Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I didn't know Shane had a baby, that's cool! I could see him taking the Brandon route and going up north for a while, probably a lot harder to do with a child though. Whatever he ends up doing, football or not - I'm sure he'll do great at it! I'm just glad I have a new NSIC player to collect cards for - Adam Thielen is way too expensive, and I already completed my Wayne Hawkins collection :D

I'm a little torn on the Saints. MN is really starved for affiliated ball and they are an excellent candidate. However, I really liked the position they created for themselves in indy ball - most teams could only dream of reaching those heights, even many affiliated clubs. In any case, it will sure be exciting!

Comment

• Wow, that's cool. Good for him!

We've definitely been starved for affiliated ball for the last 50-ish years. Mankato shut down in the late 1960s and I think the Northern League as a whole wasn't too far behind. The Saints are the smartest choice considering logistics, infrastructure, and fan support - though I agree, they will lose some of that "wackiness" that made them relevant in the first place. They also gave a lot of opportunity to local guys, which won't be happening as much anymore. That being said, I am definitely excited.

I've always maintained with UST that they will have a honeymoon period and then their attendance will dip back down to what it was previously for the most part. I think once the general population realizes the D1 nametag doesn't come with the big games and national recognition, interest will slowly wain. Hockey would get a big boost though, IMO. Still exciting to have another option.

I do think we are getting bloated though. We are a relatively small market, yet we have MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, FBS, FCS, NCHC/CCHA, MLS, MiLB, CWL for "major" programs. The NSIC, MIAC, and NWL tend to have a decent amount of fan interest, and then of course there is the MSHSL as well. Nevertheless, the landscape of MN sports these past 5 years has been interesting, and the next 5 years look interesting as well.

Comment

Wow, that's cool. Good for him!

We've definitely been starved for affiliated ball for the last 50-ish years. Mankato shut down in the late 1960s and I think the Northern League as a whole wasn't too far behind. The Saints are the smartest choice considering logistics, infrastructure, and fan support - though I agree, they will lose some of that "wackiness" that made them relevant in the first place. They also gave a lot of opportunity to local guys, which won't be happening as much anymore. That being said, I am definitely excited.

I've always maintained with UST that they will have a honeymoon period and then their attendance will dip back down to what it was previously for the most part. I think once the general population realizes the D1 nametag doesn't come with the big games and national recognition, interest will slowly wain. Hockey would get a big boost though, IMO. Still exciting to have another option.

I do think we are getting bloated though. We are a relatively small market, yet we have MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, FBS, FCS, NCHC/CCHA, MLS, MiLB, CWL for "major" programs. The NSIC, MIAC, and NWL tend to have a decent amount of fan interest, and then of course there is the MSHSL as well. Nevertheless, the landscape of MN sports these past 5 years has been interesting, and the next 5 years look interesting as well.
        You forgot the WNBA ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

You forgot the WNBA ;)
          So many teams I can't even keep them all straight!

There's also the NAHL, NA3HL, UMAC/NCHA, and MCAC - though I'm not sure how much support they all get. I know there's interest in getting an USHL team into Minnesota as well. I wonder when we'll have "too much," when the MLL tries to establish a franchise here again? haha

Comment

So many teams I can't even keep them all straight!

There's also the NAHL, NA3HL, UMAC/NCHA, and MCAC - though I'm not sure how much support they all get. I know there's interest in getting an USHL team into Minnesota as well. I wonder when we'll have "too much," when the MLL tries to establish a franchise here again? haha
            Don't forget the Minnesota Curling Association.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

Don't forget the Minnesota Curling Association.
              The biggest of them all! Roller Derby exists here too. I think there is a team in New Ulm.

Comment

The biggest of them all! Roller Derby exists here too. I think there is a team in New Ulm.
                There was before Covid anyway. I used to hear Brian Filzen talk to the gals on Friday mornings at 6:50 about their events.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

There was before Covid anyway. I used to hear Brian Filzen talk to the gals on Friday mornings at 6:50 about their events.
                  I'm still in pre-Covid mode in terms of my knowledge on sports, haha.

Comment

• Former Maverick Anders Gelecinskyj (who was on the Mavericks in 2016) just made a 30 yard field goal in what I believe is his time seeing action as the gophers are down 33 players due to covid protocols. Happy to see him get on the field!

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                      Former Maverick Anders Gelecinskyj (who was on the Mavericks in 2016) just made a 30 yard field goal in what I believe is his time seeing action as the gophers are down 33 players due to covid protocols. Happy to see him get on the field!
                      It appears he will be the kicker for the rest of the game. Just came in to kick the PAT.

Comment

• Brayden Thomas is transferring to NDSU as a Grad Transfer to join former mav Michael Beatow. Best of luck to him!

https://t.co/STn0dgit7n

Comment

• Coach Hoffner on the possibilities of games this spring. & Morningside from the NAIA.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo..._medium=social

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                            Coach Hoffner on the possibilities of games this spring. & Morningside from the NAIA.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo..._medium=social
                            laker I hope your team gets those games in this Spring. Go Mavericks!
                            Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

• I got bored a few weeks back so I wrote a letter to a bunch of active NFL players from the NSIC - pretty much everyone except for Adam Thielen and Brandon Zylstra. Unfortunately I had the wrong address for Trey Pipkins, so that one was returned to me. I'll try again next season.

Anyway, Chris Reed was the first to respond to me - and he wrote me a full-page letter of his own. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but to get a full-page letter from an active NFL player is pretty unique, and exciting!

Comment

• Big news- Mav OC is leaving for NDSU to become their running backs coach.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2021/1...all-staff.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X