Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peacockfan View Post
    Do you think playing the silo schedule has hurt NSIC teams in the past? I mean they are preparing for the same teams year in and year out without the experience of preparing for something you’re not used to. Also, they’re used to the NSIC road trips and are comfortable with them, when they travel elsewhere they’re probably out of their comfort zone because they never get to do it. This may be a minor thing but I guess we’ll see if the NSIC will benefit from the experience of playing a non conference game in the regular season.
    This is a good question. The "what if" NSIC comparison of did their SOS go up or down depending on who they played. I don't know if MSU's did from beating Western Oregon compared to if they had beaten Northern. I assume it would have gone down if they had beaten Mary. Those were the two NSIC teams that they didn't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

They can win on the road but recent history is against it.

Colorado Mines has a huge home field advantage, Western Colorado has the altitude advantage, and the LSC Texas teams it can get to 80 degree plus in the fall with humidity and that's a huge advantage.

This is where the silo scheduling is somewhat of a disadvantage in the case of we dont really know how good the NSIC teams are until they actually get to the playoffs outside Minnesota State who has a recent successful history and Duluth decades ago.

I will eat crow if I am wrong (and I am wrong a lot) but its the same with the second place LSC teams. There is a huge dropoff playoff time.
      It probably looks and sounds like it, but I’m not trying to pick a fight. Figured I’d make that clear to start! Haha

Going back to my point then, how can you use the NSIC teams recent history and figure that likely points to a loss, but dismiss UTPB having zero experience in the playoffs? On top of that, you’ve stated numerous times on the LSC board how down the LSC is this year…even tagging the UTPB posters to point them to an article to prove your point so they don’t get too inflated.

We’ve beaten that horse into glue regarding how we’d all prefer non-conference games. This year, however, MSU played Western Oregon. So that does give us some comparison. Although I’m not really sure as to how much, since the transitive property isn’t real successful…but if it were, it would point to Augie crushing any LSC team this year (which btw…I’m NOT an NSIC fan, only MSU, so it’s not about pumping a conference).

Look, I get that people misunderstand the climate up here…but do you really think 80 and humid is something these guys haven’t experienced? :) The colorado schools definitely have the altitude going for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

It probably looks and sounds like it, but I’m not trying to pick a fight.

Look, I get that people misunderstand the climate up here…but do you really think 80 and humid is something these guys haven’t experienced? :) The colorado schools definitely have the altitude going for them.
        quit gaslighting!!!! HAHAHAHA.

I for one can say that when I was up for Fall Camp, I thought I was back in West Texas. Hot, and windy, but more humidity. Mosquitos aren't quite as big and less dust devils. As for the Colorado schools, no way to simulate Gunnison being at 7,700 feet. Golden may be a little less advantageous so at 5,800' but still considerably higher than Kato, Sioux Falls, or Bemidji (S.F. is about 1500'). The problem with the Colorado schools is the altitude plus the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

It probably looks and sounds like it, but I’m not trying to pick a fight. Figured I’d make that clear to start! Haha

Going back to my point then, how can you use the NSIC teams recent history and figure that likely points to a loss, but dismiss UTPB having zero experience in the playoffs? On top of that, you’ve stated numerous times on the LSC board how down the LSC is this year…even tagging the UTPB posters to point them to an article to prove your point so they don’t get too inflated.

We’ve beaten that horse into glue regarding how we’d all prefer non-conference games. This year, however, MSU played Western Oregon. So that does give us some comparison. Although I’m not really sure as to how much, since the transitive property isn’t real successful…but if it were, it would point to Augie crushing any LSC team this year (which btw…I’m NOT an NSIC fan, only MSU, so it’s not about pumping a conference).

Oh I know you are not trying to pick a fight and I am not either even though it sometimes ends up that way.

Good point about UTPB's non playoff history.

Just pointing out that 2 out of the 3 NSIC teams will likely travel and probably all 3 if Duluth upsets Minnesota State.

I am interested how they do against new and experienced playoff teams.

I get your weather comment but if you havent experienced heat and humidity since the summer it will hit you big time just the same as cold and wind in November instead of February when you are used to it.

Hopefully there are no 1st round rematches this year like last year.

Comment

That is the biggest problem. With the geographic split of the conferences and the NCAA rule on distance, it has artificially created scenarios where the first round of the playoffs is just a play-in game with conference rematches. I understand the finance angle of the rule but it is 2023 and travel has evolved. Again, I am biased and want Augie to travel to Texas this year, so that may be driving a lot of my commentary.

