Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's only fair. I was wondering about that, so thank you for sharing!
    I'm glad they are doing this. I've been wanting to go for a while and Mankato seems like the place to do it for me. Might be a good afternoon for some chocolate milk.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

I'm glad they are doing this. I've been wanting to go for a while and Mankato seems like the place to do it for me. Might be a good afternoon for some chocolate milk.
      It's a really cool event. Going in-person is much better than watching it on TV, so I highly recommend it. My suggestion is to take in as many of the games as your cold tolerance/schedule will allow. It has a state-tournament style atmosphere, and each team brings in a lot of their own fans. Obviously, the views at the Blake will be unmatched either. Mankato is going to be a great host city.

Another thing to consider as well - BSU played Michigan Tech outside on the HDM rink in 2019 the night before. I intend to go if MSU does something similar, but just a heads up in case that's something you might be interested in as well.

My hope is they bring down two powerhouse AA teams from the Cities, and then showcase East v. West for the A game. Both will draw huge crowds.

Comment

It's a really cool event. Going in-person is much better than watching it on TV, so I highly recommend it. My suggestion is to take in as many of the games as your cold tolerance/schedule will allow. It has a state-tournament style atmosphere, and each team brings in a lot of their own fans. Obviously, the views at the Blake will be unmatched either. Mankato is going to be a great host city.

Another thing to consider as well - BSU played Michigan Tech outside on the HDM rink in 2019 the night before. I intend to go if MSU does something similar, but just a heads up in case that's something you might be interested in as well.

My hope is they bring down two powerhouse AA teams from the Cities, and then showcase East v. West for the A game. Both will draw huge crowds.
        Did they ever release the schedule for 2021 or did they cancel it before they had one? I'm hoping there is an outdoor game between with Mankato vs Duluth, St Cloud or Bemidji.

Comment

Did they ever release the schedule for 2021 or did they cancel it before they had one? I'm hoping there is an outdoor game between with Mankato vs Duluth, St Cloud or Bemidji.
          It was cancelled before a schedule got released. In years past, it was usually late summer when they would announce the teams, and this year, that was full blown COVID time.
          Millsy

Comment

I don't believe so. I was just speculating on matchups.

They've expanded it too, which I wasn't aware of - they added a D1 women's game and they've gotten creative by adding in alumni games, so next year's schedule will be interesting. The official schedule lists 3-5 games from 2007-2016, and 7-9 games from 2017-2020. It's gone from a one day event to three. Though I believe they try to run a bunch of games on the rink during the week, if I'm correct.

I went in 2015 because Luverne was in the event - they took St. Paul Johnson to the wire. It's crazy looking back because Luverne had at least two D1 players, and a big time coach. Those peak Cardinal years were a blast and really grew hockey out here.
            Last edited by SW_Mustang; 03-02-2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Question for anyone reading this regarding the feature college game (men's):

My one gripe with HDM is that FSN clearly favors the Gophers and Huskies. The U has hosted 11* games, and SCSU has hosted 4**. Despite having hosted the event, both BSU and UMD have not gotten to host that game specifically, and I fear the same for MSU.

Obviously coordinating schedules is the main reason - but besides that, why is FSN so reluctant to showcase other teams? Is it because of broadcasting deals, or is it because of viewership? I understand the former, but the latter kinda defeats the purpose. HDM should showcase the entire state, and not just the same 1-2 teams, when we have 5. Also - the Gophers aren't the #1 team in the state anymore, and I'd argue the Huskies aren't #2 either, which makes it even more weird.

Anyway - just one nag I have. It would be cool under this expanded 2-3 day format if they could shoehorn in a D3 game and/or an NAHL game too.

(*Counting '08/'17 (which is ridiculous in it's own right), **Counting '09 even though it was probably a Gophers broadcast and the game happened to be played at SCSU)

Comment

Question for anyone reading this regarding the feature college game (men's):

My one gripe with HDM is that FSN clearly favors the Gophers and Huskies. The U has hosted 11* games, and SCSU has hosted 4**. Despite having hosted the event, both BSU and UMD have not gotten to host that game specifically, and I fear the same for MSU.

Obviously coordinating schedules is the main reason - but besides that, why is FSN so reluctant to showcase other teams? Is it because of broadcasting deals, or is it because of viewership? I understand the former, but the latter kinda defeats the purpose. HDM should showcase the entire state, and not just the same 1-2 teams, when we have 5. Also - the Gophers aren't the #1 team in the state anymore, and I'd argue the Huskies aren't #2 either, which makes it even more weird.

