X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DapperDan
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

My question would be, why? Charlie Walters is just looking for more attention.
    The why would be so they could wave the D1 flag. Isn't that why all these schools who have to know they will never have a chance do it?

Leave a comment:

• Umdfan35
    replied
    UMD 127 games 107-20 winning 84% 10 North division championships, 5 NSIC championships, 7 NCAA postseason appearances, 2 bowl games, and (drum roll please) 1 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. I would say, also very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied
    That is great to see. Apparently they have been recruiting a lot of individuals with good character, and have priorities in order. Hopefully that trend can continue.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Charlie Walters had a comment a few days ago that the non-scholarship Pioneer League might reach out to Mankato. Do you think that is something that would interest them? Could they do it and still be in NSIC? I suppose they could go the St. Cloud route and add men's soccer but that would screw up the balance with women I would think.
    I was at a D1 discussion meeting in early September where the speaker told us that Tarleton would be announcing soon. I didn't hear a lot of support for going D1. They would need some really big hitters to make that move and no one was excited about cutting any sports. I haven't heard any interest in going Pioneer, at least from the football people. The only people I've heard from that are interested in D1 are from basketball. The other sports would be against it.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Charlie Walters had a comment a few days ago that the non-scholarship Pioneer League might reach out to Mankato. Do you think that is something that would interest them? Could they do it and still be in NSIC? I suppose they could go the St. Cloud route and add men's soccer but that would screw up the balance with women I would think.
    My question would be, why? Charlie Walters is just looking for more attention.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    130 games of Mavericks Football played in the last decade with a record of 111-19 Winning 85%. 8 NSIC/South Division Championships, 7 NCAA Postseason Appearances, A Bowl Game, Regional Finalist, 4 Regional Championships & 2 National Finalists

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    130 games of Mavericks Football played in the last decade with a record of 111-19 Winning 85%. 8 NSIC/South Division Championships, 7 NCAA Postseason Appearances, A Bowl Game, Regional Finalist, 4 Regional Championships & 2 National Finalists

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied
    Originally posted by Abba View Post
    Already looking forward to 2020. The backups all got got some valuable playing time this year and played in the playoffs atmosphere, which is huge. MSU will reload. It will also be interesting to see if any coaches move on. Could change things a bit if some do.
    Agree. Hope they can reload and continue the success. Good point about the coaches; it is very possible one or more may get a good offer at another institution.

Leave a comment:

• Abba
    replied
    Already looking forward to 2020. The backups all got got some valuable playing time this year and played in the playoffs atmosphere, which is huge. MSU will reload. It will also be interesting to see if any coaches move on. Could change things a bit if some do.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Yes..they certainly should be a the favorite again. None of the other top squads that may challenge them are completely ready. USF has to replace a QB that became a star, while they will return Watson at RB and has quite the double barrel rushing attack. Winona loses a good amount on D. Augie has to figure out if Saddler is the guy..but will return a lot on D. UMD should be strong again, but needs to establish more playmakers on offense. BSU is a wildcard team..if they can get more consistent offensively.

That all said....the Mavs are still the favorite yes, but probably not in as lopsided of fashion as the last few years.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    Quick thoughts on MSU for next year..

Massive losses with Gunn and Zylstra..and both star LB's gone.

The QB position could be interesting. Ekowa can run, but I wouldn't call him a fantastic runner like mentioned earlier here. Todd moved away from the 2 QB thing in crunch time (entire 4th quarter)..is this foreshadowing maybe going with just 1 dude and letting them get full confidence..?

OL mostly comes back..that's big.

The passing game and who becomes "the dude" is a huge concern if I'm a Mavs fan. Sleezer will be a star at RB..so I think that transition goes fairly smooth. A blueprint has been made on how to attack the Mavs D....but few teams will have the QB and wideouts to replicate what UWF did. If I'm the Mavs, I'd really focusing on getting some good sized corners who can run well..as that could change their defense quite a bit. UWF did a good job of moving the game away from the point of attack (where the Mavs are really strong). We have seen really not-great QB play in the conference the last few years..so that Mavs haven't gotten tested that way, especially on a fast track. USF did that..and it kinda hurt the Mavs, not seeing more of that.

Certainly MSU doesn't bring back all the weapons like they have each of the last two seasons....so if there's a year where an Augie or USF will get them..it might be 2020, as they re-load. There should be no shortage of guys competing for key spots on both sides of the ball..to ensure that MSU doesn't make a half step back and lose a game or two in conference.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Quick thoughts on MSU for next year..

Massive losses with Gunn and Zylstra..and both star LB's gone.

The QB position could be interesting. Ekowa can run, but I wouldn't call him a fantastic runner like mentioned earlier here. Todd moved away from the 2 QB thing in crunch time (entire 4th quarter)..is this foreshadowing maybe going with just 1 dude and letting them get full confidence..?

OL mostly comes back..that's big.

The passing game and who becomes "the dude" is a huge concern if I'm a Mavs fan. Sleezer will be a star at RB..so I think that transition goes fairly smooth. A blueprint has been made on how to attack the Mavs D....but few teams will have the QB and wideouts to replicate what UWF did. If I'm the Mavs, I'd really focusing on getting some good sized corners who can run well..as that could change their defense quite a bit. UWF did a good job of moving the game away from the point of attack (where the Mavs are really strong). We have seen really not-great QB play in the conference the last few years..so that Mavs haven't gotten tested that way, especially on a fast track. USF did that..and it kinda hurt the Mavs, not seeing more of that.

Certainly MSU doesn't bring back all the weapons like they have each of the last two seasons....so if there's a year where an Augie or USF will get them..it might be 2020, as they re-load. There should be no shortage of guys competing for key spots on both sides of the ball..to ensure that MSU doesn't make a half step back and lose a game or two in conference.

Leave a comment:

• msumavfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X