Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

It was 2012 when Carthel coached his last game. He was fired in August of 2013 and Nesbitt took over as caretaker. The 2013 season was very good, but that was the last one. Nesbitt had a winning record due to playing teams like OPSU and McMurry who briefly moved to D2. Hughes has been marginally better. Last season was one of his better ones with a 7-4 record including wins over 2 NAIA teams. I don't see football ever improving while McBroom is AD. 8 years of mediocrity with another one coming up.

https://gobuffsgo.com/sports/football/schedule/2012
    Yeah Carthel got them there to the national semifinals in 2012 (instead of 2013). Nesbitt got them to the national quarterfinals in 2013 but with all of Carthel's players. If Carthel was there in 2013 WT would have likely run the table in the LSC and had home field advantage through the semi final game and things might have been different. The three losses WT had were where WT blew big leads and Nesbitt didnt adjust including that quarterfinal game against Grand Valley. Carthel knew how to finish the games off. As Carthel's players left he was exposed and WT declined to the point where they are now is mediocre average.

Angelo State, Midwestern State, and Central Washington are very good football teams but didnt strike "fear" into me like Commerce and Tarleton did the last several years.

The LSC is pretty much wide open this year. This is the first year in probably 20 years where I can't look at least the top 2 teams and say yes these are the clear favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yeah Carthel got them there to the national semifinals in 2012 (instead of 2013). Nesbitt got them to the national quarterfinals in 2013 but with all of Carthel's players. If Carthel was there in 2013 WT would have likely run the table in the LSC and had home field advantage through the semi final game and things might have been different. The three losses WT had were where WT blew big leads and Nesbitt didnt adjust including that quarterfinal game against Grand Valley. Carthel knew how to finish the games off. As Carthel's players left he was exposed and WT declined to the point where they are now is mediocre average.

Angelo State, Midwestern State, and Central Washington are very good football teams but didnt strike "fear" into me like Commerce and Tarleton did the last several years.

The LSC is pretty much wide open this year. This is the first year in probably 20 years where I can't look at least the top 2 teams and say yes these are the clear favorites.
      I think the Nesbitt era started in the second half of the Grand Valley game, where he was badly outcoached.

I think Angelo and Midwestern are the top 2 in the LSC. WT will finish in the middle of the pack at 6-5. I'm thinking the Simon Fraser game will be an easy win but I thought WOU would be too. Hughes can lose to any team any time, no matter the odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Remember just a few years ago peeps would have laughed and thought the same thing about a Tarleton or Commerce move to Division 1 and here they are. Chances are still microscopically low for WT but depending on what happens around them it could force their hand one day.

WT was well on their way to dominating at least the LSC and then an open door to dominate the region when the regions were reshuffled and the MIAA was placed elsewhere. WT proved that making it to the national semifinals in 2013.

Then Don Carthel was fired and the Carthels made it happen in Commerce and the rest is history.

I think the window for WT is open again with Commerce and Tarleton departing but unfortunately I dont feel the right coaching staff is in place to accomplish it.

Everyone KNEW Tarelton was going because of basketball.

Commerce played their cards hiring Bailiff.

WTAMU powers didn't shut the doors, they just slammed the doors.

To be honest. I was surprised. But it is what it is.

Now it's officially put to bed except for in the minds of a few zealous alum.

Comment

Looks like Lamar is returning to the Southland after only one year in the WAC.

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/sta...866108930?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
            Looks like Lamar is returning to the Southland after only one year in the WAC.

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/sta...866108930?s=21
            Yeah they were getting smashed in the WAC. Didnt win a conference game in football or basketball. Baseball is holding their own.

Tennis is dominating in the WAC which is interesting since I thought they would be a stronger tennis conference. They are also hosting the WAC tennis championships. They routinely hosted the Southland tennis championships.

Good to have them back to keep the southland from folding.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X