Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utpb recruiting

Here's the link to the information regarding UTPB's signing day! Looks like a strong class. 17 transfers and 38 High School signees. It's cool to see them put the signees other offers.

https://utpbfalcons.com/news/2024/2/...dy-to-fly.aspx

Originally posted by UTPBFalcons1 View Post
    Here's the link to the information regarding UTPB's signing day! Looks like a strong class. 17 transfers and 38 High School signees. It's cool to see them put the signees other offers.

https://utpbfalcons.com/news/2024/2/...dy-to-fly.aspx
    that is pretty cool. It would have been nice to know what schools they came from. Can't even look them up on hudl.

Comment

Personally I couldn't care less who else made offers. I would like to know their previous JUCO/univ or HS. That tells me more.

Especially since programs offer 3-4 times more recruits than they will sign. 😂

Comment

#1 class in D2 as ranked by wearefullofbull.net

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
          Personally I couldn't care less who else made offers. I would like to know their previous JUCO/univ or HS. That tells me more.

Especially since programs offer 3-4 times more recruits than they will sign. 😂
          Agreed! Especially when you’re dealing with partial scholarships. Books scholarship vs a room and board scholarship are like comparing apples and oranges

Comment

Originally posted by gohounds View Post

Agreed! Especially when you’re dealing with partial scholarships. Books scholarship vs a room and board scholarship are like comparing apples and oranges
            100%. Nowadays the kids AND parents....and now apparently young coaches like to brag about the # of offers players received. It's all about ego. SMDH.

If I told you the # of schollies my 4 kids were offered it would blow your mind. None of it mattered. And still doesn't.

Brock Purdy had a total of 13 offers through his 4 years of HS from D3 to D1 schools. 1 P5 Iowa State, and that's were he went. He was Mr Irrelevant in the dradt and now he is starting in the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Jon Kitna had 3 offers. All D2. He played for CWU.

Like you say none of that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
              #1 class in D2 as ranked by wearefullofbull.net
              😂😂

Comment

I am sure they do have the best D2 class in the nation.

I am not sure how a school like UTPB can bring in 17 mid year transfers, most these other schools brought in 5 tops. . They lost very little to the portal, I can't imagine they were not under there scholarship budget going into the season and they had very few seniors on the the roster to begin with and as far as I can tell none graduated at semester. I have followed D2 recruiting for a lot of years and I have never seen a school do what UTPB has done on the transfer market the last two years. Transfers are not cheap. The money doesn't add up.
                It can be only one of two things:
                1. the second year head coach is way over his scholarship budget.
                2. they have a very robust NIL program. the best in the nation. Does NIL have to be reported through league or NCAA? Does anyone know.

Comment

17 transfers and 38 HS signees. That pie of 36 is really getting divvied up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                    I am sure they do have the best D2 class in the nation.

I am not sure how a school like UTPB can bring in 17 mid year transfers, most these other schools brought in 5 tops. . They lost very little to the portal, I can't imagine they were not under there scholarship budget going into the season and they had very few seniors on the the roster to begin with and as far as I can tell none graduated at semester. I have followed D2 recruiting for a lot of years and I have never seen a school do what UTPB has done on the transfer market the last two years. Transfers are not cheap. The money doesn't add up.
                    It can be only one of two things:
                    1. the second year head coach is way over his scholarship budget.
                    2. they have a very robust NIL program. the best in the nation. Does NIL have to be reported through league or NCAA? Does anyone know.
                    128 players on 2023 roster of those 21 are Srs & GR. Of all 21 left, which they didn't, that wpuld leave 107 players....add on 55 signers from '24 recruiting class. That's 162 players going into Fall camp.

36 schollies for 162 players??? At $20k full cost, that means each player gets $2,222 a semester avg. And Former QB1's Dad says I was absolutely wrong about NIL?

Okay.

