Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFCA Division II Coaches Top 25 (10/11)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AFCA Division II Coaches Top 25 (10/11)

    Down 16-0 with 10:39 left to go in the third quarter, Northwest Missouri State outscored Pittsburg State (Kan.) 20-3 for the rest of the game to earn a 20-19 come-from-behind victory. Now 5-0 on the season, the Bearcats stay No. 2 in the AFCA Division II Coaches’ Top 25 Poll and will travel to Washburn (Kan.) on October 16 to face the Ichabods.

    There was no change in the Top 10 this week, with West Florida still holding the top spot after a dominating 52-10 victory over North Greenville (S.C.). That might not be the case next week as three of the Top 4 teams will face ranked opponents. Starting off the action is No. 1 West Florida hosting No. 12 West Georgia, then No. 3 Ferris State (Mich.) travels to No. 7 Grand Valley State (Mich.) and finally No. 4 Valdosta State (Ga.) travels to No. 10 West Alabama.

    After adding two new programs to the list of ranked teams in the history of the AFCA Division II Coaches' Top 25 Poll last week, we have another one this week. Western Colorado joins the list, coming in at No. 24. The Mountaineers are 5-1 after beating New Mexico Highlands, 45-38. Also of note is No. 23 Wayne State (NE) being ranked for the first time since October 10, 2011.

    AFCA Division II Top 25 (10/11)
    1. West Florida (30) (5-0)
    2. Northwest Missouri State (5-0)
    3. Ferris State (5-0)
    4. Valdosta State (5-0)
    5. Colorado School of Mines (6-0)
    6. Slippery Rock (6-0)
    7. Grand Valley State (5-0)
    8. Wingate (5-0)
    9. Henderson State (6-0)
    10. West Alabama (6-0)
    11. Ouachita Baptist (5-1)
    12. West Georgia (5-1)
    13. California (PA) (6-0)
    14. Notre Dame College (5-1)
    15. Shepherd (5-1)
    16. Bowie State (5-1)
    17. Bentley (6-0)
    18. Minnesota-Duluth (5-1)
    19. Midwestern State (5-1)
    20. Harding (5-1)
    21. Nebraska-Kearney (5-1)
    22. Augustana (5-1)
    23. Wayne State (NE) (5-1)

    24. Western Colorado (5-1)
    25. Kutztown (5-1)

    Others Receiving Votes
    Indiana (PA), Frostburg State, Truman State, Minnesota State-Mankato, Southeastern Oklahoma State, Charleston, Pittsburg State, Albany State, Angelo State, Chowan, Washburn, Colorado State-Pueblo, Colorado Mesa, Shippensburg, Ohio Dominican, Indianapolis, Savannah State


  • #2
    Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Down 16-0 with 10:39 left to go in the third quarter, Northwest Missouri State outscored Pittsburg State (Kan.) 20-3 for the rest of the game to earn a 20-19 come-from-behind victory. Now 5-0 on the season, the Bearcats stay No. 2 in the AFCA Division II Coaches’ Top 25 Poll and will travel to Washburn (Kan.) on October 16 to face the Ichabods.

    There was no change in the Top 10 this week, with West Florida still holding the top spot after a dominating 52-10 victory over North Greenville (S.C.). That might not be the case next week as three of the Top 4 teams will face ranked opponents. Starting off the action is No. 1 West Florida hosting No. 12 West Georgia, then No. 3 Ferris State (Mich.) travels to No. 7 Grand Valley State (Mich.) and finally No. 4 Valdosta State (Ga.) travels to No. 10 West Alabama.

    After adding two new programs to the list of ranked teams in the history of the AFCA Division II Coaches' Top 25 Poll last week, we have another one this week. Western Colorado joins the list, coming in at No. 24. The Mountaineers are 5-1 after beating New Mexico Highlands, 45-38. Also of note is No. 23 Wayne State (NE) being ranked for the first time since October 10, 2011.

    AFCA Division II Top 25 (10/11)
    1. West Florida (30) (5-0)
    2. Northwest Missouri State (5-0)
    3. Ferris State (5-0)
    4. Valdosta State (5-0)
    5. Colorado School of Mines (6-0)
    6. Slippery Rock (6-0)
    7. Grand Valley State (5-0)
    8. Wingate (5-0)
    9. Henderson State (6-0)
    10. West Alabama (6-0)
    11. Ouachita Baptist (5-1)
    12. West Georgia (5-1)
    13. California (PA) (6-0)
    14. Notre Dame College (5-1)
    15. Shepherd (5-1)
    16. Bowie State (5-1)
    17. Bentley (6-0)
    18. Minnesota-Duluth (5-1)
    19. Midwestern State (5-1)
    20. Harding (5-1)
    21. Nebraska-Kearney (5-1)
    22. Augustana (5-1)
    23. Wayne State (NE) (5-1)

