Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

UMary grad Tim Miles has made a name for himself as a program builder. It seems like schools are over his ability. I thought he would get more of a look at the UNLV job. Hopefully he gets another sniff some where soon.
    Yeah, I'd like to see him get back into coaching eventually. He definitely built our program up in the short time he was here.

It's interesting because it seems like a lot of his former assistants, like Ben Johnson, are getting coaching jobs. He must be a good mentor.

I'm not going to claim to know the first thing about college basketball, but it seems to me that Miles gets bad press for some of his records - but I think even though those might not be great, they are a big improvement over what the program was when he got there. Someone probably needs that type of ability.

Comment

I know we probably all saw it/heard about it, but honorary Mustang Trey Lance was selected #3 overall last night by the San Francisco 49ers.

I was watching on ABC and after his name was called, they did a short video package on his dad Carlton partially highlighting his SMSU career. I know Trey also name dropped SMSU in his interview with Dan Patrick before the draft.

It might be kinda cheesy, but seeing Matke Field in these highlight videos and hearing Trey talk about SMSU is really kinda neat. Hopefully someday soon, the Mustangs can be represented in the NFL by one of their alumni. We've gotten close, but never actually crossed that line. Here's hoping!

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
        I know we probably all saw it/heard about it, but honorary Mustang Trey Lance was selected #3 overall last night by the San Francisco 49ers.

I was watching on ABC and after his name was called, they did a short video package on his dad Carlton partially highlighting his SMSU career. I know Trey also name dropped SMSU in his interview with Dan Patrick before the draft.

It might be kinda cheesy, but seeing Matke Field in these highlight videos and hearing Trey talk about SMSU is really kinda neat. Hopefully someday soon, the Mustangs can be represented in the NFL by one of their alumni. We've gotten close, but never actually crossed that line. Here's hoping!
        It's pretty cool to have a guy from Marshall going as the #3 pick in the draft. Back in the 80's I recall SMSU was a powerful NAIA team and beat Augie, SMSU had a stud player somewhere on offense. I'm thinking at WR or RB, do you know who that would be?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

It's pretty cool to have a guy from Marshall going as the #3 pick in the draft. Back in the 80's I recall SMSU was a powerful NAIA team and beat Augie, SMSU had a stud player somewhere on offense. I'm thinking at WR or RB, do you know who that would be?
          I checked the history - SMSU and Augie first met in 1990, and again in 1991 (according to our records). SMSU won both of those.

Granted, it's hard to narrow it down given how the '90-'91 teams were stacked - so it's either Alvin Ashley, Wayne Hawkins, Walter Sutton, or possibly Robert Lipsey. Jeff Loots was the QB and also did a lot of running around.

Interesting side note, I wasn't aware of Lipsey at all - just the others, but he's currently ranked #4 on the all-time rushing list. This is is son, Tamin.

Tamin Lipsey, Ames, Point Guard (247sports.com)
          Last edited by SW_Mustang; 04-30-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Here's where some of those guys ended up, for anyone interested:

-Wayne Hawkins was drafted #176 overall by the New England Patriots in 1992, and spent a couple years on their practice roster.

-Walter Sutton would put up a 4.28 40 yard time and would be drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in 1991 as a WR, the same year as QB Brett Favre. Unfortunately, this pick is regarded as being one of the more odd ones in NFL history, if not the oddest. It's why he doesn't get a lot of acknowledgement from the school.

-Jeff Loots was ranked the #7 QB going into the 1993 NFL Draft, and the #1 sleeper pick (both by Mel Kiper). He would not be drafted, and instead went to the CFL for two seasons before joining the AFL. He'd compete against Kurt Warner for the Iowa Barnstormers' starting spot at one point.

-Alvin Ashley would play in the AFL for 10 years.

Also, Trey Lance's dad, Carlton was on the defense during that time. He'd play a season in the CFL (earning All-Rookie Team Honors) and a season in the WFL before attending training camp with the Houston Oilers and the San Francisco 49ers.

Hawkins and Lance are the only two guys in SMSU history that I'm aware of to have a pack-issued trading card.

Comment

The game I remember was SMSU 31-30 win in Marshall with 3900 fans in attendance, as I was there. You had a very fast WR, must have been Sutton. That team would have competed well in the NCC both in 90' and 91'. In 1990 we beat SDSU 39-0. 1991 you beat AC 28-10 in Sioux Falls. 1991 was an awful year for the Vikings finishing 0-10.

Comment

Patrick flubbed it, calling it Southwest Missouri State. Trey proudly corrected him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Patrick flubbed it, calling it Southwest Missouri State. Trey proudly corrected him.
                  Oh nice, the SMSU football social media pages just posted the exact clip of him saying the school name so I didn't get any context.

Comment

Boyer Bouman made a cameo in a LA Rams video - though it's for OLB Chris Garrett.

2021 NFL Draft Highlights: OLB Chris Garrett | Pick 252 - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                      The game I remember was SMSU 31-30 win in Marshall with 3900 fans in attendance, as I was there. You had a very fast WR, must have been Sutton. That team would have competed well in the NCC both in 90' and 91'. In 1990 we beat SDSU 39-0. 1991 you beat AC 28-10 in Sioux Falls. 1991 was an awful year for the Vikings finishing 0-10.
                      Yeah, that was probably him then. Easily the biggest "what if" in school history - the Falcons clearly thought highly enough of his talent given the risk involved in drafting him, and having Brett Favre as his QB would have been awesome.

He did make it on the field for the Tampa Bay Storm of the AFL in 1997 for a handful of receptions, for whatever that's worth.

I think we're 3-23 against Augie. You guys have a great football program. I look forward to the game every year, much like Mankato. They usually tend to be competitive games.

Comment

Was not expecting to see this today.

Curious as to who will take over in the interim.

Chris Hmielewski announces resignation as SMSU Director of Athletics - SMSU Athletics (smsumustangs.com)

Comment

Was not expecting to see this today.

Curious as to who will take over in the interim.

Chris Hmielewski announces resignation as SMSU Director of Athletics - SMSU Athletics (smsumustangs.com)
                          I would agree, this was a surprise. Gut feeling that they will promote from within. Maybe they should hire MrMustang?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I would agree, this was a surprise. Gut feeling that they will promote from within. Maybe they should hire MrMustang?
                            Ha - that would be kinda neat. He gets my vote!

My gut feeling is that the separation is on good terms, based on the long article - but I don't know for certain. I certainly wish him the best moving forward.

It would be nice if we could find a replacement who is local/alumni instead of dragging in some assistant from a bigger school. My wish list simply includes someone who will support facility upkeep/upgrades, and someone who will fight to prevent sports from being cut. Preferably someone with some marketing acumen.

Not saying Chris wasn't those things, just saying that's what I want from the new guy.

Comment

MrMustang aint gonna get hired. he ain't woke enough

Comment

Jesse Nelson turned in his resignation today too.

I think it's just a coincidence, but still a couple of tough blows to the department.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X