Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 SMSU Mustangs: Year 3 of Underwood

Scheduling seems a little more favorable this year. Swapped Mankato and Augie for Winona and Concordia. Plus an extra home game, and not having to drive to both Minot and Bismarck.

vs. Minot
    at Bemidji
    vs. Concordia
    at Duluth
    vs. Kearney
    vs. Wayne (Homecoming)
    at Northern
    at Moorhead
    vs. Mary
    vs. Winona
    at Sioux Falls

I didn't put much stock into the transfer from Dordt when I saw the class announced...maybe because it was one of the few recruits who I didn't know about ahead of time. But right now, also knowing the sad state of the RB room, I've got him as the early favorite to win the starting RB job of the guys who will be in spring ball. Looking at his HS film, has really nice explosion. Reminds me of like a Warren Matthews Jr.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1324880...1e5b051c2b3272

Comment

[QUOTE=Stanger86;n815237]Scheduling seems a little more favorable this year. Swapped Mankato and Augie for Winona and Concordia. Plus an extra home game, and not having to drive to both Minot and Bismarck.

vs. Minot W
      at Bemidji L
      vs. Concordia W
      at Duluth L
      vs. Kearney L
      vs. Wayne (Homecoming) L
      at Northern L
      at Moorhead L
      vs. Mary W
      vs. Winona L
      at Sioux Falls L

If I had to guess that is what I would predict their record. Obviously some upsets could happen, but this seems realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by 4THEPAW View Post
        vs. Minot W
        at Bemidji L
        vs. Concordia W
        at Duluth L
        vs. Kearney L
        vs. Wayne (Homecoming) L
        at Northern L
        at Moorhead L
        vs. Mary W
        vs. Winona L
        at Sioux Falls L

If I had to guess that is what I would predict their record. Obviously some upsets could happen, but this seems realistic.
        That's probably fair, especially considering the volume of all we lost. My optimistic side probably gets us up to 5 or 6, but I could see 3 or 4 as well.

Comment

[QUOTE=4THEPAW;n815384]
          Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          Scheduling seems a little more favorable this year. Swapped Mankato and Augie for Winona and Concordia. Plus an extra home game, and not having to drive to both Minot and Bismarck.

vs. Minot W
          at Bemidji L
          vs. Concordia W
          at Duluth L
          vs. Kearney L
          vs. Wayne (Homecoming) L
          at Northern L
          at Moorhead L
          vs. Mary W
          vs. Winona L
          at Sioux Falls L

You have Kearney beating the Mustangs in Marshall. Kearney 3 wins came against 3 teams that had 2 wins total between the 3, furthermore there recruiting class was over 50. I'll take the Stangs'

Comment

I would love to make an early prediction, but I have no idea what to think of the QB situation - yet.

As for RB, I like the kid from Nebraska 8 man kid to make a nice contribution after redshirting, I think the Rosemount kid who redshirted is also well thought of

I might suggest they have at least 3 kids who can easily replace Austin as far as speed, catching the ball, blocking, and talent --- not sure if any are tough and durable like Donnie was though -- man he was a workhorse for 2 years -- nice kid nice player, -- But was never fast or breakaway and that might be the difference this year in the RB room

Comment

I will say 7-4 just to say it

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                I will say 7-4 just to say it
                Here's my general statement on things...

-We won 2 games last year. I don't think it's outlandish to say we can win against both opponents again.
                -VF laid out the argument for the Kearney game.
                -Two conference losses were by 7 points or less. Why couldn't we win those?
                -Adding Concordia to the schedule. That should be a toss up at worst.

That's how I get to as many as 6. But I like your optimism.

Comment

I have us at 5-6 this year - about 3 of those could go in either direction (Duluth, Northern, Concordia).