I reserve the right to pull a complete 180 next year if it supports my position better. HA!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/live/96B0W5j...ORfMa7rp2tRoA-

We spoke quite a bit about the regional rankings at 26:02. FYI.

All said, if MSU and BSU (or Augie) win out they will get a bump in SOS while teams like Western CO will have a falling SOS..and MSU will have a bunch of above .500 wins....so I wouldn't be surprised to see the NSIC with the 2 and 3 seeds..or maybe 2 and 4....either way, home games. If MSU beats UMD....which most would expect, then I would expect the loser of BSU/AU to head to Mankato for R1....for the geographic reasons discussed in our video.

Certainly I haven't gone through every scenario....as I frankly just don't have the mental bandwidth for it..but we discuss the most likely ones in the video. Wayne having 3 wins over .500 or better is key for them as to why they are on the 8 line currently..but certainly they need for Augie to lose out to help them....my take anyway.

Comment

Oh I know you are not trying to pick a fight and I am not either even though it sometimes ends up that way.

Good point about UTPB's non playoff history.

Just pointing out that 2 out of the 3 NSIC teams will likely travel and probably all 3 if Duluth upsets Minnesota State.

I am interested how they do against new and experienced playoff teams.

I get your weather comment but if you havent experienced heat and humidity since the summer it will hit you big time just the same as cold and wind in November instead of February when you are used to it.

Change in weather is always difficult. But warm and humid is easier to prepare for…even though some teams still struggle with it.

Unfortunately first round rematches are all too likely. Mines having the bye eliminates two potential rematches as Western Colorado will have to play someone, unless Pueblo somehow sneaks in. I also envision Augie/Bemidj and MSU matching up first round in the 4/5 game.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/live/96B0W5j...ORfMa7rp2tRoA-

We spoke quite a bit about the regional rankings at 26:02. FYI.

All said, if MSU and BSU (or Augie) win out they will get a bump in SOS while teams like Western CO will have a falling SOS..and MSU will have a bunch of above .500 wins....so I wouldn't be surprised to see the NSIC with the 2 and 3 seeds..or maybe 2 and 4....either way, home games. If MSU beats UMD....which most would expect, then I would expect the loser of BSU/AU to head to Mankato for R1....for the geographic reasons discussed in our video.

Certainly I haven't gone through every scenario....as I frankly just don't have the mental bandwidth for it..but we discuss the most likely ones in the video. Wayne having 3 wins over .500 or better is key for them as to why they are on the 8 line currently..but certainly they need for Augie to lose out to help them....my take anyway.
                  Nice podcast.

I totally agree with CW travelling to Western Colorado if they lose to UTPB.

Its a really tough sell to say that the second place NSIC team will host over the probable LSC outright undefeated conference champ UTPB with their only loss being to a 10-1 Western Colorado team.

If UTPB falls to 5 or lower it might be interesting to see if they are sent to region 3 somewhere in Arkansas.

If Central Washington wins they are hosting no matter what. Undefeated record will trump any other issues.

Just my opinion you may see a NSIC road team sent somewhere in Region 3 in MIAA country while the other two play each other in a rematch.

We shall see how it plays out.

Comment

Nice podcast.
                    You missed out on Witt wearing his Bear hat.

Side issue- is there any movement on the Islanders adding football or is that a dead letter? UTRGV start up is postponed to 2025, seems to be taking forever.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

You missed out on Witt wearing his Bear hat.

Side issue- is there any movement on the Islanders adding football or is that a dead letter? UTRGV start up is postponed to 2025, seems to be taking forever.
                      Hey there.

No there is nowhere for the Islanders to build a campus stadium and the only stadium in Corpus Christi is 10 miles away and falling apart.

From time to time I hear that the A&M system, alumni, etc. want to combine Texas A&M-Kingsville with Corpus Christi to D1 and use Kingsville's existing stadium.

Islanders alumni fights it because Kingsville wants to retain their brand and existing mascot as part of the combined deal and thats definitely a no.

My opinion only way this happens is if tons of existing LSC teams move to D1 overnight and Kingsville panics to not be left behind and agree to the combo.

Comment

Nice podcast.

I totally agree with CW travelling to Western Colorado if they lose to UTPB.

