X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

This could be its own thread. Ive had enough arguments with Bison folks about it. Just because your team cam compete with half the Big 12 or half the Big Ten or whatever...doesn't mean that conference would have any interest in you.
    IMO, NDSU would never be invited into the Big Ten regardless of how good football the is. Their academics are nowhere near on par with the rest of the conference, nor are they a member of the AAU. Nebraska is an unusual case because the AAU kicked them out after they joined the Big 10 for not having a medical school, but I heard they would not have been let in if that happened beforehand. Same issue Iowa State is having, though they withdrew voluntarily.

It's weird some Bison fans think it's a possibility - but to each their own. (Just adding on to your post, not saying you think they will join the B1G)

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    There is a pretty interesting article on The Athletic if you have a subscription regarding NDSU's views on moving up to FCS. I know that interest has waned a little in North Dakota's Professional Sports Team because people have become bored with all of the success. As the article lays out, NDSU moving to FCS is a difficult task because they aren't a great fit with any conference. They have the program and resources to compete on the G5 level similar to the many other schools that have made the jump in recent years. What the article doesn't really speak to is the rest of the sports. But, with most of the realignment the other sports are often an afterthought. Perhaps they could remain in the Summit even if football moves on to greener pastures somehow? I also wonder how this would affect SDSU. I don't know that they are thinking about moving up, but I get the feeling if NDSU moved, SDSU would feel they need to keep up as well. Whereas Morningside might be happy winning NAIA championships every year rather than being a decent D2 team, I believe NDSU believes they could have real success at the G5 level.

I mention all of this because it could have real consequences on the NSIC. If those schools move up does that create the necessary opening for Augie (or Mankato)?
    This could be its own thread. Ive had enough arguments with Bison folks about it. Just because your team cam compete with half the Big 12 or half the Big Ten or whatever...doesn't mean that conference would have any interest in you.

If everyone in North and South Dakota watched the Bison, that would still be well under 2 million addition viewers to your conference.

Build a bigger dome? Sure, but how many can you get. Kansas was averaging almost double the fans of NDSU when they were getting their teeth kicked in.

IF they want to make that move (for their fans) they better get used to a non P5 idea.

completely agree on the ripple effect. I think it's coming in the next five years but that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    There is a pretty interesting article on The Athletic if you have a subscription regarding NDSU's views on moving up to FCS. I know that interest has waned a little in North Dakota's Professional Sports Team because people have become bored with all of the success. As the article lays out, NDSU moving to FCS is a difficult task because they aren't a great fit with any conference. They have the program and resources to compete on the G5 level similar to the many other schools that have made the jump in recent years. What the article doesn't really speak to is the rest of the sports. But, with most of the realignment the other sports are often an afterthought. Perhaps they could remain in the Summit even if football moves on to greener pastures somehow? I also wonder how this would affect SDSU. I don't know that they are thinking about moving up, but I get the feeling if NDSU moved, SDSU would feel they need to keep up as well. Whereas Morningside might be happy winning NAIA championships every year rather than being a decent D2 team, I believe NDSU believes they could have real success at the G5 level.

I mention all of this because it could have real consequences on the NSIC. If those schools move up does that create the necessary opening for Augie (or Mankato)?

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    And I 100% understand why they have held that stance.

But look at that schedule again...two of those schools are preparing to play for the FCS Championship. Another was in the FCS playoffs. A few others are decent FCS programs.

Division II is no longer what it was in 2000. The NSIC is not what the NCC used to be. Yes, Mankato is still here. Other programs are good too. But Morningside would absolutely not drop back down to that degree if they moved back to Division II. Maybe they don't compete for championships every year, but they could still have a solid program here.
    It's quite possible their goals are much more than simply being solid.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

But look at that schedule again...two of those schools are preparing to play for the FCS Championship. Another was in the FCS playoffs. A few others are decent FCS programs.

Division II is no longer what it was in 2000. The NSIC is not what the NCC used to be. Yes, Mankato is still here. Other programs are good too. But Morningside would absolutely not drop back down to that degree if they moved back to Division II. Maybe they don't compete for championships every year, but they could still have a solid program here.
    FWIW, two of those schools don't have football anymore either.

USF was the big dog in the NAIA for a while and made an impact in D2 right away. Not saying the same would happen for MU, but I wouldn't mind seeing them join us.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by stealth View Post
    Morningside has been very adamant that they couldn't have experienced the turnaround as an institution if they were in the NCAA. I don't think they will put themselves back in that position willingly.

Leave a comment:

• stealth
    replied
    In terms of ideal fits, Morningside is it. I think the only hold-up is if they want to pursue the NCAA.
    Morningside has been very adamant that they couldn't have experienced the turnaround as an institution if they were in the NCAA. I don't think they will put themselves back in that position willingly.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    It's wild looking at Morningside's final season at the Division II level.

Aug 31, 2000 at Northern Iowa L 14-47
    Sep 09, 2000 MN-MORRIS W 65-3
    *Sep 16, 2000 at Northern Colorado L 0-21
    *Sep 23, 2000 NEBRASKA-OMAHA L 14-16
    *9-30-2000 at South Dakota State L 14-51
    *Oct 07, 2000 at North Dakota L 6-54
    *Oct 14, 2000 AUGUSTANA L 14-42
    *Oct 21, 2000 at St. Cloud State L 20-23
    *Oct 28, 2000 SOUTH DAKOTA L 7-30
    *Nov 04, 2000 MINNESOTA ST-MANKATO L 6-47
    *Nov 11, 2000 at North Dakota State L 14-55
    1-10, that's a real eye opener! And not in a good way.

Leave a comment:

• Supercal95
    replied
    We could take the 3 GNAC FB schools from the LSC. Or convince Saint Johns/Saint Bens to move up.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    It would be cool if M'side moved up. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and their facilities wouldn't be the worst in the conference.

I think the only true options are J'town and DSU - though DSU would get mauled immediately.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Good old Morrs

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    In terms of ideal fits, Morningside is it. I think the only hold-up is if they want to pursue the NCAA.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    It's my belief that an Iowa school should be added and Morningside is the best candidate. M'side left the NCC due to their inability to compete. Like USF was they're a big fish in a small bowl. St. Johns would be a nice addition as well.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Something I've considered is how the potential "next domino" will affect the domino after that. I haven't been able to shake the feeling that adding another Dakota school could nudge Winona State towards at least exploratory looks at membership elsewhere, possibly joining Upper Iowa in the GLVC.

I feel like they've been one of the most affected programs since the NSIC expanded a decade ago. Maybe it wasn't all expansion-related, but one could easily point to it as a significant factor. They were pretty dominant in the NSIC in both football and men's basketball. They're still a solid program (in football, at least), but haven't had the same juice as they once had.

The NSIC divisional alignment doesn't really do them any favors. Just as a couple of examples, UMD is a shorter trip than than SMSU and the BSU trip is equivalent to WSC.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X