Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year -- SMSU had the top of the 2 tacklers in Shane Ratkovich and Alex Ney. Ney got noticed but Ratkovich was dissed.

As I mentioned in another post, the Ratkovich diss was embarrassing given he set a conference record on TFL (21.5) !!! -- that is making plays, not racking up stats!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Last year -- SMSU had the top of the 2 tacklers in Shane Ratkovich and Alex Ney. Ney got noticed but Ratkovich was dissed.

As I mentioned in another post, the Ratkovich diss was embarrassing given he set a conference record on TFL (21.5) !!! -- that is making plays, not racking up stats!
      Perhaps, I don't know the kid. But you can rack up massive stats by ignoring your assignment and doing your own thing. When it works, you pad the stats. When it doesn't, the opponent gets yards and makes big plays, but that doesn't count against stats so you look like a stats superstar still. One of the reasons that overall performance of the defense should be a major factor.

Comment

http://northernsun.org/news/2019/11/...announced.aspx

Comment

Comment

Matt Witwicki
            @WittD2Football39s
            Glad to see OJ get the Coach, getting AU to 9 wins. So..Wayne and SMSU get 2 guys on the First Team D, USF gets none..? How about Brody Grantham? I was expecting to see Cole Schroedermeier (MSU-DB) on 1st team, does a lot for the top D. Having an overall list would be far better.

(additional thoughts)

Stevens from UIU (WR) should be higher up than HM. I agree with the brunt of the selections....but 20 guys from UMD making the squad, on a down year....this is why they need an overall group and not this laundry list of selections. It's great for all the players, but it waters things down a lot. I could handle a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team....in an overall fashion....or 1st, 2nd, and HM. Just my own take. But when 20 guys from an 8-3 team make "All Conference", (and this isn't about UMD..could be any team)....it just seems like that's almost literally every starter on a team. Come on.

Comment

Zach Bohenkamp is the only one for the Wolves that I feel should have gotten a nod. Top 10 in pass defends and INTs

Comment

Glad to see Thuro Reisdorfer get some recognition. While he's not quite at Gabe Watson's level, he did a great job stepping up and (literally) carrying the load of USF's running attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Matt Witwicki
                  @WittD2Football

Stevens from UIU (WR) should be higher up than HM. I agree with the brunt of the selections....but 20 guys from UMD making the squad, on a down year....this is why they need an overall group and not this laundry list of selections. It's great for all the players, but it waters things down a lot. I could handle a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team....in an overall fashion....or 1st, 2nd, and HM. Just my own take. But when 20 guys from an 8-3 team make "All Conference", (and this isn't about UMD..could be any team)....it just seems like that's almost literally every starter on a team. Come on.
                  Agree. But who was the 2nd Team Coach of the year, Ass't Coach of the Year...?
                  Last edited by Clean Liver; 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Matt Witwicki
                    @WittD2Football39s
                    Glad to see OJ get the Coach, getting AU to 9 wins. So..Wayne and SMSU get 2 guys on the First Team D, USF gets none..? How about Brody Grantham? I was expecting to see Cole Schroedermeier (MSU-DB) on 1st team, does a lot for the top D. Having an overall list would be far better.

(additional thoughts)

You get a trophy. And you get a trophy...

Overall All-Conference, 1st, 2nd and HM.
                    You can stretch the 1st & 2nd team O/D from the current 12 to 15/16 to make sure deserving people are rewarded at the right level.

Coaches probably like this format though. They can certainly go sell a recruit about being all-conference!

Comment

Matt Witwicki
                      @WittD2Football39s

(additional thoughts)

Makes sense the best team in the division has the most, but 20 seams excessive. NSIC is a large conference, twice that of some others, so I like the divisional all-star lists. It's good for recognition and good for D2 recruiting. The players know that being honorable mention DB only means your on the bottom end the top 25 of DBs in the conference, and so on.

I'd support additionally rolling it up at the conference level but keep in mind that increases the politics. You can already see guys in there higher than they should be because someone said "oh crap, we have no one from this school in there".
                      Last edited by BIGvikingFan; 11-20-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

Perhaps, I don't know the kid. But you can rack up massive stats by ignoring your assignment and doing your own thing. When it works, you pad the stats. When it doesn't, the opponent gets yards and makes big plays, but that doesn't count against stats so you look like a stats superstar still. One of the reasons that overall performance of the defense should be a major factor.
                        fair point. That was not the case. It was just a weird oversight. that is all I am saying. He made plays all over the field.

Comment

Matt Witwicki
                          @WittD2Football39s

(additional thoughts)

Wondering why Cam gavin did not make at least 2nd Team. I checked the stats of 1st and 2nd Team Players at DB: Looks like 2-3 players he could have replaced. 3 DBs from 1 Team is a Stretch.
                          Games Tackles Solo Tackles
                          Assist
                          Total TFL Sack Int PBU 0 0 FF 0 0 Passes Defended
                          Rank compared to 1st and 2nd Team South DBs 4th T-4th T-5th NR NR 4th 1st 0 0 T-1 0 0 T-1st
                          Gavin, Cam
                          Winona St
                          10 34 13 47 0-0 0 3 9 0 0 1 0 0 12
                          1st Team South Games Tackles Solo Tackles
                          Assist
                          Total TFL Sack Int PBU 0 0 FF 0 0 Passes Defended
                          Eli Weber 11 44 16 60 7.5 1 4 8 0 0 FF 0 0 12
                          Jack Curtis 11 13 5 18 0.5 1 2 5 0 0 FF 0 0 7
                          Cory Hollowell 11 31 24 55 0.5 Sack Int 4 0 0 FF 0 0 4
                          Isaiah Hall 10 30 18 48 1 Sack 2 8 0 0 1 0 0 10
                          2nd Team South Games Tackles Solo Tackles
                          Assist
                          Total TFL Sack Int PBU 0 0 FF FR 0 Passes Defended
                          Cole Schroeder 11 37 9 46 0-0 1 4 2 0 0 1 1 0 6
                          Parrish Marrow 11 5 5 10 0-0 0-0 1 3 0 0 FF 0 0 4
                          Michael Kloza 10 32 12 44 5.5 1 0 5 0 0 FF 0 0 5
                          Tucker Stout 11 36 13 49 5 1 5 4 0 0 1 0 0 9

Comment

Matt Witwicki
                            @WittD2Football39s

(additional thoughts)

Agree UMD did have a down year, however the Bulldogs were still undefeated in the North Division, and beat everyone including BSU by significant margin, so I think 20 in the North is deserving. I could see an All NSICI" dream team" with all 16 teams, then having an All North and, All South, if they made the "dream Team" then they would not be on the All North or All South team.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

Agree UMD did have a down year, however the Bulldogs were still undefeated in the North Division, and beat everyone including BSU by significant margin, so I think 20 in the North is deserving. I could see an All NSICI" dream team" with all 16 teams, then having an All North and, All South, if they made the "dream Team" then they would not be on the All North or All South team.
                              This basically describes the difference between the divisions. Duluth lost 3/4 against south teams (two blowouts and one to Upper Iowa at HOME).

Not trying to start a North/South NSIC civil war, just pointing out how glaring it is this year especially.

Comment

Originally posted by Winona_20_20DB View Post

Wondering why Cam gavin did not make at least 2nd Team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X