Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

That doesnt always work.

CW loses to Montana Tech and beats Angelo State last night.

I remember several years ago Montana State went down to Colorado and beat them on their home field and next week they lost to Chadron State on their own home field.

D2 games week in and week out are still the best way,
    There is no perfect system. And I will admit that D2 games should weighted very heavily for playoff considerations.These games will provide the best apples-to-apples comparison and make up the vast majority of the volume of data available.

But wins against FCS teams or loses again D3/NAIA schools shouldn't be ignored. They happened and will tell you something about the teams.

And I am definitely not saying all wins against FCS schools or all loses to D3/NAIA should help or hurt the same.

I remember back in 2002 Kingsville beat Prairie View A&M, who was D1-AA, 65-0 in Kingsville.That game didn't provide any useful input into how good or bad Kingsville was that year because Prairie View A&M was so bad that year and for at least a few years beforehand. On a similar note, CWU's losing to Montana Tech is a lot different than losing to someone like Texas College because of the fact that Montana Tech is a good NAIA team and Texas College struggles to be able to field an NAIA team.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMUK09 View Post

There is no perfect system. And I will admit that D2 games should weighted very heavily for playoff considerations.These games will provide the best apples-to-apples comparison and make up the vast majority of the volume of data available.

But wins against FCS teams or loses again D3/NAIA schools shouldn't be ignored. They happened and will tell you something about the teams.

And I am definitely not saying all wins against FCS schools or all loses to D3/NAIA should help or hurt the same.

I remember back in 2002 Kingsville beat Prairie View A&M, who was D1-AA, 65-0 in Kingsville.That game didn't provide any useful input into how good or bad Kingsville was that year because Prairie View A&M was so bad that year and for at least a few years beforehand. On a similar note, CWU's losing to Montana Tech is a lot different than losing to someone like Texas College because of the fact that Montana Tech is a good NAIA team and Texas College struggles to be able to field an NAIA team.
      Well it all goes back to winning all the games on your schedule and remove all doubt.

If a team cant do that then make sure you schedule good D2 teams non conference to help your SOS case.

Kingsville has helped themselves out a ton in that regard.

That was why Colorado Mines didnt collapse after an 0-2 start last year.

Comment

Out-of-division games are not part of the criteria this year. But the KPI ratings that will be a criterion starting next year will include them.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          Out-of-division games are not part of the criteria this year. But the KPI ratings that will be a criterion starting next year will include them.
          Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
            Thanks. I knew I read something about that.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification.
              Soooo as I had said, that's not how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

You complete missed the point. Which is not surprising. The point is, the powers that be decided that your way is the wrong way and decided to change "how thing work" to the right way. That is, the way I was talking about. It is common to wait a year when making a rule change to give people time to adapt.

Comment

Correct for this year. Next year it's part of some kind of computer ranking.

It didn't look like a great system from what I remember, and worries me a little.

Comment

You complete missed the point. Which is not surprising. The point is, the powers that be decided that your way is the wrong way and decided to change "how thing work" to the right way. That is, the way I was talking about. It is common to wait a year when making a rule change to give people time to adapt.
                    My way is the wrong way? I don't remember making the rules for the NCAA, must've been after consuming too many old fashioneds or something.

I understand that it's been a long time since a Kingsville fan needed to know the playoff criteria though so my sincere apologies.

Comment

Relax, it was but a funny quote from an old commercial. Didn't think you'd be so sensitive.
                      That's why I blocked him last year. You KNOW I don't do keyboard warriors. 😄😄

Comment

My way is the wrong way? I don't remember making the rules for the NCAA, must've been after consuming too many old fashioneds or something.

I understand that it's been a long time since a Kingsville fan needed to know the playoff criteria though so my sincere apologies.
                        😂😂😂😂

Comment

Don't be so grouchy that your team is already out of the playoff picture after only 3 games. It makes you look petty.
                          Last edited by TAMUK09; 09-20-2023, 05:59 PM.

Comment

The powers that be have always surprised us how they rank! It’s not consistent. Look at how they kept Ferris State at #1 after a loss. They also kept Angelo State in the top 25 with a 1-2 record. I’m glad TAMUK has played all D2 teams as I agree with other posts that beating a D1 team or losing to an NAIA team should not inflate or deflate the teams respectively. The Javelinas are off this coming weekend but meeting UTPB on the 30th. That game will be a reckoning and I’m pulling for the Hoggies!

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Correct for this year. Next year it's part of some kind of computer ranking.

It didn't look like a great system from what I remember, and worries me a little.
                              Next year a small portion of the criteria will reflect FCS/NAIA games. It will be negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Hoggie View Post
                                The powers that be have always surprised us how they rank! It’s not consistent. Look at how they kept Ferris State at #1 after a loss. They also kept Angelo State in the top 25 with a 1-2 record. I’m glad TAMUK has played all D2 teams as I agree with other posts that beating a D1 team or losing to an NAIA team should not inflate or deflate the teams respectively. The Javelinas are off this coming weekend but meeting UTPB on the 30th. That game will be a reckoning and I’m pulling for the Hoggies!
                                The ranking of the polls have nothing to do with selection of playoff teams and those factors.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X