Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro days for D2 guys?

I know they are few NSIC players that get legitimate looks from the NFL, but for the guys that are on the radar, are they allowed to attend D1 school pro days?

As far as I know yes. The D2 school would just need to help facilitate it.

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNotMinot View Post
      I know they are few NSIC players that get legitimate looks from the NFL, but for the guys that are on the radar, are they allowed to attend D1 school pro days?
      Yes, they can and do.

SMSU occasionally has guys perform at SDSU's pro-day, I know a lot of players go through the Gophers. Shane Zylstra was at Trey Lance's pro-day at NDSU, too.

Comment

The Beavers have sent a few guys over the years to the U of Mn Pro Days. Gunner Olszewski and Jake Krause are two recent ones I can recall of the top of my head.
        Millsy

Comment

Seems like the best place to put this - fmr. USF RB Gabe Watson will have a pro day on March 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Seems like the best place to put this - fmr. USF RB Gabe Watson will have a pro day on March 10th.
            Gabe is an interesting situation....as he transferred to Texas and was in probably the top RB room in the country (not ideal). So he barely saw the field = probably a very uphill battle to convince NFL scouts he should be playing on Sundays when he couldn't get on the field much on Saturdays with UT.

For the D2 guys....they need to get in where they can for a pro-day. I'm assuming they need to make a pretty legit case to be part of one..as the scouts aren't wanting to head to a pro-day and have 300 fellas there. They'd like to keep these to a manageable level. Some will hit up SDSU, some up at NDSU....others maybe in the cities.

I'd say our Elite 100 team from a few months ago would be a good place to start with legit NFL prospects....and I'm not sure there's many from the NSIC this time around..but a few.
            https://www.d2football.com/2021-d2football-elite-100/

Comment

Another thought: I believe St. Thomas will likely start to host pro days now that they are a FCS program. I know the number of scouts there isn't as high as Minnesota, NDSU or SDSU, but it is still another opportunity that presents itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Gabe is an interesting situation....as he transferred to Texas and was in probably the top RB room in the country (not ideal). So he barely saw the field = probably a very uphill battle to convince NFL scouts he should be playing on Sundays when he couldn't get on the field much on Saturdays with UT.

For the D2 guys....they need to get in where they can for a pro-day. I'm assuming they need to make a pretty legit case to be part of one..as the scouts aren't wanting to head to a pro-day and have 300 fellas there. They'd like to keep these to a manageable level. Some will hit up SDSU, some up at NDSU....others maybe in the cities.

I'd say our Elite 100 team from a few months ago would be a good place to start with legit NFL prospects....and I'm not sure there's many from the NSIC this time around..but a few.
                https://www.d2football.com/2021-d2football-elite-100/
                I had the same thoughts. Good for him, and I hope he's successful - but on the other side of the clipboard, that lack of playing time really hurt. I wonder had he gone to a school like SDSU, would we be having this same conversation? Be interesting to see how he matched up against Pierre Strong in that scenario.

We send guys to pro-days on occasion, but it's not an annual thing by any means. I don't always catch them all. I think Nate Huot went to one at SDSU.

Comment

I had the same thoughts. Good for him, and I hope he's successful - but on the other side of the clipboard, that lack of playing time really hurt. I wonder had he gone to a school like SDSU, would we be having this same conversation? Be interesting to see how he matched up against Pierre Strong in that scenario.

We send guys to pro-days on occasion, but it's not an annual thing by any means. I don't always catch them all. I think Nate Huot went to one at SDSU.
                  Often times these pro-days aren't real well publicized for the D2 guys....so feel free to post any further intel here.

Strong is more of a quick/smaller back than Gabe Watson. Actually Isaiah Davis at SDSU is built and plays a little more similar to Watson. I think all 3 have a shot and could get in camp with a team..but I'm not sure any of them have breakaway or Wow physical numbers for the 40 or other such measures. Certainly I feel Watson would've benefitted at a D1 spot where he was getting much more of the workload..but he cannot change that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Often times these pro-days aren't real well publicized for the D2 guys....so feel free to post any further intel here.

Strong is more of a quick/smaller back than Gabe Watson. Actually Isaiah Davis at SDSU is built and plays a little more similar to Watson. I think all 3 have a shot and could get in camp with a team..but I'm not sure any of them have breakaway or Wow physical numbers for the 40 or other such measures. Certainly I feel Watson would've benefitted at a D1 spot where he was getting much more of the workload..but he cannot change that now.
                    Yeah, I just happened to see his Instagram last night. Would be cool if we had a dedicated thread for Pro-Day/Combine (even more rare) stuff. I usually come across it through player social media, though sometimes the college team Twitter accounts will share it. I think I did a Google search on Huot after his senior season and a local news station did a small bit on him and a couple other guys.

Heard anywhere from Rd. 2-4 on Strong at various times. People in Brookings seem to be excited about him, but as I've learned people here get excited when McDonald's has a special. 2nd round seems really high to me though.

Comment

Yeah, I just happened to see his Instagram last night. Would be cool if we had a dedicated thread for Pro-Day/Combine (even more rare) stuff. I usually come across it through player social media, though sometimes the college team Twitter accounts will share it. I think I did a Google search on Huot after his senior season and a local news station did a small bit on him and a couple other guys.

Heard anywhere from Rd. 2-4 on Strong at various times. People in Brookings seem to be excited about him, but as I've learned people here get excited when McDonald's has a special. 2nd round seems really high to me though.
                      I agree across the board. I've enjoyed watching Strong, but I don't seem him being a starter in the league....but wish him the best.

Plz post any future pro-day kinda stuff here fellas....thanks.

Comment

A few years ago the Blue Bombers had a tryout day the morning of the Mavs spring game. Sat by their coaches at the BBQ afterwards. Pretty interesting.

Comment

Here's the pro day schedule - handful in NSIC territory, but no NSIC schools. I noticed GVSU and Ouchita Baptist as D2 schools with pro days. No attendee lists as far as I can tell, but it's still early.

NFL Draft: 2022 Pro Day Schedule and Times - Visit NFL Draft on Sports Illustrated, the latest news coverage, with rankings for NFL Draft prospects, College Football, Dynasty and Devy Fantasy Football.

Comment

Former Beaver Gunner Olszewski has signed a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
                            Millsy

Comment

SDSU held their pro-day today. Former SMSU Mustang Michael Griffin put up a 43.5 vertical, which bested every combine participant.

He transferred to Brookings after his sophomore season, I believe - seems to have been the right move.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X