be a good rivalry. Other schools listed NAU , Northern Colo are close enough to be good rivials as well. NAU right down I 40 from Amarillo. Would be fun to see this happen and to see Buffs play D1 BB, they recruited well under Ron Eker they could do it again. Football did well in D1 under Kerbal and played some big schools. Would enjoy it much more then seeing some of these d2 schools. Even Dixie St has moved up.
                    If WT makes the move to D1 they need to step up their advertisement game the way it was during the Carthel years and for all sports. Baseball and basketball teams can have a decent known school by name make a trip (Tulsa, North Texas, Colorado State, etc.). Make it known that WT has the chance to be televised nationally if they luck out a tournament conference championship. It did wonders for ACU last year. Otherwise to the average fan base teams like Northern Colorado and Sam Houston State are no different than Commerce and Eastern New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

If WT makes the move to D1 they need to step up their advertisement game the way it was during the Carthel years and for all sports. Baseball and basketball teams can have a decent known school by name make a trip (Tulsa, North Texas, Colorado State, etc.). Make it known that WT has the chance to be televised nationally if they luck out a tournament conference championship. It did wonders for ACU last year. Otherwise to the average fan base teams like Northern Colorado and Sam Houston State are no different than Commerce and Eastern New Mexico.
                      Indeed. Being blown out by Kentucky on national TV was worth millions in free advertising. To a lesser extent, the ACU women suffering a humiliating tournament defeat at the hands of Baylor did the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post

Indeed. Being blown out by Kentucky on national TV was worth millions in free advertising. To a lesser extent, the ACU women suffering a humiliating tournament defeat at the hands of Baylor did the same thing.
                        Yep. I know Texas A&M-Corpus Christi's enrollment went up around 2007 when they almost knocked out Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament. For WT this would also benefit both basketball teams, Volleyball, and Softball. Those programs would be competitive right away especially in the WAC or Southland.

Comment

It's an interesting crossroads for the university. I can see good and bad. But the times are so uncertain. It you go and miss it could be devastating.

Comment

Now Pops that was just mean spirited. Pops one day when all this disease is over you should come down to Houston and we will go over to the best steakhouse in Houston Taste of Texas.I enjoy your raw unbridled REAL comments even if we agree to disagree. You are good people.

As far as WT moving up WAC is the only option at this moment and time. Play as an independent until you clear probation and see what options are out there. My guess is if one or two more D2 football schools move up joining the WAC its a foregone conclusion that a conference will form. There is only one FCS Conference out west and it is bloated.

Does anyone know if the WAC can still sponsor FBS football? Remember all of their Schools left before they were pushed down like the Southland. So, it was a moot point at that time.
                            Last edited by Techster88; 09-02-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Interesting discussion. I think now is the perfect opportunity for any school who wants to go up to D1 to have at it. The current COVID fallout might benefit schools who decide to go all in and make a go for it. And the key is they have to throw everything and have at it and not go half way.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Now Pops that was just mean spirited. Pops one day when all this disease is over you should come down to Houston and we will go over to the best steakhouse in Houston Taste of Texas.I enjoy your raw unbridled REAL comments even if we agree to disagree. You are good people.

As far as WT moving up WAC is the only option at this moment and time. Play as an independent until you clear probation and see what options are out there. My guess is if one or two more D2 football schools move up joining the WAC its a foregone conclusion that a conference will form. There is only one FCS Conference out west and it is bloated.

Does anyone know if the WAC can still sponsor FBS football? Remember all of their Schools left before they were pushed down like the Southland. So, it was a moot point at that time.
                                I would also throw Central Oklahoma into the WAC mix. Enrollment bumping 20,000. Facilities so so. Adds Oklahoma City area (and entire state) into a solid media market.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X