I don't know anything about UNK so I just threw a guess out there.

vs. Minot W
                  at Bemidji L
                  vs. Concordia W
                  at Duluth L
                  vs. Kearney W
                  vs. Wayne (Homecoming) L
                  at Northern W
                  at Moorhead L
                  vs. Mary W
                  vs. Winona L
                  at Sioux Falls L

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    You have Kearney beating the Mustangs in Marshall. Kearney 3 wins came against 3 teams that had 2 wins total between the 3, furthermore there recruiting class was over 50. I'll take the Stangs'
                    Counterpoint: The mustangs were 2-9 last year with the 2 wins coming against a combined 4-18 record. And their own fans have laid it on pretty heavy about how much they lost from that team, including zero returning QB experience. Not sure that game will be a slam dunk either way.

Comment

[QUOTE=vikingfaithful;n815432]
                      Originally posted by 4THEPAW View Post

Yes I do. SMSU went 2-9 in the NSIC and didn't beat Mary. 3-8 team in the MIAA is probably a 5-6 team in the NSIC. There's a noticeable difference between the two leagues, maybe not with the top 2-3 teams but the MIAA is a lot deeper in my opinion.

Comment

[QUOTE=4THEPAW;n815492]
                        Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Yes I do. SMSU went 2-9 in the NSIC and didn't beat Mary. 3-8 team in the MIAA is probably a 5-6 team in the NSIC. There's a noticeable difference between the two leagues, maybe not with the top 2-3 teams but the MIAA is a lot deeper in my opinion.
                        Kearney went 3-9 against some awful teams, not MIAA killer members. Lincoln is not in MIAA.
                        Washburn: 2-9
                        Northeastern: 1-10
                        Lincoln: 0-11

Comment

I'll add some insight to this Kearney discussion. Yes, we had a bad season last year, going 3-8 with our only wins coming against 0-11 Lincoln, 1-10 Northeastern State and 2-9 Washburn.

However, we also had close losses at Central Oklahoma (3 points), vs Missouri Southern (5 points) and vs Missouri Western (3 points, last-second field goal). That Missouri Western team was an upset loss to Missouri Southern in the final game from being in the playoffs. If a handful of plays in those games go differently, the Lopers finish 6-5.

UNK also led at halftime on the road against Pitt State and trailed by just 5 early in the fourth quarter. They also limited Central Missouri to 17 first half points and trailed just 17-7 at halftime. With how prolific the Mules were offensively, that was pretty impressive. The only game UNK was out of by halftime was the season finale against Northwest Missouri. They were at least within striking difference in the other losses into the second half.

This was with a first-year coaching staff, so some growing pains were to be expected. One of them was how they hamstrung the offense by implementing their preferred spread offense rather than keeping more option elements to utilize the strengths of TJ Davis. In an option offense, there's no QB you'd rather have at the D2 level. But in a passing offense, he was average at best.

The MIAA may not have been as strong at the top last year as it has been in the past, but the depth of the conference can't be argued. Northwest Missouri finished right in the middle of the pack. I don't think that would happen in any other conference. So that UNK team very likely would have posted a much better record if they weren't in the MIAA.

As for 2024, it's obviously too early to tell, but I have to think we'll be better going into the second year under this coaching staff. They've emphasized improving along both lines, and they're going to have a quarterback better suited to run their offense, whether it's the grad transfer we got from Missouri Western who has a lot of experience or one of the young Nebraska kids who set records at their high schools.

I look forward to chatting more about the game when it gets closer. It's nice to have non-cons back on the schedule and to be able to play someone new for a change!

Comment

SMSU extends offer to a RB out of Central Lakes College, played HS at Robbinsdale Armstrong, and has the last name Sherwood.

Rashad Sherwood that is - brother of Jesse. Sounds like it was a "re"-offer.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                              SMSU extends offer to a RB out of Central Lakes College, played HS at Robbinsdale Armstrong, and has the last name Sherwood.

Rashad Sherwood that is - brother of Jesse. Sounds like it was a "re"-offer.
                              I've been kinda hoping for this one...but he's a DB btw

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X