    24. Western Colorado (5-1)
    25. Kutztown (5-1)

    Others Receiving Votes
    Indiana (PA), Frostburg State, Truman State, Minnesota State-Mankato, Southeastern Oklahoma State, Charleston, Pittsburg State, Albany State, Angelo State, Chowan, Washburn, Colorado State-Pueblo, Colorado Mesa, Shippensburg, Ohio Dominican, Indianapolis, Savannah State
    When was the last time Wayne was ranked? Weren’t they at one point ranked #1 in the 2000’s I think?
    Last edited by Twincitiesmav; 10-11-2021, 03:00 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

      When was the last time Wayne was ranked? I know at one point they were ranked #1 in the 2000’s I think?
      Might want to read your quoted post again... ;)

      Comment


      • #4
        Do these pollsters pay any attention to head to head?

        Wayne won AT UMD and AT MSU.

        I know that polls are just for fun- except the regional ones- but still..........

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

          Might want to read your quoted post again... ;)
          Good catch lol. I was on my prep and was trying to get a reply in too quickly :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Wayne should be ranked higher. Maybe they feel there's too much uncertainty? Not sure how given they just took down both big boys in their conference...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              Wayne should be ranked higher. Maybe they feel there's too much uncertainty? Not sure how given they just took down both big boys in their conference...
              You can bet their coach will be in the discussion for national D2 coach of the year.

              Comment


              • #8
                Wayne should have jumped above Augustana and Duluth, makes me think pollsters don't look at schedules. IMO Duluth is still living of of their past NC as they seem to be ranked higher then often deserved.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                  Wayne should be ranked higher. Maybe they feel there's too much uncertainty? Not sure how given they just took down both big boys in their conference...
                  Good thing that will sort itself out this weekend. All depends on which Sadler shows up. I spent some time looking into Wayne. It's cool their top producers/tacklers are local or at least Midwest. Builds a comradery that's hard to beat. I'll be pulling for them after this week.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    Wayne should have jumped above Augustana and Duluth, makes me think pollsters don't look at schedules. IMO Duluth is still living of of their past NC as they seem to be ranked higher then often deserved.
                    Agree completely. Coaches just look at records and rarely go any farther than that. Because Duluth lost to Wayne at home I think they should be ranked below Wayne.

                    Also, being in the North Duluth benefits from a fairly soft schedule which helps keep them in the rankings year after year. They haven't lost a North division game since losing to the Wolves in 2015. During that same time frame they've had 12 other losses, all to South division or non-conference foes. Coaches don't look at things like this when filling out the rankings.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

                      You can bet their coach will be in the discussion for national D2 coach of the year.
                      Can't we finish the season first? Haha

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        [QUOTE=Tundra_Man;n611504]

                        Agree completely. Coaches just look at records and rarely go any farther than that. Because Duluth lost to Wayne at home I think they should be ranked below Wayne.

                        Also, being in the North Duluth benefits from a fairly soft schedule which helps keep them in the rankings year after year. They haven't lost a North division game since losing to the Wolves in 2015. During that same time frame they've had 12 other losses, all to South division or non-conference foes. Coaches don't look at things like this when filling out the rankings.[/QUO

                        Amen brother! The NCAA should have the D2 columnist be the official rankers, they're students of the D2 world.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

                          You can bet their coach will be in the discussion for national D2 coach of the year.
                          Definitely deserves to be.

                          It's looking like 8-3 will be the absolute worst case scenario through the rest of the season - with losses to AU and USF. They won 7 games the last two seasons combined, and haven't won 8 since 2009. They've also shown themselves to be beyond capable of beating teams of that caliber though, so maybe they win out and go 10-1.

                          They aren't my team, but I'm kinda rootin' for them honestly. The fine folks of Wayne are overdue for something like this.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

                            Good thing that will sort itself out this weekend. All depends on which Sadler shows up. I spent some time looking into Wayne. It's cool their top producers/tacklers are local or at least Midwest. Builds a comradery that's hard to beat. I'll be pulling for them after this week.
                            Regardless of what happens, I expect it to be a close and competitive game. Definitely one to watch.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

                              Definitely deserves to be.

                              It's looking like 8-3 will be the absolute worst case scenario through the rest of the season - with losses to AU and USF. They won 7 games the last two seasons combined, and haven't won 8 since 2009. They've also shown themselves to be beyond capable of beating teams of that caliber though, so maybe they win out and go 10-1.

                              They aren't my team, but I'm kinda rootin' for them honestly. The fine folks of Wayne are overdue for something like this.
                              I'm rooting for them in every game except USF.

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X