Its a really tough sell to say that the second place NSIC team will host over the probable LSC outright undefeated conference champ UTPB with their only loss being to a 10-1 Western Colorado team.

If UTPB falls to 5 or lower it might be interesting to see if they are sent to region 3 somewhere in Arkansas.

If Central Washington wins they are hosting no matter what. Undefeated record will trump any other issues.

Just my opinion you may see a NSIC road team sent somewhere in Region 3 in MIAA country while the other two play each other in a rematch.

We shall see how it plays out.
                        I don't see anyone in SR4 being sent to SR3....reason is, you have to get a trade partner = a team you'd send back to SR3 that would save a flight. There is no such team that would help in that regard. I think there's literally no chance of that..as a result. Teams like UTPB and CWU are the reason....neither is within driving of literally any team that will make the playoffs.

I didn't get overly nerdy with the math on the pod....but here's how I see it..and I think Inkblot is on the same path that I am..

I'm projecting that BSU will have an SOS about 560, Mankato about 540, CWU 520, and UTPB 550. That said, Mankato will have about 4 wins over .500 or better..and so will BSU..while UTPB will have 3 and CWU will have 2 (assuming UTPB wins that contest). Both NSIC schools will also have more wins over RR opponents (likely)..but that could still be up in the air.

As a result, BSU looks like they should be the 2 seed in that scenario, but will be nearly a match with Mankato....but MSU will have the hth win over them, which is why I have the committee landing Mankato at 2..BSU at 3..and then Western at 4..with the hth over UTPB..at 5. I then have the committee avoiding a 1st round repeat game and sending CWU to Western..instead of UTPB. I have them sending Permian to BSU....as Augie will have just played BSU in W11..and Augie is closer distance to MSU..so that makes more sense to me given Bemidji is a further trip north..and since you are already gonna have to fly UTPB, why not have them head to the further destination at that point. (but it could be UTPB at Mankato..and Augie at BSU....that section is up in the air)

Keep in mind, this is all with the favorites winning out. If Augie wins and CWU wins....everything gets looked at through a different lens.

Comment

I'm rooting for Augie to lose out and chaos ensues!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4THEPAW View Post
                            I'm rooting for Augie to lose out and chaos ensues!!
                            I'm rootin' for Augie to win out and hear silencio from you and not see your gentle house-cat logo!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I don't see anyone in SR4 being sent to SR3....reason is, you have to get a trade partner = a team you'd send back to SR3 that would save a flight. There is no such team that would help in that regard. I think there's literally no chance of that..as a result. Teams like UTPB and CWU are the reason....neither is within driving of literally any team that will make the playoffs.

I didn't get overly nerdy with the math on the pod....but here's how I see it..and I think Inkblot is on the same path that I am..

I'm projecting that BSU will have an SOS about 560, Mankato about 540, CWU 520, and UTPB 550. That said, Mankato will have about 4 wins over .500 or better..and so will BSU..while UTPB will have 3 and CWU will have 2 (assuming UTPB wins that contest). Both NSIC schools will also have more wins over RR opponents (likely)..but that could still be up in the air.

As a result, BSU looks like they should be the 2 seed in that scenario, but will be nearly a match with Mankato....but MSU will have the hth win over them, which is why I have the committee landing Mankato at 2..BSU at 3..and then Western at 4..with the hth over UTPB..at 5. I then have the committee avoiding a 1st round repeat game and sending CWU to Western..instead of UTPB. I have them sending Permian to BSU....as Augie will have just played BSU in W11..and Augie is closer distance to MSU..so that makes more sense to me given Bemidji is a further trip north..and since you are already gonna have to fly UTPB, why not have them head to the further destination at that point. (but it could be UTPB at Mankato..and Augie at BSU....that section is up in the air)

Keep in mind, this is all with the favorites winning out. If Augie wins and CWU wins....everything gets looked at through a different lens.

If Auggie loses their last two games this scenario could play out...

Angelo State at UTPB
                              Central Washington at Western Colorado
                              Bemidji State at Minnesota State

Comment

If Auggie loses their last two games this scenario could play out...

Angelo State at UTPB
                                Central Washington at Western Colorado
                                Bemidji State at Minnesota State
                                Why would Angelo get ahead of Wayne? Their SOS will be moving down as they don't play a team over .500. The reason the are behind Wayne right now is Wayne has 3 quality wins at the moment and Angelo only has 1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X