Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

USD just hired a new OC from SDSU,
    Davis (the new USD OC) was WR coach at SDSU, replacing Ted Schlafke who had a primary focus with QBs. So USD needs someone to work with QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Mary's record over the years is not an indicator of where Bagnell has brought the program to. (See Witts post) also in 2015 and 2016 he revamped BSU's offence and is seen as an innovator. It would not be that far of a stretch but I see he will be going to USD. Wish him all the best. Also Brett Holinka UND's D Coordinator and former Mary D Coordinator resigned a few days ago. Timing is perfect if he doesnt end up at another FCS.
      I'd heard that Holinka was heading to the east coast per a contact of mine..but initially when I saw the timing, I immediately assumed him for Mary. FWIW.

With Spring ball approaching it'd be best if a new coach was hired sooner than later..as a new head coach might also bring in their own staff as well....per usual, that's all tbd. A new staff would need to use the Spring as an eval period.

I didn't realize the interim AD for Mary is also the hockey coach..and they are very good at hockey. He's still got a month left of season..so he's now tasked with hiring a football coach while he's in-season.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I'd heard that Holinka was heading to the east coast per a contact of mine..but initially when I saw the timing, I immediately assumed him for Mary. FWIW.

With Spring ball approaching it'd be best if a new coach was hired sooner than later..as a new head coach might also bring in their own staff as well....per usual, that's all tbd. A new staff would need to use the Spring as an eval period.

I didn't realize the interim AD for Mary is also the hockey coach..and they are very good at hockey. He's still got a month left of season..so he's now tasked with hiring a football coach while he's in-season.
        Does club hockey count?

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

I know Bagnell is a solid coach, but do you really think NDSU would poach from Mary for their QB job if their guy left?
          This has been happening more and more lately, lower level head coaches taking assistant roles at higher level schools. The jump from HC at a D2, to an assistant at the FCS level doesn’t seem too crazy

Comment

Guess you cant Holinka out then. Stanger86 thanks for the note, looks like the former QB coach and Head Coach were connected from their days at Duluth. Tough situation, but I appreciate the insight. Happy for Bagnell.

Yes, Dan Huntley has done a phenomenal job building the hockey program from the ground up. Hell have a busy February.

Comment

Apparently hiring an AD before hiring a FB coach? So they should have a FB coach by the Fall (sarcasm font here)?

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/c...6ad5f9197.html

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysabeaver View Post
                Apparently hiring an AD before hiring a FB coach? So they should have a FB coach by the Fall (sarcasm font here)?

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/c...6ad5f9197.html
                "We are on the verge of hiring a new athletic director". Not sure why it is taking so long. Verge is an odd word to use in this case when its been over a year since the post has been filled. Maybe there is a lack of pens in Bismarck and shipments are on their way. In all seriousness the wish list above does not look good at this point. Will be interesting to see what transpires.

Comment

The Athletic Director situation here is a bit puzzling..and how long it's taking. I can understand the want/need to have the AD in-place for this hire..but also exposes why a school needs someone in that role instead of taking a year to try and find that person. Unless they all the sudden move these hires from a slow pace to a sprint, I don't see a new coach being there for Spring ball..which then creates an odd scenario for the existing football staff who don't even know if they'll be part of the existing staff going forward. Without a sitting athletic director, the exposure of that vacancy seems considerable.

Comment

The Athletic Director situation here is a bit puzzling..and how long it's taking. I can understand the want/need to have the AD in-place for this hire..but also exposes why a school needs someone in that role instead of taking a year to try and find that person. Unless they all the sudden move these hires from a slow pace to a sprint, I don't see a new coach being there for Spring ball..which then creates an odd scenario for the existing football staff who don't even know if they'll be part of the existing staff going forward. Without a sitting athletic director, the exposure of that vacancy seems considerable.
                    Per source, Mary is looking to move up divisions within the next 3-4 in Mens hockey. Whether that is NCAA DIII or DI is not certain. This has been mentioned before, the community has really embraced UMary hockey, yes, I know it is ACHA but starting a team from scratch and drawing 4000-5000 is a feat. This is what has been halting the AD search. It looks like they are looking for an AD with some regional hockey ties to take them to the next step. With UND being the only DI hockey team in the state this could be an opportunity. Also this could be why football has had such a healthy turn over and also why Lennon left. Regardless this takes a lot of dough, wish them all the best but I hope football gets a piece of the pie as they move to 2030.

