Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWU has back to back games with Western Oregon. CWU won the first 45-14. WO has only won one other game besides the WT game. They beat perennial doormat Simon Fraser, who they also get to play again. WO also gets to have fun with Lincoln, CA in their season finale.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post

CWU needs West Texas A&M to keep winning that helps their SOS with Western Oregon beating them.
      Advantage; Playing Angelo State and Midwestern (winning that one) as those teams will finish above .500
      Disadvantage: Eastern New Mexico is likely to finish below .500

Overall I am not sure beating up on the same weak teams twice with horrible records will offset the LSC wins/SOS.

Also only having 8 D2 games is going to be a killer too.

Recent history:

2014: Indianapolis was a conference champ with a 9-1 D2 record. They were 9-0 going into that last game and left out.
      2011: Humboldt State finishes as the conference champ at 9-1. Only loss to Western Oregon which they avenged 37-7 in the GNAC championship game but left out..

Eye test Central Washington should be in. CWU fans need to root for Midwestern to win out and eliminate any earned access stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I can see your argument now.

I hope TAMUC does get in. I have enjoyed watching the Lions this year. The rest of the season should be a blast!
        I am indifferent towards Commerce either way just going by recent history and trends.

Several years ago I kept up with every SOS rule and calculation and 95% of the time could predict every team and seed.

Funny disclaimer: I haven't kept up as much with the playoff rules recently due to WT sucking, job, and kids. Now that my kids feel that soccer, basketball, and girl scouts are more important than hanging out with me this weekend I might research all the current SOS calculations again and make a run at predicting the teams. :)

Agree with you the last few weeks of the season should be fun sorting this all out and seeing the playoff matchups.

Comment

[QUOTE=Buffalo/Islander Alum;n615903]

Now that my kids feel that soccer, basketball, and girl scouts are more important than hanging out with me

I am an Eagle Scout and a Scoutmaster. My dad was one of my Scoutmasters. He's gone now, but some of my fondest memories are of him taking the troop and me camping. In the grand scheme of things, when you throw your resume on the desk, no one cares that you played college sports, but if you can show that you are an Eagle Scout or Gold Award recipient, that will move your resume ahead of other job candidates. Go Scouting. Football isn't important.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I am indifferent towards Commerce either way just going by recent history and trends.

Several years ago I kept up with every SOS rule and calculation and 95% of the time could predict every team and seed.

Funny disclaimer: I haven't kept up as much with the playoff rules recently due to WT sucking, job, and kids. Now that my kids feel that soccer, basketball, and girl scouts are more important than hanging out with me this weekend I might research all the current SOS calculations again and make a run at predicting the teams. :)

Agree with you the last few weeks of the season should be fun sorting this all out and seeing the playoff matchups.
            You are definitely more knowledgeable than I.

I just don't remember any 3 loss teams from LSC getting into the playoffs. Doesn't mean it didn't or doesn't happen I guess. I just don't recall any.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

But from the LSC??
              I don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I don't understand.
                Other conferences have.....

Comment

I don't understand.
                  Meaning do you think a 3 loss team from the LSC would make.the play-offs over other SR4 conferences.

Comment

I don't understand.
                    He thinks there is little chance of a 3 loss team getting into the playoffs from the LSC which I tend to agree with. It would have to be under the right circumstances and I think Commerce has the only shot at it.

Comment

He thinks there is little chance of a 3 loss team getting into the playoffs from the LSC which I tend to agree with. It would have to be under the right circumstances and I think Commerce has the only shot at it.
                      I remember the year Eastern got left out Matt Witwicki did an interview with someone involved in the selection committee, and they walked through each region. One takeaway I remember is the committee member explained each SR, but they seemed to weight criteria differently by SR. Either that guy did a poor job explaining, I did a poor job listening, or the committee made the decision via the eye test and then fit the metrics to support those conclusions. I personally think the eye test matters.

And if that is the case then, in my opinion, everyone in SR4 with a chance at 3 or fewer losses should be putting up style points whenever possible.

Comment

Matt Witwicki

Did I characterize your interview correctly? Can you add anything to clarify or other interesting stuff you learned?

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post

I remember the year Eastern got left out Matt Witwicki did an interview with someone involved in the selection committee, and they walked through each region. One takeaway I remember is the committee member explained each SR, but they seemed to weight criteria differently by SR. Either that guy did a poor job explaining, I did a poor job listening, or the committee made the decision via the eye test and then fit the metrics to support those conclusions. I personally think the eye test matters.

And if that is the case then, in my opinion, everyone in SR4 with a chance at 3 or fewer losses should be putting up style points whenever possible.
                          I think there are times where the eye test is absolutely necessary and EA should be discounted. That year Shaw was allowed to be in the playoffs instead of Catawba when Catawba only trailed for 18 seconds in their one loss was a travesty. Shaw ended up falling behind 42-0 by the 2nd quarter of their playoff game.

Its a simplistic statement but take care of your business and not rely on other teams and/or a not so transparent way of deciding the playoff teams and seeds.

0 losses: Remove all doubt and hopefully top seed/playoff bye.
                          1 loss: Hope for 1st round home playoff game or playoff spot for independent.
                          2 losses: Hope for last remaining playoff spots.
                          3 losses: Need a lot of help and chaos (Earned Access).

Comment

[QUOTE=OPSUALUM77&81;n615957]

Now that my kids feel that soccer, basketball, and girl scouts are more important than hanging out with me

I am an Eagle Scout and a Scoutmaster. My dad was one of my Scoutmasters. He's gone now, but some of my fondest memories are of him taking the troop and me camping. In the grand scheme of things, when you throw your resume on the desk, no one cares that you played college sports, but if you can show that you are an Eagle Scout or Gold Award recipient, that will move your resume ahead of other job candidates. Go Scouting. Football isn't important.
                            Yeah I completely agree. Scouts teach them so much and they have made a lot of great friends. When my daughter isn't in girl scouts she is dribbling and shooting baskets for hours.

Comment

I think you are right.

Comment

[QUOTE=OPSUALUM77&81;n615957]

It depends on who is doing the interview. I know TONS of college athletes that were hired specifically because they were/are athletes. If you have never been a college football student athlete, then you simply won't understand.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X