Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

This may be the first year in a long time that WNMU isn’t. They’ve been a perennial 0-2 win program. Doesn’t mean they can’t get better of course. Did they greatly improve this year or did the conference get weaker? Or both?

How many scholarships is WOU operating on? They do well with what they have. But what they have isn’t much, from what the WOU people say.

I’ll amend it to: WNMU is way below average. WOU is below average.
    2022 Football Schedule - Western New Mexico University Athletics (wnmumustangs.com)
    2022 Football Schedule - Western Oregon University Athletics (wouwolves.com)

So you haven't seen either team play. I am talking about this year. Both teams are 5-5. While it is good to note how a team has performed in the past, this year both teams are easily average.

I think they conference got better this year, but is down from 4 or 5 years ago.

Comment

• Hate to say it but Purple Mav Fan is right.

Most of the teams in the LSC and RMAC are average at best.

Caveat so are most teams the NSIC.

Which teams can the LSC and RMAC say with a straight face (Other than Angelo State) that they beat an above average team during the regular season?

Comment

• The NSIC doesn't have a dominant team. You have 8 teams that seem decent and 6 that can't reach .500 if their life depended on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
          Hate to say it but Purple Mav Fan is right.

Which teams can the LSC and RMAC say with a straight face (Other than Angelo State) that they beat an above average team during the regular season?
          Only way to find out is head to head competition! COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU!
          Last edited by ASUPops; 11-07-2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
            Nice win by WOU. It's good to see WOU and WNMU on the rise.

SFU's QB is very good. He has no protection nor receivers that can catch. If they can find a can of stickem they can be trouble for WT. Plus the SFU defender #50 with the nonmatching awful socks could distract the WT offense. Further, if the SFU kicker shows too much leg, WT might get caught looking.

I'm just lowering my expectations for football, because next year is going to be really bad unless our next QB is as good as Gerber (and he won't be). We can still be runner up for the Whatchamacallit award though, as track and field will be great, even if no one cares..
            Yes, Seiber is good, had a great HS career in the SeaTac area. I’m surprised he went to SFU.

SFU WR #4 Beselt is a good player too. Talked to his parents for a long time yesterday, good people too.
            Last edited by SPWOU; 11-06-2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

This may be the first year in a long time that WNMU isn’t. They’ve been a perennial 0-2 win program. Doesn’t mean they can’t get better of course. Did they greatly improve this year or did the conference get weaker? Or both?

How many scholarships is WOU operating on? They do well with what they have. But what they have isn’t much, from what the WOU people say.

I’ll amend it to: WNMU is way below average. WOU is below average.
              WOU has 13 scholarships.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Luckily it doesn't work that way.

I think the WOU coach blew it at the end of the half. Going for a TD on 4th down (which failed) wasn't smart. I could hit a field goal from there, even with my helmet on backwards. WOU still leads 26-7. By the way the SFU kicker is female. https://athletics.sfu.ca/sports/foot...e-elliott/5793

Winker was interviewed at halftime, I was impressed. He's listed as a sophomore on their website. He sounds like he will be back next year.
                Thanks for the heads up on the interview or I wouldn’t have known about it. SMDH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

WNMU and WOU are not way below average. If you have watched any of their games, you would know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Only way to find out is head to head completion! COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU!
                    The NSIC will get their chance…in Texas. I guess Colorado too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                      Hate to say it but Purple Mav Fan is right.

I am not here to say the NSIC is better. Every conference has its “have-nots” and the NSIC’s are certainly noticeable. I do think this year that the NSIC has more playoff worthy teams though. But I’ve said a number of times I think Angelo is the best team.

To the bolded: While the silo scheduling is something I think 99% (maybe even 100) of us would rather not see, the NSIC does have around 6-8 above average teams this year. None great/dominant, and maybe 1-2 of those are ‘very good’. Whether that means anything come playoff time other than getting more teams in, we’ll see. At the end of the day, I’m cheering for my school, not my conference :)

Ideally I wish 12 teams per region made the playoffs. It would allow for forced cross-conference matchups and we’d get an idea where teams actually stack up at the end of the season, when it matters. Rather than typical early season non-conf games.

New rankings today and one more week to go. Good luck to all teams, but more to mine! Ha

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                        The NSIC doesn't have a dominant team. You have 8 teams that seem decent and 6 that can't reach .500 if their life depended on it.
                        Correct. No dominant team this year.

Sometimes teams are dominant within a conference though because the conference isn’t as strong as normal. 8 decent teams is 4-5 more than the LSC has and 5-6 more than the RMAC. But…conferences don’t win games. Teams do. And the best team this year has shown to be Angelo. They win games.

Comment

• Look at the NSIC from last year. Three teams in the playoffs. Augie and Bemidji plate each other in the first round, so NSIC picks up a win. Bemidji is handled by Mines in a big fashion (55-6). Duluth plays Angelo in the first round and gets beat 48-14. How does that speak to the strength of the NSIC? If there were OOC games for the NSIC, there might have been a better idea as to how they compared. For 2021, they didn't compare to the rest of the region.

Comment

2022 Football Schedule - Western New Mexico University Athletics (wnmumustangs.com)
                            2022 Football Schedule - Western Oregon University Athletics (wouwolves.com)

So you haven't seen either team play. I am talking about this year. Both teams are 5-5. While it is good to note how a team has performed in the past, this year both teams are easily average.

I think they conference got better this year, but is down from 4 or 5 years ago.
                            WOU’s only losses that were more than 5-points were to FCS #5/6 Weber State and ASU. I wouldn’t say below average this year. Any other DII teams play a top 10 FCS team for their first games or at all for that matter?

Comment

Look at the NSIC from last year. Three teams in the playoffs. Augie and Bemidji plate each other in the first round, so NSIC picks up a win. Bemidji is handled by Mines in a big fashion (55-6). Duluth plays Angelo in the first round and gets beat 48-14. How does that speak to the strength of the NSIC? If there were OOC games for the NSIC, there might have been a better idea as to how they compared. For 2021, they didn't compare to the rest of the region.
                              The NSIC was weak last year, no doubt about it. That was mentioned often last season. I was in the camp that thought Duluth shouldn’t have been in the playoffs to begin with.

Back to this year. I think the LSC is weak this year. They at least have a team that stands above the rest, but ‘the rest’ is down, aside from a couple of programs going from bottom to middle.

They didn’t need OOC games last year, most knew what the results in the playoffs were going to be for the NSIC teams. Again, the conference was down last year, big time. We’re about to find out if they’ve made any progress. More importantly, I want my Mavs to figure out a reliable pass defense :)

Comment

The NSIC was weak last year, no doubt about it. That was mentioned often last season. I was in the camp that thought Duluth shouldn’t have been in the playoffs to begin with.

Back to this year. I think the LSC is weak this year. They at least have a team that stands above the rest, but ‘the rest’ is down, aside from a couple of programs going from bottom to middle.

They didn’t need OOC games last year, most knew what the results in the playoffs were going to be for the NSIC teams. Again, the conference was down last year, big time. We’re about to find out if they’ve made any progress. More importantly, I want my Mavs to figure out a reliable pass defense :)
                                What makes you feel like there has been some strengthening of the NSIC this year?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X