Comment

Official release on Bagnell hiring at University of South Dakota. Will be coaching the WR's.

​​​​​​https://goyotes.com/news/2023/2/22/f...new-hires.aspx

Comment

Per source, Mary is looking to move up divisions within the next 3-4 in Mens hockey. Whether that is NCAA DIII or DI is not certain. This has been mentioned before, the community has really embraced UMary hockey, yes, I know it is ACHA but starting a team from scratch and drawing 4000-5000 is a feat. This is what has been halting the AD search. It looks like they are looking for an AD with some regional hockey ties to take them to the next step. With UND being the only DI hockey team in the state this could be an opportunity. Also this could be why football has had such a healthy turn over and also why Lennon left. Regardless this takes a lot of dough, wish them all the best but I hope football gets a piece of the pie as they move to 2030.
                        They would have to go D-I in hockey unless they are going to demote all sports to D-III. The NCAA will not allow a team to play below their school classification, and with UMary being D-II, they would have to play up (like Mankato, Bemidji, Duluth, St. Cloud, Augie).

The biggest hurdle I see for UMary is finding a conference home if they do go D-I in hockey. The CCHA will be at nine next year when Augie joins, so a 10th would be nice. But there are also several independent teams out there right now, so filling a schedule wouldn't be difficult, but the independent travel life would be.

If they do make the move, the NSIC could sponsor hockey and eventually get an auto bid (six team league). It won't happen as I don't see Duluth and St. Cloud leaving the NCHC.
                        Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

They would have to go D-I in hockey unless they are going to demote all sports to D-III. The NCAA will not allow a team to play below their school classification, and with UMary being D-II, they would have to play up (like Mankato, Bemidji, Duluth, St. Cloud, Augie).

The biggest hurdle I see for UMary is finding a conference home if they do go D-I in hockey. The CCHA will be at nine next year when Augie joins, so a 10th would be nice. But there are also several independent teams out there right now, so filling a schedule wouldn't be difficult, but the independent travel life would be.

If they do make the move, the NSIC could sponsor hockey and eventually get an auto bid (six team league). It won't happen as I don't see Duluth and St. Cloud leaving the NCHC.
                          The CCHA's biggest issue is their out of conference record. If not for St Thomas, the CCHA would have been over 500. The Tommies are much better this year, but some teams took a step back. With Augustana starting next season, I don't see the CCHA's record against other conferences being any better- maybe on par with Atlantic Hockey. UMary might seem the logical school to make an even ten, but they won't make the conference better- at least not for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

Looking back at their schedules UMary has travelled extensively with their ACHA status. I never thought of the independent route but that is interesting. Makes me wonder where all the money for travel came from. I am assuming players chipped in for the most part. Not sure of their scholarship packages for hockey. Will be interesting to see where this leads. Out of curiosity what does BSU and St. Cloud draw for hockey? I am assuming they are well received on campus.

Comment

Looking back at their schedules UMary has travelled extensively with their ACHA status. I never thought of the independent route but that is interesting. Makes me wonder where all the money for travel came from. I am assuming players chipped in for the most part. Not sure of their scholarship packages for hockey. Will be interesting to see where this leads. Out of curiosity what does BSU and St. Cloud draw for hockey? I am assuming they are well received on campus.
                              BSU moved to the Sanford Center in 2010, 4500 seats (give or take a few) for admission into the WCHA. For two years in the WCHA, they filled the place pretty well, until the NCHC and Big10 decided to blow up the WCHA. Now, they draw between 2,000 and 3,000 with the CCHA schedule, can get to be more when UND, UMD and Minnesota come to town (BSU had an exhibition this year with the Gophers in Bemidji on New Years Eve that was close to a sell out). Mankato and Michigan Tech get the most butts in the seats in the CCHA.

St. Cloud definitely draws better, I think the National Hockey Center seats around 5,500. They got to keep most of their rivalries with the move to the NCHC, plus they have been a national top 10 team consistently the last few years.
                              Millsy

Comment

UND's Brett Holinka's name has not resurfaced after he resigned a couple weeks ago. Here is to hoping he comes to UMary, one can only hope. I can't see anyone else on my wish list coming over this late in the game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X