Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Question for anyone. Both Dordt and Northwestern are church schools- the Christian Reformed Church. I know that the Lutherans had a whole bunch of branches but was wondering why there were two colleges so close together- 12 miles apart.
    It’s because they are affiliated with different branches of the Reformed Church. Dordt is affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church in North America, while Northwestern is affiliated with the Reformed Church in America. Growing up in a “Dutch” community, I recall there are some differences and one of the Reforms thought they were just a little better (or more religious) than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by cougar1997 View Post

It’s because they are affiliated with different branches of the Reformed Church. Dordt is affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church in North America, while Northwestern is affiliated with the Reformed Church in America. Growing up in a “Dutch” community, I recall there are some differences and one of the Reforms thought they were just a little better (or more religious) than the other.
      The Christian Reformed Church (CRC) split from the Reformed Church in America (then known as the Dutch Reformed Church) in an 1857 secession. This was rooted in part as a result of a theological dispute that originated in the Netherlands when Hendrik De Kok was deposed for his Calvinist convictions, leading there to the Secession of 1834–35. For the CRC founders in America, the RCA at the time appeared to contain problems similar to the State Church in the old country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ..._North_America
      Bring back Humboldt State football.

Comment

Originally posted by cougar1997 View Post

But both thought they were "better" than us Baptist heathens in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-05-Austin-Powers-in-Goldmember.png Views:	9 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	538844
          There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
          Last edited by Augie Skyhook; 10-20-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

But both thought they were "better" than us Baptist heathens in Sioux Falls.
            I've been to Sioux Falls. For a bunch of heathens, you've done a great job. Nice city!

Last edited by crixus; 10-20-2020, 10:03 AM.
            Bring back Humboldt State football.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I've been to Sioux Falls. For a bunch of heathens, you've done a great job. Nice city!

Probably the most beautiful city park I've ever visited. Friendly town and an easy-to-navigate airport. Only thing wrong with SF's is that they closed Senor Weiner. :-)

Comment

If the prediction holds that it will be at least 50 degrees and dry on Halloween I might repeat my trip to Dordt to see Morningside in the first half and then to Northwestern to see Midland (for the first time in any sport) on Saturday.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X