Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....getting back to the thread (Northern), I'd expect Schmidt to go after a similar hire to Schlicte....maybe a former QB type that's in D2 already or D3 in MN/WI..since that's his history as a coach. Northern has put $$ into the program and the salary should be decent for the NSIC as well. The mess they now have though is needing to hire an OC while spring ball just started and they are on the hook for a scrimmage against another squad. Got a feeling this hire might need to wait..unless the turnaround for it seems to be immediate.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Certainly not for facilities..but as a coach..advancement to higher levels (what most are striving for) is far easier when you are near the top in terms of team performance. In Big 10 football terms..it's like comparing Michigan to Purdue. The history of winning and current winning (Mankato with 2 straight trips to the playoffs..and a trip to TX in 2019) elevates them above anyone in the NSIC. Not only are they the proven name, but it's ongoing. This is also why MSU will get more high-level recruits than other NSIC schools.
      Spot on. The Big Ten is another great example of the haves and have nots. You've got the haves that are largely Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State....and everyone else. It doesn't mean a winning program and culture can't be developed, but it's a lot harder to win consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

The Sioux Falls paper had an article about state aid for d1 athletics, stating most FCS level schools are supplemented by state $$$. 46% at SDSU, 66% at USD. North Dakota schools get aid as well. This is why Augustana couldn't go D1 with football. Minnesota certainly could help MSU with around 15 to 20 million yearly. Or am I ignorant to the situation.
        Why would the state need to help a private school, they don’t have any hard costs in regards to scholarships, they could have injected 10 million in scholarship dollars by cashing in the tuition coupons.

Comment

Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

Yeah. Not sure what to think about this. I can see the view point of it’s where he played and where he is from. Clearly has a connection to the school/area so in that respect it makes total sense. But I can’t help to think there is more to the story of why our last two OC’s left for lateral moves within the NSIC.
          His dad played and coached at MSU, Ryan was QB at Mankato West and at MSU and was very popular. Of course most social studies majors are intelligent and popular, so.........

I wouldn't read anything into this besides him coming home. That family is very close. I've talked to Ryan in the past and his dad twice in the past week. Ryan was extremely positive on how he was treated at Northern by the players, coaches and fans.

Stadium news- talked to President Inch last night. A new MSU stadium would be about 40 million. A roof would be another 10, which surprised me. They would still need some big donors. But at least they are talking about it. They should make it into a regional center like Southwest- have both East and West play there, have HS playoffs etc. I'd like to see it before I kick the bucket- or stumble over it.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            Stadium news- talked to President Inch last night. A new MSU stadium would be about 40 million. A roof would be another 10, which surprised me. They would still need some big donors. But at least they are talking about it. They should make it into a regional center like Southwest- have both East and West play there, have HS playoffs etc. I'd like to see it before I kick the bucket- or stumble over it.
            This is without a doubt the way to do it for Mankato. Heck, even New Ulm has figured out how to do this with three high schools and a college.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

This is without a doubt the way to do it for Mankato. Heck, even New Ulm has figured out how to do this with three high schools and a college.
              I remember when they used Johnson Football field Thursday, Friday and Saturday for HS games- and Wednesday for adult flag football. On grass.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

New Ulm has a $40MM football stadium?

Comment

Northern announced their practice schedule for the spring today. Confirmed playing the spring game on the 20th at Harrisburg High. 2:00pm kick I believe

Comment

Sounds like new OC should be introduced to the team in the next couple of days, so would assume the public article is coming as well. NSU alum/fans/current players will be very happy with the hire.

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post
                      Sounds like new OC should be introduced to the team in the next couple of days, so would assume the public article is coming as well. NSU alum/fans/current players will be very happy with the hire.
                      Agreed. Think he will be at the game Saturday.

With Schmidt remaining DC and Larsons contract running out I would think they have a little extra money to give the OC

Comment

Interested to see how things go tomorrow. I feel pretty good about the defense but concerned about the offense for several reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

Agreed. Think he will be at the game Saturday.

With Schmidt remaining DC and Larsons contract running out I would think they have a little extra money to give the OC
                          It's interesting that they haven't hired another coach on Defense. They have the contract with benefits- I wonder what he is waiting for- unless they cut the contract all together...

Also a tough deal for Jon Roy. I wonder why he wasn't considered to be OC. I would hope he would get a bump- he only gets 42. Maybe he thinks of moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by FullThrottleSD View Post

It's interesting that they haven't hired another coach on Defense. They have the contract with benefits- I wonder what he is waiting for- unless they cut the contract all together...

Also a tough deal for Jon Roy. I wonder why he wasn't considered to be OC. I would hope he would get a bump- he only gets 42. Maybe he thinks of moving on.
                            My guess is Schmidt saw improvement with the defense when he took over so he wants to stay being the DC for the time being.

I am not sure Roy wants to be the OC. If he did, I hope he was at least considered for the role. He’s the best coach on the staff in my opinion.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X