Anyway - just one nag I have. It would be cool under this expanded 2-3 day format if they could shoehorn in a D3 game and/or an NAHL game too.

(*Counting '08/'17 (which is ridiculous in it's own right), **Counting '09 even though it was probably a Gophers broadcast and the game happened to be played at SCSU)
                Does the U of North Dakota have their own deal for hockey coverage? The FSN map shows network coverage in MN, SD, & ND. One would think they would want to showcase UND some too but guessing they arent allowed too.
                My hope is that the U isn't involved in Hockey Day at all but I'm sure they will find a way to show them playing Penn State at 4 with the Wild on at 7:30

Comment

Does the U of North Dakota have their own deal for hockey coverage? The FSN map shows network coverage in MN, SD, & ND. One would think they would want to showcase UND some too but guessing they arent allowed too.
                  My hope is that the U isn't involved in Hockey Day at all but I'm sure they will find a way to show them playing Penn State at 4 with the Wild on at 7:30
                  It's Hockey Day Minnesota, we don't need a school from across the river when there are five D-I programs, soon to be six, in Minnesota. :)

While the BSU men didn't get a feature game during HDM, the women's program did. The issue is that FSN only covers Saturday, and there are only so many games they can fit in. Start at 9 or 10 AM, two and half hours for a high school game, three hours for a college game (including about a half hour between games and hope for no overtimes), there is only room for five games during the broadcast day if two games are high school and three are college/pro. While I do think the Goofers get preferential treatment, I also realize there are only so many slots in the day. I think FSN does a pretty decent job of showcasing as much of Minnesota Hockey as they can.
                  Millsy

Comment

Not sure, I would assume they are broadcast locally and on NCHC's streaming service - but FSN did broadcast UND basketball games a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

It's Hockey Day Minnesota, we don't need a school from across the river when there are five D-I programs, soon to be six, in Minnesota. :)

While the BSU men didn't get a feature game during HDM, the women's program did. The issue is that FSN only covers Saturday, and there are only so many games they can fit in. Start at 9 or 10 AM, two and half hours for a high school game, three hours for a college game (including about a half hour between games and hope for no overtimes), there is only room for five games during the broadcast day if two games are high school and three are college/pro. While I do think the Goofers get preferential treatment, I also realize there are only so many slots in the day. I think FSN does a pretty decent job of showcasing as much of Minnesota Hockey as they can.
                      They do a good job of it, but the "State of Hockey" at the college level is more than the Gophs - it would be nice if they swapped them out for someone else every couple of years. It gets worse when two of the games weren't even played in MN. I'd have to imagine that at least one of the other four were at home those days. It's not a big deal, it's just nice to see someone else play besides the Gophs every now and again. I suppose I'd rather see the Gophs play than Wisconsin at Arizona State or something...

As for DIII/NAHL, they could broadcast them on FSN+ or something. It doesn't need a feature spot or anything, just be nice to somehow include them in the mix. Otherwise, they do a great job of capturing what they set out too.

Comment

St. Thomas will be the opponent for the Mavs.

Minnesota State University to play University of St. Thomas in HDM 2022 (nhl.com)

Not a huge fan of that choice, but it's probably based on conference scheduling. Should hopefully be an easy win for MSU.

Comment

St. Thomas will be the opponent for the Mavs.

Minnesota State University to play University of St. Thomas in HDM 2022 (nhl.com)

Not a huge fan of that choice, but it's probably based on conference scheduling. Should hopefully be an easy win for MSU.
                          The only thing better then a St.Thomas loss is witnessing that loss in person, can't wait!!!

Comment

The only thing better then a St.Thomas loss is witnessing that loss in person, can't wait!!!
                            Very true!

I was hoping for a rival like Bemidji or something, but a quick win against a school I don't really like will be satisfying as well.

Comment

I see St Thomas is dropping Men's and Women's Tennis

Comment

Very true!

I was hoping for a rival like Bemidji or something, but a quick win against a school I don't really like will be satisfying as well.
                                I wonder if they didn't want to have a conference game be played on an outdoor rink with uncontrollable ice conditions. The Nhl had problems with their games this year and they have a bigger budget to play with.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X