• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laker
    replied
    Re: UST

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
    The Augie situation is strange. It's like they told the conference they are breaking up, but not until they find someone new.
    Sounds like Prom! :laugh:

Leave a comment:

• Grizzled LU
    replied

I'm sure that the NSIC doesn't simply want to be a parking place for a future D1 program, but if St. Thomas wants to make the full move they should begin playing chess at this point. Don't know if Tom Douple is playing the long game, but he should be. Frankly the WAC, dumpster fire that it is, is much more proactive in bringing D2 programs in than the Summit has been. The NSIC should be looking at St. Thomas as a pass through member while they work on nabbing somebody else. UNK is a long bus ride for the MIAA and might be a slightly better match for the NSIC--although it's a miserable drive either way. Maybe Morningside is another option, too successful to stay NAIA.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I know some people feel strongly about the no conference games, but, had the closest D2 conferences had smaller league sizes with nonconference games, St. Thomas might've been able to get away with being a D2 Independent. But I don't know if they'd find enough games between the RMAC, GLIAC and GLVC to fill their schedule....
    Maybe this will be the tipping point in the upper Midwest that spoits conferences...unless UST makes it very clear they are on their way to D1 asap, then the NSIC may hold on

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

I know some people feel strongly about the no conference games, but, had the closest D2 conferences had smaller league sizes with nonconference games, St. Thomas might've been able to get away with being a D2 Independent. But I don't know if they'd find enough games between the RMAC, GLIAC and GLVC to fill their schedule....

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Okay so let's just play devil's advocate here for a minute. UST gets booted...they don't get offered by any other D3 conferences. They get offered by NSIC and jump up, but Augie has not officially left yet and does not seem to have an offer from a D1 conference as of yet that is public knowledge.
    Does the NSIC work with 17 teams for a few seasons? Possibly a long while. I don't see it working football wise. I see the beginning of a rift to the NSIC beginning quickly. I could also see the NSIC holding on for dear life trying to adjust to allow for 17 teams in the conference until UST and Augie move to D1 together in 8 years.
    Just playing devil's advocate
    The Augie situation is strange. It's like they told the conference they are breaking up, but not until they find someone new.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    It would also be an interesting experiment.
    To see how a 17 team conference works?

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

It would also be an interesting experiment.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    The NSIC is under no obligation to take UST so I wouldn't worry. It'll be sweet sixteen for awhile. I think that the NSIC powers that be have contingency plans- they've already talked about how they would run football with 15 teams.
    I think UST would be offered immediately, and I think they should be as it actually brings in a market that CSP should be tapping for us but does not. NSIC would actually get publicity for a while

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

My thoughts exactly, though my main concern is that Augie doesn't get moved up but the NSIC adds UST anyway. That's 17 teams in an already bloated conference
    The NSIC is under no obligation to take UST so I wouldn't worry. It'll be sweet sixteen for awhile. I think that the NSIC powers that be have contingency plans- they've already talked about how they would run football with 15 teams.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    I can't think of a D3 conference that would take UST. They don't fit the footprint of the WIAC as a private school.

Augie will be in the NSIC for at least next year- and UST will be MIAC at least that long.

If you hear that Purdue-Ft Wayne is leaving the Summit for the Horizon a la IUPUI, then look for Augie to announce. But not until then.
    My thoughts exactly, though my main concern is that Augie doesn't get moved up but the NSIC adds UST anyway. That's 17 teams in an already bloated conference

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

UST gets booted...they don't get offered by any other D3 conferences. They get offered by NSIC and jump up, but Augie has not officially left yet and does not seem to have an offer from a D1 conference as of yet that is public knowledge.
    I can't think of a D3 conference that would take UST. They don't fit the footprint of the WIAC as a private school.

Augie will be in the NSIC for at least next year- and UST will be MIAC at least that long.

If you hear that Purdue-Ft Wayne is leaving the Summit for the Horizon a la IUPUI, then look for Augie to announce. But not until then.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Okay so let's just play devil's advocate here for a minute. UST gets booted...they don't get offered by any other D3 conferences. They get offered by NSIC and jump up, but Augie has not officially left yet and does not seem to have an offer from a D1 conference as of yet that is public knowledge.
    Does the NSIC work with 17 teams for a few seasons? Possibly a long while. I don't see it working football wise. I see the beginning of a rift to the NSIC beginning quickly. I could also see the NSIC holding on for dear life trying to adjust to allow for 17 teams in the conference until UST and Augie move to D1 together in 8 years.
    Just playing devil's advocate

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
    You are correct. Travel will always be the BIGGEST problem at any level below D-I. Trips like Minot to UIU, or vice versa :smile-big:, is a prime NSIC example. I attended a BHSU @ Dixie State a season or two ago. That's a prime example in the RMAC, imo. Very tough on the players.
    Definitely. Expenses are high and getting higher; extensive travel exacerbates the situation. And the time away from home for the student-athletes in all sports.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
    Someone on the D3 board suggested the ARC (formerly IIAC).
    Naw. UST doesn't fit with those schools at all. Same with the UMAC, who would never invite them. UST would dominate those conferences much more than they do the MIAC.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

St. Thomas would destroy that conference

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X