Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facilities matter when hosting a tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Hey I am happy with it.

Just saying Ft. Lewis swept Colorado Mesa for 2 of their 3 losses and they won their conference tournament with a 28-3 final record with one bad road loss.

Might be a stretch to say WT earned it losing 3 out of 4 down the stretch that included 2 non tournaments teams, a home loss, and a first round exit of the LSC tournament.
      WT beat Mesa and Ft. Lewis lost to Angelo who lost twice to WT.
      Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-11-2024, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

WT beat Mesa and Ft. Lewis lost to Angelo who lost twice to WT.
        Don't let Runnin' Cat see this post or you will get a 5 page thesis on the disproven transitive property in sports. :D

Comment

Wt in the sweet 16. Title game Tuesday night - should be a good game.
          The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

WT men return to the Elite 8 with last night's 88-76 win over Colorado Mesa. Mesa finished the year 29-5, while WT is 29-4.

It was a raucous, loud crowd at WT. Announced at 2,500 IMO there were at least 3,500 WT fans. It really created a tough environment for the visitors.

After a 3-0 lead, the Buffs trailed the entire 1st half, entering halftime down 35-27. Mesa continuously denied WT good shots and their offense repeatedly forced the Buffs to defend poor matchups from back cuts and screens. Often WT was defending a 6'9 Mesa player with a 6'1 Buff. It was ugly.

The 2nd half was all WT, the Buffs scoring 61 points, outscoring Mesa by 20. Asst HC Chris Gove told me after the game it was the best 2nd half all season. South Central region POY, senior Larry Wise, carried the water ending with 29 pts and the tournament MVP. Senior Ryland Holt made the all-tournament team.

WT heads to Evansville as the #4 seed facing #5 seed North Georgia at 8:30 pm next Tuesday.

Comment

Lance Lahnert is a terrific sports writer:

https://www.presspass.news/what-a-ni...lectric-crowd/

Comment

WT men return to the Elite 8 with last night's 88-76 win over Colorado Mesa. Mesa finished the year 29-5, while WT is 29-4.

It was a raucous, loud crowd at WT. Announced at 2,500 IMO there were at least 3,500 WT fans. It really created a tough environment for the visitors.

After a 3-0 lead, the Buffs trailed the entire 1st half, entering halftime down 35-27. Mesa continuously denied WT good shots and their offense repeatedly forced the Buffs to defend poor matchups from back cuts and screens. Often WT was defending a 6'9 Mesa player with a 6'1 Buff. It was ugly.

The 2nd half was all WT, the Buffs scoring 61 points, outscoring Mesa by 20. Asst HC Chris Gove told me after the game it was the best 2nd half all season. South Central region POY, senior Larry Wise, carried the water ending with 29 pts and the tournament MVP. Senior Ryland Holt made the all-tournament team.

WT heads to Evansville as the #4 seed facing #5 seed North Georgia at 8:30 pm next Tuesday.
                I agree about the attendance. NO WAY there was only 2500 people there. I thought the announced attendance for all tournament games was ridiculously low. Why would WT (or the NCAA) do that?

That was the loudest, most raucous, big-time college atmosphere I’ve witnessed for a Buff game since the Missouri Valley days. Incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post

I agree about the attendance. NO WAY there was only 2500 people there. I thought the announced attendance for all tournament games was ridiculously low. Why would WT (or the NCAA) do that?

That was the loudest, most raucous, big-time college atmosphere I’ve witnessed for a Buff game since the Missouri Valley days. Incredible.
                  WT would be a welcome addition to the Southland.

Most of the Southland basketball arenas are like having a funeral in a junior high gym.

I will say it was nice to see the Southland hold the Southland championship game at McNeese where they drew 4200 attendance according to ESPN.

All conference championship games should be at the first place finishers gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

WT would be a welcome addition to the Southland.

Most of the Southland basketball arenas are like having a funeral in a junior high gym.

I will say it was nice to see the Southland hold the Southland championship game at McNeese where they drew 4200 attendance according to ESPN.

All conference championship games should be at the first place finishers gym.
                    Looking at the current D1/FCS landscape, what exactly is the advantage for WT to be playing in the Southland? You just stated that virtually no one cares about Southland athletics. What would be the point of going from playing in front of 8,000 LSC WT football fans, 1,800 basketball fans, 800 VB fans, and 300 SB fans to the same home numbers for Southland games?

Till the chaos in D1/FCS begins (if ever) to recede, I see almost NO positive reasons for WT, Angelo, or any other current LSC school to go Southland. Just more expense with little upside for increased income. Unless getting your brains beat out for a D1 money game counts as progress.

Comment

Looking at the current D1/FCS landscape, what exactly is the advantage for WT to be playing in the Southland? You just stated that virtually no one cares about Southland athletics. What would be the point of going from playing in front of 8,000 LSC WT football fans, 1,800 basketball fans, 800 VB fans, and 300 SB fans to the same home numbers for Southland games?

Till the chaos in D1/FCS begins (if ever) to recede, I see almost NO positive reasons for WT, Angelo, or any other current LSC school to go Southland. Just more expense with little upside for increased income. Unless getting your brains beat out for a D1 money game counts as progress.
                      To be fair most of the Southland basketball teams suck the huge one so lack of attendance is probably a big factor there.

McNeese was in that boat until they hired Will Wade this year and brought in a bunch of transfers to dominate.

Note: Shahada Wells was one of the transfers and he went to Tascosa High in Amarillo.

As a result their attendance and interest grew substantially.

My stance is if the LSC is stable then so be it and stay put unless you start adding Amarillo College, Frank Phillips, etc.

If more LSC schools leave and if at some point the LSC folds then I would rather see the jump instead of RMAC or independent.

Playing mostly Texas schools in the southland I think would soften the expense blow.

WT would be competitive right away to contend for southland conference tournament titles and big dance auto bids.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X