Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 1 Playoffs....SR4..

Thoughts....reaction....predictions....?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SR4 2021.png
Views:	547
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	628416

My first thought was at least this bracket guarantees the NSIC will win 1 playoff game this season. I'm still not sure if the overall depth of the conference was that much better this year, or if the top teams were just not that good. I'm leaning toward the fact that the conference overall was better than years past. I do believe Augie is the best team in the conference and the most likely to make a run in the postseason. If they are able to stop Bemidji's air attack next week, I think they are a better overall team and would have a better shot at knocking off Colorado Mines. I think Duluth got a tough draw as I think Angelo State might be the best team in the region. Duluth has to start Olson next week. Larson was not much of a threat to throw at all and their offense was much better when he became an assistant coach on the sideline last weekend. I would honestly be pretty surprised if they go to Texas and come home with a W. I'm hoping SR3 invader Kearney doesn't come in and run through the region. SR4 doesn't seem to get a ton of respect from SR2 and SR3 and the MIAA especially. I'll be rooting for Western Colorado, but would not be shocked by an upset there either. As for Central Washington who was shipped off to SR3, I think they are going to get hammered by NWMS this weekend. It is ridiculously tough for them to create a D2 schedule given their geography and I don't think playing their local opponents does much to prepare them for the postseason.

Comment

If Kearny to Western is a bus ride, it makes sense. Otherwise it is silly because Kearney to SF is a bus ride.

Comment

I was surprised to see UMD matched up with Angelo. I thought they may move them to play NWMS to avoid the flights. Either way for them to have a chance to win Larson has to stay off the field. I guess the only positive if he plays is it may take the Angelo coaches a minute to figure out he is not capable of throwing the ball downfield where the NSIC knew it quite well (was so evident on Saturday when NSU brought everyone up whenever Larson was the signal caller). For UMD to have a chance they will need to be able to run the ball and not rely on Olson to win the game for them. He can definitely manage it but is not going to make "the play" to be a difference maker. Defense has to step up and stop with the dumb unsportsmanlike penalties.

I also think the Auggie v BSU game will be interesting. The Auggie team I watched in Duluth seemed to try and force the deep ball in heavy wind conditions resulting in some easy INTs and when BSU beat UMD I thought personnel and play calling decisions played as the 12th man for BSU to secure the win. Although very unlikely how sweet would it be to see NSIC vs NSIC to win the region.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post
          I was surprised to see UMD matched up with Angelo. I thought they may move them to play NWMS to avoid the flights.

Although very unlikely how sweet would it be to see NSIC vs NSIC to win the region.
          I thought that it what would happen too. I don't like having two NSIC teams play each other in the first round. The silver lining is that we will have at least one NSIC team in the second round. Home field is always nice but it seems to play an even bigger part in the post season.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I thought that it what would happen too. I don't like having two NSIC teams play each other in the first round. The silver lining is that we will have at least one NSIC team in the second round. Home field is always nice but it seems to play an even bigger part in the post season.
            In full agreement with you, especially two NSIC teams that have already played each other. You're correct about at least one team going into 2nd round. I don't think rematch will be like first meeting where AU gave BSU a 52-24 beatdown. Should be a good game, thus far weather looks good for Sat. around 50 and sunny. I'm concerned without the Mavs dominance the three playoff teams are paper tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post
              If Kearny to Western is a bus ride, it makes sense. Otherwise it is silly because Kearney to SF is a bus ride.
              Kearney will bus to Western..yes. Having them in SR4 in a situation like this makes sense given their location within our SR..somewhat centrally located..which helps tie together bus trips instead of flights.

Like everyone else, I wouldn't really liked to see the NSIC not matching up in R1 but if Western is on the 3 line hosting, this was then bound to happen. Per the numbers they should've been also..with only 1 loss.

I will be heading over to the BSU at Augie contest on Sat....if you are a board brother here, hit me up at the game and say hello.

Comment

Matt, did anything surprise you in the final rankings and playoff pairing?

Comment

https://www.d2football.com/nsic-play...-preview-2021/

Here's my thoughts on the games in SR4..including UNK at Western.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    https://www.d2football.com/nsic-play...-preview-2021/

Here's my thoughts on the games in SR4..including UNK at Western.
                    I think the elevation will play a part in this one. Gunnison is WAAAAY up there! I'm pickin' Western.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X