Are they tapping into this:

https://www.utpb.edu/admissions-aid/falcon-free/index
                    Last edited by ASUPops; 02-10-2024, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debergfan

Not exactly, correct. I posted on another thread. If my math is correct West Florida won the national championship with 60+ full ride football players. The highest cost to attend UTPB is Non-Resident/International at $32,840. A kid from canada on a full ride would be 1.0 equivalency. A texas kid with free tuition would be .28 equivalency. Texas kid on full ride with tuition/housing/meals is .62. That means if they're fully funded at 36, they have 58 full ride football players. I didn't see the rules on TX residents, if it's 6 months or a year. Now, if you factor in free tuition programs, pell grants, etc you can have rosters of 60-70 full ride kids. That is why the jump to FCS is not that much.

GV has different rates for in-state and out of state. Full scholarship Michigan resident counts either .50 or .70 towards the 36 scholarship limit while out of state would count as 1 towards the 36. At McKendree, they have one rate, with full tuition student would count as 1 towards the 36. Once they live in MI for 6 months, they get the in-state rate.

https://www.gvsu.edu/financialaid/tu...-23-24-252.htm

https://www.gvsu.edu/admissions/gvsu...-policy-58.htm

GV st breakdown
                      MI - 83
                      OH - 15
                      IL - 9
                      IN - 13

I've heard Grand Valley and Ferris have 50-70 full scholarship athletes. Nothing against the rules btw, some schools can't afford to do that.

https://catalog.mines.edu/graduate/r...nstatetuition/

Tuition Classification for WICHE/WRGP Program Participants
                      WICHE, the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, promotes the sharing of graduate-level higher education resources among the participating western states through the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP). Under this program, residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming who are enrolled in qualifying graduate programs may be eligible for a discounted tuition classification.

Colorado residency (basically any off-campus soph, juniors, or seniors)
                      • Intent are the legal ties a person has established to make Colorado their permanent home and must be established concurrently while establishing domicile. This means a student must sever ties from their former state and establish these ties in Colorado. This would include: license, voter registration, vehicle registration, and filing state taxes like any other resident of the state.
                      No wonder. Mines is #1
                      https://www.mines.edu/bursar/wp-cont...n-Schedule.pdf

Co Mines
                      Co -49
                      WA - 10
                      TX - 45
                      AZ - 2
                      CA - 5

My guess with colorado kids, if all were full, that is .40 scholarship towards the 36, that's 49 full scholarships. I'm guessing Mines is close to 70 scholarships.
                      With 4 kids that played college sports, and dozens and dozens I have coached, I've never seen a DII give 60 full ride athletic scholarships.

Comment

Let's do the math. If we assume a lot, do things correctly. The partial-scholarship model is sometimes referred to as an “equivalency” system. That’s because schools in Division II are allowed to award athletics-based financial aid that is “equivalent” to a certain number of full grants in each sport. For example, in football, schools are allowed to award up to 36 “equivalencies” or full grants, but of course the rosters in football are much larger than 36 players. If attending college cost $1k for the year, that would be 1 equivalency. If you gave a student, $500, that would be .50

Grand Valley has 4 rates. 14,628/15,328 for Michigan Residents and 20,820/21,488 for nonresidents. The highest value to attend GV would be 21488 which would be the 1.0. That is why a Michigan recruit has a greater value to GV and the terminology to determine their residency is another key.

Full Michigan resident would count at .68

https://www.gvsu.edu/admissions/gvsu...-policy-58.htm

GV st breakdown
                        MI - 83
                        OH - 15
                        IL - 9
                        IN - 13

No school in D2 history has won or made the championship with the flat tuition rate. Every school going back 20 years has multiple tuition rates.
                        Only issue is out of state student athletes get out of state waivers and count as in state tuition.

Comment

After all this last year they were humiliated at home in the playoffs last year by a non-successful NSIC school that turned around and lost at home themselves to a team that UTPB smoked in the regular season.

Lets revisit this at the end of the 2024 season to see if the coaching can catch up to the talent.

Comment

And after 6 months, they receive in-state tuition. All but the freshmen would be on in-state.
                            Correct.

That all makes sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                              After all this last year they were humiliated at home in the playoffs last year by a non-successful NSIC school that turned around and lost at home themselves to a team that UTPB smoked in the regular season.

Lets revisit this at the end of the 2024 season to see if the coaching can catch up to the talent.
                              Give them a freaking break! It was the coaches 1st year and they went 10-1 in LSC and 10-2 on tbe season.

How'd your Buff's 1st year coach do??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X